Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] There is ZERO chance of SIGNING anyone today.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
(a) Gross hasn't signed. (b) Mata is a clear upgrade

Re point (b). Gross is approaching 31, Mata is already 34. Last 3 Prem seasons:

Gross: 92 apps, 7 goals, 16 assists
Mata: 36 apps, 1 goal, 4 assists.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
On another thread :

^ good rumour.

Or maybe he has a good mate in Bruno ?

True about Groß.

I am wondering if he is really going to sign. I'm sure he has choices.

Was mentioned on the radio this morning……..one of the presenters had a ‘hunch’ he was coming our way and cited that he’s good mates with El Capitan.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Re point (b). Gross is approaching 31, Mata is already 34. Last 3 Prem seasons:

Gross: 92 apps, 7 goals, 16 assists
Mata: 36 apps, 1 goal, 4 assists.

Mata has been mismanaged at Man U. Gross was brilliant for us when he joined but has deteriorated badly and was poor this season with the exception of the last two home games. Stats misleading IMHO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Mata has been mismanaged at Man U. Gross was brilliant for us when he joined but has deteriorated badly and was poor this season with the exception of the last two home games. Stats misleading IMHO.

Mourinho, Solskjaer and Rangnick have all looked at Mata and ignored him. He's been content to sit on the sidelines, wind down his contract, leave on a free and put himself in prime position for a big wage from one of Spain's second tier clubs.

As for Gross, I'll give you he has lacked consistency but to claim he has been poor is harsh. He's versatile and influential and has seen off Lallana and Alzate, as well as keeping younger players like Leonard out of the side, and he fully deserves another contract for his Cruyff turns alone.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

This is just simply not true. Gross is a fantastic footballer (still) who creates loads of "big chances" even when not getting credited with an assist if they don't come off. But he lacks in pace as we all know. Putting him in a formation where he can be more the "number 10" he was when he first came happened later in the season and we could afford to do it with Caicedo, MacAllister and Mwepu all able and willing to play as box to box midfielders.

When you're playing him deeper and with another slower guy like Lallana then he looks worse than he is.

The genius of Potter was to reset in the break we had after Norwich and come up with a formation that best used all our midfield assets (and handily cut off supply to Kane and Son against Spurs). It really was good coaching but it could only be done when Ali Mac was comfortable playing anywhere in midfield and we'd recalled and selected Moises.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Mourinho, Solskjaer and Rangnick have all looked at Mata and ignored him. He's been content to sit on the sidelines, wind down his contract, leave on a free and put himself in prime position for a big wage from one of Spain's second tier clubs.

As for Gross, I'll give you he has lacked consistency but to claim he has been poor is harsh. He's versatile and influential and has seen off Lallana and Alzate, as well as keeping younger players like Leonard out of the side, and he fully deserves another contract for his Cruyff turns alone.

Personally I don’t think Gross has earned another contract. He just doesn’t fit with Potterball IMHO. That said, GP does seem to love him

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
This is just simply not true. Gross is a fantastic footballer (still) who creates loads of "big chances" even when not getting credited with an assist if they don't come off. But he lacks in pace as we all know. Putting him in a formation where he can be more the "number 10" he was when he first came happened later in the season and we could afford to do it with Caicedo, MacAllister and Mwepu all able and willing to play as box to box midfielders.

When you're playing him deeper and with another slower guy like Lallana then he looks worse than he is.

The genius of Potter was to reset in the break we had after Norwich and come up with a formation that best used all our midfield assets (and handily cut off supply to Kane and Son against Spurs). It really was good coaching but it could only be done when Ali Mac was comfortable playing anywhere in midfield and we'd recalled and selected Moises.

I agree with all of that. Especially Gross far too slow bit

Frankworthington

Jul 17, 2019
South Shields

Sorry mate you should stick to your striker rant

No way should Mata be mentioned in the same breath as Gross. He is older and even slower, has he ever stepped up to the plate at Manure? No!!

Thankfully our Graham has realised Gross is not a holding midfielder or right-back and moved him forward so he can do some damage. It is hard to see Mata picking a pass like he does

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Personally I don’t think Gross has earned another contract. He just doesn’t fit with Potterball IMHO. That said, GP does seem to love him

I would say he fits "Potterball" perfectly. He is so intelligent he can do a job almost anywhere on the pitch. I'll tell you who DOESN'T fit Potterball - Lallana. 54 appearances, 1 goal, 2 assists, not strong enough for a DCM berth, not productive enough for an ACM berth, not pacy enough to play out wide.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Sorry mate you should stick to your striker rant

No way should Mata be mentioned in the same breath as Gross. He is older and even slower, has he ever stepped up to the plate at Manure? No!!

Thankfully our Graham has realised Gross is not a holding midfielder or right-back and moved him forward so he can do some damage. It is hard to see Mata picking a pass like he does

Sorry! But that is nonsense. Gross never has and never will be a patch on Mata. You should stick to your striker nonsense BTW.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
I would say he fits "Potterball" perfectly. He is so intelligent he can do a job almost anywhere on the pitch. I'll tell you who DOESN'T fit Potterball - Lallana. 54 appearances, 1 goal, 2 assists, not strong enough for a DCM berth, not productive enough for an ACM berth, not pacy enough to play out wide.

Gross slower. Gross did do a job at RB. A ****ing awful one. Lala a much better player IMHO

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

It was more than just 2 home games imho, he really upped his game in the last month or so. The March/Gross combo particularly brilliant.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
It was more than just 2 home games imho, he really upped his game in the last month or so. The March/Gross combo particularly brilliant.

The other games being?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Hmmm. Okay. The team certainly were brilliant

A couple of months ago on nsc I posted about the decline of Gross, his key stats were way below those in the CH era. To me, time seemed to have caught up with an already slow player, no loss to wave a fond farewell. An unpopular post!

I was then pleasantly surprised by the resurgence in his game. Oozing all round quality, plus he seemed to get back the legs of a 25 year old Pascal Gross. Such a smart creative player, always forward thinking like Lallana, incredibly hard to dislodge the ball from.

I’m glad I was wrong in the end.

Last edited:

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
A couple of years ago, when he knocked us out of the League Cup, I'd have snapped your hand off for Juan Mata. At his best, he was one of the finest midfielders in Europe. Like Lallana, I can see that he could be the sort of pro you might want to have around the club to help bring youngsters through. He's won trophies throughout his career, including the Champions League and, alright, he was a squad player, but he's won the bloody World Cup! I can't see him playing the number of games that Pascal still can, but if the club see some advantage in bringing him in, then great.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here