TheGym Brighton.... or Withdean... Opinions?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

SNOOBS

Feb 25, 2007
Brighton
thegym is cheap... £16.99 a month... does anyone go there or have any opinions. I need a gym thats cheap and only 1 month or 3 month max contracts, and preferably not ramo or shite. Withdean is local and not too expensive I think but I've heard its very small.

Cheers for any help.

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
When I was there, Withdean was extremely small, to the point where you were permanently waiting for machines, and barely any free weights space. It was far from cheap either. The gym is far better value for money, try Corals too, They do student prices and that's where I went before u moved away. I'm in the same boat as looking for 3 month membership while I'm hone for summer.

SNOOBS

Feb 25, 2007
Brighton
Cheers, Corals sound decent for student offer.

Any idea if thegym gets very busy, also not sure about parking down there.

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven

Parking is expensive, Missus has been going now for last year she seems to think it is good.

Dec 29, 2011

It depends what time you go and what you use. The Gym does get very busy at peak times (6pm-10pm) in the weights room, but as there are so many cardio machines the cardio room usually has spaces whatever the attendance is on that evening.
If you're serious about weight lifting, The Gym is a lot better than Corals due to more machines and a squat rack (which is imperative if you are serious).
If you're semi serious, just want to keep fit, and don't mind it being about ten quid more expensive, Corals is a great option too.
It has ample - free - parking, has TVs which can keep you entertained and is nicely air conditioned.
Parking is an issue at The Gym. It's not free until 8pm (before is expensive I have heard) and even after 8pm finding a spot isn't easy, and a walk along Madiera Drive is usually required which isn't ideal.

My overall conclusion would be that Corals would be better suited to the casual gym go-er who lives in Hove. The free parking and relaxed atmosphere does outweigh the fact it's about ten quid more expensive, however if you want to take things more seriously a view to joining The Gym or Cheetas in the future wouldn't go amiss.

Also as a side note, I think that Corals still has a hefty joining fee. If you're looking for a non-contract month-to-month gym, The Gym is the better option (purely for this benefit).

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
I used to go to The Gym after work on weekdays and found it to be pretty busy. Not unbearably so, you could always get one of the cardio machines like a bike, treadmill or cross trainer. But the muscle working equipment was always in use and you'd have to spend half your time hanging around by machines in order to get a go on them.

Of course if yo go off peak I'm sure it's a lot easier

NickBHAFC18

Feb 24, 2012
Brighton
I used to go to TheGym, it was alright to start out on and i suppose if you dont want a contract its perfect. But the equipment was a mess most of the time and it was always really busy and soon started to hate the gym. I joined Fitness First 4 months ago and love it, really good gym, big, and not too busy...but it is a lengthy contract. Withdean is small also, i would suggest doing the free passes, you can try them out for free and see how you like them. My friend ended up doing a month of free passes!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports