Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] There is ZERO chance of SIGNING anyone today.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
You keep saying this while at the same time continuing to make assumptions about Nunez and it makes me want to scream

For a policeman?

Sorry that’s an old Leeds based NSC in joke you probably don’t know about :smile:

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Leeds are a rival and have signed a striker. It is not impossible, as you seem to suggest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn’t suggest it’s impossible, but I do suggest it’s not as easy as you think it is. Leeds bought Rodrigo a 29 yo, who is not a conventional CF, more a false 9 (like Rooney played in later career) he’s not a target man type, he cost 36 million with extras and is on 100k per week by every account for 4 years (till age 33) he was out for a lot of last season with knee injury and only mustered a few goals.

Is this what we should do right now without delay or a second thought?

36 million and 5 million a year smashing every wage cap?

Again your arguments collapse when held up to reality.

Why aren’t you driving a Ferrari or new BMW X5 whatever 100k+ car? Surely it’s just a case of wanting it and kerpow it’s yours. No other considerations?

Reddleman

May 17, 2017
Pay the money how? The Albion will have lost £30m plus last season and don’t have unlimited funds.

Watkins is looking for £70k a week which would wreck the Albion’s pay structure and the fee is £22m for a player who has zero Premier League experience.

Fine then go get Wilson, King, Edouard, Pukki, or someone of that ilk.

All clubs have lost money. We have already brought in circa £11m in transfer/loan fees, and got the greyhound, Kayal, Montoya, Mooy, Murray, Duffy, Button off the books.

We have a net transfer spend this summer of circa minus £10m so I don’t think we are asking that much of go and buy just one striker at market value. We and other clubs have proven buying cheaper options from lesser Europeans leagues just doesn’t work. If we want to be top ten we have to bite the bullet.

BrickTamland

Mar 2, 2010
Brighton
I didn’t suggest it’s impossible, but I do suggest it’s not as easy as you think it is. Leeds bought Rodrigo a 29 yo, who is not a conventional CF, more a false 9 (like Rooney played in later career) he’s not a target man type, he cost 36 million with extras and is on 100k per week by every account for 4 years (till age 33) he was out for a lot of last season with knee injury and only mustered a few goals.

Why aren’t you driving a Ferrari or new BMW X5 whatever 100k+ car? Surely it’s just a case of wanting it and kerpow it’s yours. No other considerations?

I wouldn’t bother mate, the guys heads gone

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

I'm sorry but I have to pull you up on that. How the f*** did that chavmobile get a mention in between a Ferrari and a 100K car :rolleyes:

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I'm sorry but I have to pull you up on that. How the f*** did a chavmobile get a mention in between a Ferrari and a 100K car :rolleyes:

Absolutely necessary to ensure Tarquin or Josh is safe in the car on the drive to school with his mum

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
You keep saying this while at the same time continuing to make assumptions about Nunez and it makes me want to scream

I do hope so. Here to please [emoji112][emoji4]

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004

Newcastle now making their move for Wilson. I guess our striker recruitment approach has been so successful we should never question it!? [emoji23]

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Newcastle now making their move for Wilson. I guess our striker recruitment approach has been so successful we should never question it!? [emoji23]

Question it with retrospect, just like you do Nunez (though making wrong conclusions imho).

Maybe Wilson isn’t a target, in which case it’s irrelevant who moves for him. Or if you’re 100% convinced club have got it all wrong, email barber and offer your free consultancy services!

Our striker recruitment has been mixed, some good, some average the odd rubbish (here’s looking at you Jurgen).

Wesley, joelinton, Haller.....it happens

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003

Yeah, looking like deal agreed at Newcastle for Wilson, although (apparently) it was his preferred destination, even though Villa reportedly offered slightly more.

Still think the club might surprise us all (as in the Veltman deal) and bring in somebody none of us had considered. I'm also accepting of the fact that for at least the first 2 or 3 games we will go with exactly what we have (regardless of any signings this week). Happy enough to start he season as we are, especially as there is still 4 weeks left in the window.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
That’s all fine and I’m sure he was a hot prospect but I definitely getting frustrated with the clubs approach to strikers. It’s like we think we are smarter than everyone else in this department. The likes of Wilson at Bournemouth, PL experience, recent international, is exactly the sort of stoker we should be in for. Clubs that are very likely to be in and around us already are making bids, where are we? Likewise someone like Watkins, just pay the money and get him in. The points we could lose before mid October by the time a new player is signed and settled in could be the difference between relegation or not.

Callum is precisely the kind of player I don’t want us to go for and I’m glad Ashworth and co. agree.

Not forward thinking, deprecating asset, questionable attitude.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Don’t think we’ve covered ourselves in glory since hitting the PL though.

Even Maupay is only okay for me, promising first season, nothing more. I think he would benefit from a stronger partner.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

10 goals in his debut season isn’t enough for you? What on earth do you expect? A striker who bangs in 20 goals at this level?

Imo Maupay has been fantastic, easily one of our best PL signings to date, great character and he will only get better.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
10 goals in his debut season isn’t enough for you? What on earth do you expect? A striker who bangs in 20 goals at this level?

Imo Maupay has been fantastic, easily one of our best PL signings to date, great character and he will only get better.

Agreed but there were quite a few shitehouse comments on the match thread for his performance yesterday!!

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
I don't understand some of the strange posting on here. Everybody knows how difficult it is to find proven, reliable PL-capable strikers. Clearly, spending £40m offers no more guarantees than spending £20m - for as close to certain as possible, you have to spend massive amounts. So frankly, the club are doing the only sensible thing they can - looking for opportunities where a player may be able to make the transition / step up, and spending a decent, but not outrageous amount.

The alternative isn't really a viable alternative. Not for a sensible club anyway.

What Leeds are doing seems ludicrous in their first season back. I know they have to go for it, but if Rodrigo doesn't do well then they've already got a very expensive player on the books. If they go down, they'd better have good relegation clauses, but that will just land them with unhappy players!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here