Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] "There are a few who expect us to win because we are Brighton"

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I think it’s a bit disingenuous of Potter to have a go at expectations getting too high amongst fans when the club have publicised the longer term aim of the club being top ten, and we have attracted players like Lallana who have said that they don’t expect us to be fighting relegation this season and that he wants to bring a winning mentality. Is it not then a reasonable expectation that fans think we should beat a newly promoted club at home, and a team that has struggled so far.
I accept that he wants to create a positive attitude amongst the players and lower any unnecessary pressure but he has to be careful to get the balance right and a dig at certain fans is poor judgement I think. Not often I think that he hasn’t got it right but I thought this was one of those occasions.

Ah, so you're blaming Tony Bloom for aiming for the top ten? No, I'm joking.

But you're certainly correct that we should reasonably expect to be more ambitious against a team with West Brom's recent record. Okay, any team can fail to win, but we almost capitulated in that second half. I go back to his first game, when we were 1-0 up at Watford and he made two attacking substitutions rather than trying to defend the lead. And it paid off. Has he lost that positivity? Have we driven it out of him?

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
not commented on this yet but ...

Potter out of order saying all that crap when we are not even allowed to go

Should apologise.

Earn your money now Potter.

Thin ice !!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Not really seen narky Potter before. He needs to wind his neck in. Nobody "expects to win because we are Brighton", I dunno who the hell he's got that impression from.

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
Hard truth is that one thing stops this kind of chat: results. I don't agree the expectations are high, just our knowledge as fans that failing to get a result v WBA means we will need to get points in more difficult games. It's up to Potter to deliver on that.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
"we have to believe we can win "

would rather he just said

"we believe we can win "

I think I’m ok with whatever someone who has a masters in Leadership and Emotional Intelligence chooses to say publicly tbh.

It’s all horses for courses as far as I’m concerned. Unless he wakes up having turned into Ian Evatt overnight he’s hardly likely to throw his team publicly under the bus but I’m PDS what’s said behind closed doors will differ and the players will know it was a lost opportunity.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
I feel similarly in an attacking/offensive context.
Short-corners, short free-kicks and crossing opportunities in particular. It seems as if some players are waiting for the absolutely perfect opportunity rather than putting it in the box and creating an opportunity.

We didn't used to be so much this way, and I really wonder why as of the past year, we seem to be quite nervous about getting the ball in the box.

Did you open your eyes during the Hughton years at all?

I thought our name was actually “Receive ball in promising position, take a touch and check back & Hove Albion” we did it so much.

Jokes aside I think this part of our game changes dramatically when Maupay has a partner.

Having Lallana and Trossard sitting behind in the hole means even if a winger gets the ball he looks up and sees only one player advanced so we prefer to play through whereas seemingly if there’s two up top and one behind the chances are all three are further forward/in and around six yard box. I think it’s been really limiting us so far.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
"There are a few who expect us to win because we are Brighton"

I’ve only just caught up with this topic.

My take... GP was obviously not in a good mood and answered the generic questions a bit too bluntly. And I’m sure in the light of day he probably regrets the quote. It’s clumsy and, slightly rude to fans yes.

Now.

Some of you here however are being very disingenuous. He is quite right. Many here were expecting, nay, demanding a dominant win against West Brom. we have no divine right to expect that. That’s tremendous arrogance at this level, for a club where we are. It was all over the match threads that day.

Even here, some of you are snootily calling them “a Championship team”. If I’m not mistaken, Brom have earned their place in this league, just as we did in our first season (and we got some surprising results then too).

We had a great first half I think, if we got the second goal different story. This is football, and Brom played brilliantly in that second half. Classic football game of two halves.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
What a terrible performance. That's the manager's equivalent of the second half fumble against West Brom. If he wants someone to explain to him why we feel this team should be doing better, I'm happy to volunteer.

And where should we be exactly? Top 6?

You think we should have beaten Man U, Chelsea, Everton?

West Brom second half is the main really bad performance this season. Maybe the worst in Potters reign. But it’s disingenuous to ignore our very good performances in the above games. A point away at Palace is ok, and a win away at Newcastle is good at our level. So it’s just the Brom game that was a let down.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004

West Brom second half is the main really bad performance this season. Maybe the worst in Potters reign. But it’s disingenuous to ignore our very good performances in the above games. A point away at Palace is ok, and a win away at Newcastle is good at our level. So it’s just the Brom game that was a let down.

So you are saying you expected us to win the West Brom game!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016

Did I say we should be in the top 6? I thought we were very competitive in those matches and we could have beaten Man Utd. They were lucky to beat us on the day as a result of a combination of bad luck and bad finishing. I think our performances have been good for the last year but almost always lacking a punch (with a small handful of exceptions where we've taken the opportunity of going 2-0 up). We've drawn matches we dominated but rarely steal a point when we haven't played at all well. I question Potter's tactics and his in game management but as I've repeatedly said, I'm not saying he should be sacked. But he should show a bit more desire and belief.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Ah, so you're blaming Tony Bloom for aiming for the top ten? No, I'm joking.

But you're certainly correct that we should reasonably expect to be more ambitious against a team with West Brom's recent record. Okay, any team can fail to win, but we almost capitulated in that second half. I go back to his first game, when we were 1-0 up at Watford and he made two attacking substitutions rather than trying to defend the lead. And it paid off. Has he lost that positivity? Have we driven it out of him?

It can’t be crowds that have driven positivity out of GP, he never sees or hears us.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
So you are saying you expected us to win the West Brom game!?

I was as gutted as everyone, with 20 mins to go no doubt, you’d expect the 3 points. but my responses are in the match day thread. I gave credit to West Brom.

And let’s not forget, they got a point vs Chelsea as well. Bilic is a very streetwise manager.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Potter was pretty clear that it was a small minority of fans - "there will be a few "
The faux shock on here at the very idea of it is a bit disengenuous. Of course there are.
If not on NSC - then on other social media or in real life .Not hard to find examples of that attitude.
The biggest fan twitter account for example has gone into meltdown that we haven't beaten a "newly promoted side" and there's plenty of fans agreeing with them.
And again even more pearl clutching at the idea that Potter has noticed it and mentioned it after being led there by the interviewer - so what.
And the same people now deciding its outrageous that he's being tetchy are the same ones who last week were moaning he was boring in post match interviews, had no passion and it was reflected on the pitch.

What a lot of fuss about a couple of mild comments.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Can't really be arsed to read this thread but I imagine some people are up in arms that Potter has mildly criticised some fans' sense of perspective? Fair play. We all get to say what we think about the boss. Perfectly acceptable to stick up for himself I reckon.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
I was as gutted as everyone, with 20 mins to go no doubt, you’d expect the 3 points. but my responses are in the match day thread. I gave credit to West Brom.

And let’s not forget, they got a point vs Chelsea as well. Bilic is a very streetwise manager.

Sorry I could not resist. The bottom line is West Brom at home is one of the games we certainly should aspire to 3 points if we want to survive the drop, which I expect we do. Potter knows this, but he still chose to have a dig at a few keyboard warriors. Frankly, stupid by him, IMHO...

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Not really seen narky Potter before. He needs to wind his neck in. Nobody "expects to win because we are Brighton", I dunno who the hell he's got that impression from.

Couple of dozen noisy bellends on the various Facebook groups for starters - just a few examples of OPs from a couple of the groups - there are dozens of others.

The manager really has to go potterball is not working 1 win this season and no home win since June it’s a results business at the end of the day and we are not getting those results we need new tactics

Seriously potter has to go we can’t even beat West Brom ffs

I think GP is feeling the pressure as this is a pretty feeble excuse regarding our 5 wins in 29 games and a bit of a smoke screen

Sorry but at the start of last season I said #potterout and everyone hit me with rude and abrupt comments, but actually look at the issues right now. We’re playing beautiful football apparently, thats not going to get us the points we need to stay up is it! We’ve good excellent players on the bench??? Yes Brighton are given a hard time by refs but cmon we can’t win. It’s not all down to MR either!

WHO WAS THE MANAGER TONIGHT
(picture of Sami posted below)

It seems that Potter can’t motivate he’s players, maybe the premier league is way to big for him, he may have he’s teams playing pretty football (well most of the time) but they are getting nowhere let’s just hope there are 3 teams worse then us at the end of the season

That was embarrassing!!! Potter needs to get this sorted pretty quickly as his substitutions today were awful!!! Why did he not give Welbeck a run out!! No he put on midfielders instead of a striker!!! Their goal had 4 of our players around him & he still scored!!! Usual B&HA still cannot win a game & we’ll be in the relegation battle all season if things don’t change very soon!!!
Also our Swiss striker is doing Amazing & he didn’t even give him a chance up front!!!
Again total embarrassment!!!

Last edited:

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Potter was pretty clear that it was a small minority of fans - "there will be a few "
The faux shock on here at the very idea of it is a bit disengenuous. Of course there are.
If not on NSC - then on other social media or in real life .Not hard to find examples of that attitude.
The biggest fan twitter account for example has gone into meltdown that we haven't beaten a "newly promoted side" and there's plenty of fans agreeing with them.
And again even more pearl clutching at the idea that Potter has noticed it and mentioned it after being led there by the interviewer - so what.
And the same people now deciding its outrageous that he's being tetchy are the same ones who last week were moaning he was boring in post match interviews, had no passion and it was reflected on the pitch.

What a lot of fuss about a couple of mild comments.

CJ backs up Albion boss’s obvious mistake shock!

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Can't really be arsed to read this thread but I imagine some people are up in arms that Potter has mildly criticised some fans' sense of perspective? Fair play. We all get to say what we think about the boss. Perfectly acceptable to stick up for himself I reckon.

I reckon he should focus on his main job, which is securing more Prem points... the fault was with his tactics, his substitutions, his team... not with a few dingbat keyboard warriors on social media...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here