[Albion] There is ZERO chance of SIGNING anyone today.

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Same old story, we are a selling club so it's inevitable but if we reinvest the money it's not such a bad idea, however we've seen what happened after selling Barnes, Bridcutt, Buckley and Ulloa...

Three of those four were sold to PL clubs. The other was sold to a club on its way to the PL. I'd be amazed if we sold Dunk to Fulham. Bozza has stated that the club has said they'll only sell him for a minimum of £5m to a PL club. I think this is a good position. (Which means I'll be disappointed if we do sell him to Fulham for £3-4m.)

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
. Also although I can see the attraction of the Premier League surely Dunk wouldn't see Fulham as a massive step up

Theyt have made some decent signings so perhaps he sees their chances of promotion greater than ours. He is young so he will be able to stay in the same house and travel less than 1 hour to their training ground, plus the added wages they would offer would all come into his consideration.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Three of those four were sold to PL clubs. The other was sold to a club on its way to the PL. I'd be amazed if we sold Dunk to Fulham. Bozza has stated that the club has said they'll only sell him for a minimum of £5m to a PL club. I think this is a good position. (Which means I'll be disappointed if we do sell him to Fulham for £3-4m.)

I'd heard Fulham were expected to come back this week with £3.8m.

Two things though...

1. It's all very well saying "We'll only sell to the Premier League" but if one of the Championship's rich kids came in with silly money that matched or exceeded our valuation, surely we would sell. Not that I can see it happening.

2. If Dunk said he wanted to go to a Championship side, than surely that changes everything too. Paul Barber has said that when a player wants to leave, then the game changes to achieving the best return for the club. Again - no reason to believe Lewis would want to go to Fulham, but if he did...

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I'd heard Fulham were expected to come back this week with £3.8m.

Two things though...

1. It's all very well saying "We'll only sell to the Premier League" but if one of the Championship's rich kids came in with silly money that matched or exceeded our valuation, surely we would sell. Not that I can see it happening.

2. If Dunk said he wanted to go to a Championship side, than surely that changes everything too. Paul Barber has said that when a player wants to leave, then the game changes to achieving the best return for the club. Again - no reason to believe Lewis would want to go to Fulham, but if he did...

I'm not sure how to interpret this post, and am mildly concerned. I'd be disappointed if we sold him to Fulham for that amount. £5m (with add-ons), and I might change my mind. But, even then, it would send out a message that Dunk doesn't exactly rate our future, given he's keen to go to a club that finished a few places above us last season.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I'm not sure how to interpret this post, and am mildly concerned. I'd be disappointed if we sold him to Fulham for that amount. £5m (with add-ons), and I might change my mind. But, even then, it would send out a message that Dunk doesn't exactly rate our future, given he's keen to go to a club that finished a few places above us last season.

Seems straight forward enough and applicable to any player ... personally i'd be surprised if LD left for a championship club as things currently stand.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Could a mod please correct the spelling mistake in the title, it's annoying. Had we made a load of great signings, I'd say it was a good omen, leave it. But we haven't and I think it's because of this thread.

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
Says a lot that this thread has now turned to talk of keeping hold of our top scorer, a bloody centre back.

Pre season tour done and we've only added one player to the midfield and attack that were frankly woeful for most of last season. We still have bloody O'Grady FFS. 0 league goals. NONE! really hope we put it right in the next few weeks but can't see it to be honest. The warning signs were there when ****ing Barber started releasing interviews after a fairly pleasant couple of months in the shadows during which we actually did a bit of business.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Says a lot that this thread has now turned to talk of keeping hold of our top scorer, a bloody centre back.

Pre season tour done and we've only added one player to the midfield and attack that were frankly woeful for most of last season. We still have bloody O'Grady FFS. 0 league goals. NONE! really hope we put it right in the next few weeks but can't see it to be honest. The warning signs were there when ****ing Barber started releasing interviews after a fairly pleasant couple of months in the shadows during which we actually did a bit of business.

I'm on the fence right now. Our business has been intriguing. I've said for as long as I can remember that we need a permanent left back to bring stability to the back four and we have it (though how good remains to be seen, but he is an international). Rosenior is better than either of the other right backs. Hemed is a totally unknown quantity but at least his highlights reel shows he's strong and good in the air. The goalkeeper signing baffles me. I can see the logic of giving Walton games. However, what happens when he comes back? Is he third in the queue again? How do we evaluate him? For me he did fine when replacing Stockdale last season and he's good enough irrespective of his age. Should have stayed and pushed Stockdale for the starting spot IMHO.

The attack worries me too (again including the caveat regarding Hemed above). Baldock showed he can score when played regularly and if he started off Hemed that would be pretty good. O'Grady isn't up to it at this level and we need to replace with better. Who knows about Colunga? Talented without a doubt but unrated by Hughton and awful at home at times last season. Then there's no replacement for Tex yet while one of our wingers is completely injury prone and the other is bafflingly loved when all he does is step over, cut inside and waste it. Every bloody time.

We need two centre backs, a winger, a creative player and a COG replacement at minimum to come in. Some of those will be loans but not all should be, We also need to hang on to Dunk. Oh, and message to the cheeses, we'll judge the signings around Christmas time again, not at the end of the window.

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde

Have to agree. It seems we will be left behind in the transfer window yet again because the club refuse to spend money.

2 weeks ago it looked like we had learnt our lesson, but lets not forget 3/4 of our signings were free transfers.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports