Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

There is no Tory party anymore

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
Because it's 2013, the world has moved on, 1950s' bigoted attitudes are finally being consigned to the past, and the Tories are making an effort to show that they are relevant. This, while trying to hide the fact that their policies are more damagingly right wing than Thatcher.

What has the year to do with it? It was not in their Manifesto and most of their voters are disgusted that he sneaked in in without a mandate. Complete red herring and waste of valuable parlimentary time and resourses.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
What has the year to do with it? It was not in their Manifesto and most of their voters are disgusted that he sneaked in in without a mandate. Complete red herring and waste of valuable parlimentary time and resourses.

Most of their voters are disgusted? You know that, do you, based on your own prejudices?

Sometimes, even Tories do the right thing.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Can I now remind you it is 2013? What about the Labour MPs NOW?

Thanks, I'd quite forgotten.

Unfortunately, a fair few of the modern Labour Party have followed the ancient Tory template. Less than the Tories, but still too many. It's why I find them less appealing than I used to, and why I have felt disenfranchised at times.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
Most of their voters are disgusted? You know that, do you, based on your own prejudices?

Sometimes, even Tories do the right thing.

lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It was not the "right thing" because it was not in there manifesto, and they had no mandate. There are FAR more important issues that cannot get through Parliment, because their is not enough "time" such as a vote on the EU for example that affects more than a few on the fringes of society.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
Thanks, I'd quite forgotten.

Unfortunately, a fair few of the modern Labour Party have followed the ancient Tory template. Less than the Tories, but still too many. It's why I find them less appealing than I used to, and why I have felt disenfranchised at times.

Well, as Labour have very little history, they will not have an "ancient template" of any kind. They are just a bunch of muppets that get voted in from time to time an proceed to ruin our country, for the Conservatives (sadly not the current batch though, they are just plain useless) to become unpopular when they need to take tough measures to repair things, so they get voted out, and we go full circle again.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
Percentage of Tory MPs who went to Public School - 54.2%
Percentage of Labour MPs who went to Public School - 14.0%
In both cases, the lowest figure ever.

Percentage of Tory MPs who went to Oxbridge - 34.0% (Lowest ever figure)
Percentage of Labour MPs who went to Oxbridge - 17.4%

Thank you for that. Proof if needed that Labour and Conservatives are converging.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It was not the "right thing" because it was not in there manifesto, and they had no mandate. There are FAR more important issues that cannot get through Parliment, because their is not enough "time" such as a vote on the EU for example that affects more than a few on the fringes of society.

Not everything that Governments do is in their manifesto. Surely you know that? Does that mean that it's always wrong?

It's not for you to decide what is more important. To refer to gay people as 'a few on the fringes of society' betrays, once again, your prejudiced standpoint.

To many people the vote was important as it was about civil rights, and the way our society embraces minority groups rather than excluding them, and dismissing them as different. You don't have to be gay to think that this was an important bill.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Well, as Labour have very little history, they will not have an "ancient template" of any kind. They are just a bunch of muppets that get voted in from time to time an proceed to ruin our country, for the Conservatives (sadly not the current batch though, they are just plain useless) to become unpopular when they need to take tough measures to repair things, so they get voted out, and we go full circle again.

An interesting viewpoint.

Absolute bollocks, but interesting nonetheless.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
Because it's 2013, the world has moved on, 1950s' bigoted attitudes are finally being consigned to the past, and the Tories are making an effort to show that they are relevant. This, while trying to hide the fact that their policies are more damagingly right wing than Thatcher.

If you were right about the bigoted attitudes you would have a point. I don't think that many people give a flying **** about Gay marriage. It is a non story, it does not affect anyone detrementally in any way. The point is that it wasted time and money.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
Not everything that Governments do is in their manifesto. Surely you know that? Does that mean that it's always wrong?

It's not for you to decide what is more important. To refer to gay people as 'a few on the fringes of society' betrays, once again, your prejudiced standpoint.

To many people the vote was important as it was about civil rights, and the way our society embraces minority groups rather than excluding them, and dismissing them as different. You don't have to be gay to think that this was an important bill.

Well frankly, unless it is something urgent for a matter of national importance, yes it is wrong. It is without a mandate.

They promised to give a free vote on hunting, enjoyed by far more people, but they cannot find time for it. That is very wrong as it was in their Manifesto.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
You can tell that from those two sets of separate figures? What a fertile imagination you have.

The original point being made has been held as correct - the majority of Tory MPs went to Public School.

No it was not! The original point was they went to public school followed by Oxbridge which you have shown to be incorrect. Also, you have shown that there is a significant amount of Labour MPs to whom it applies.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Not really right that is it? Look at the lot near the front benches for both Labour and Conservaties, they all studied the same degrees in politics at Oxbridge. They are the ones that have read the old mantras. Most left and right wing polititions are "natural" and have training and/or an education and/or prior careers in things outside politics.

I couldn't have made my point very well - I was simply saying that those on the left and right of mainstream politics seem pretty conservative to me, rehashing old ideas instead of coming up with much new. Counter-intuitive politicians like Frank Field in his pomp are rather rare sadly.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Well frankly, unless it is something urgent for a matter of national importance, yes it is wrong. It is without a mandate.

They promised to give a free vote on hunting, enjoyed by far more people, but they cannot find time for it. That is very wrong as it was in their Manifesto.

What do you mean, 'enjoyed by far more people'? It's vehemently opposed by a large majority.

No government sticks entirely to their manifesto. No government ever. And if truth be told, you need a majority in Parliament to constitue a mandate, don't you?

But I'm beginning to sound like I'm supporting Dave and his cronies, which is a bit frightening.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
No it was not! The original point was they went to public school followed by Oxbridge which you have shown to be incorrect. Also, you have shown that there is a significant amount of Labour MPs to whom it applies.

And more Labour politicians went to Oxbridge than went to public school - they worked through the state system. They are therefore more relevant to more people, in my book.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

From the fogures I gave you, you CANNOT extrapolate the numbers of MPs who went to Public School AND Oxbridge. That data simply isn't there.

Unless you have a fertile imagination...

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería

I'm not sure on the numbers but I'd wager there are more gays than fox hunters. A lot more.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here