Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Theatre 2018

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
What's your name, man?
Alexander Hamilton. My name is Alexander Hamilton. And there's a million things I haven't done...

Going to see Hamilton is not one of the million things I haven't done!

It is a musical theatre phenomenon. Constantly selling out everywhere. It's so popular, there are stringent protections in place to stop touts. You have to take the card you pay with to get tickets printed as you enter. People were queuing around the building 90mins before the show even started. Such is the enthusiasm for it.

And I think that adds to the experience. There is a genuine buzz in the audience and an enthusiasm for the show. People are happy just to be there and are even a poor performance would receive a great reaction to people who, like me, have listened to the soundtrack countless times. But this was far from a poor performance, it was one of the best shows I've been to, and even given the ideal audience, the standing ovation was full and quick (often times one or two stand up right away, some more as each actor comes out for a bow, etc, this time almost everyone jumped out of the seats immediately).

Naturally, being familiar with the original Broadway recording it was a little jarring hearing other voices singing the songs I'm so familiar with, but I have so many soundtracks and have seen so many shows I have developed the ability to to adapt quite quickly. It would be hard to pick out a particular stand out performer. Jason Pennycooke was great in the two roles of Marquis de Lafayette and Thomas Jefferson, Obioma Ugoala brought class and dignity as George Washington, Christine Allado as Peggy Schuyler and Maria Reynolds sounded most like the OST version, Michael Jibson almost stole the show as King George III, and the watching the play you get more of an appreciation of how much rests on Aaron Burr, played here wonderfully by Giles Terera. We had Ash Hunter as lexander Hamilton, he is the alternate/understudy and but I'm not sure you'd know (I didn't until after the show when I looked at the programme).

Also, so. Many. Tight. Pants.

We went and saw this a couple of weeks ago for our Anniversary (booked tickets in Jan!). AMAZING. Absolutely blown away by the whole production (although I didn't think the 2nd act was quite as good as the 1st) despite being a little unsure of how the modern rap would work with the story beforehand. Needn't have worried though as it knitted together superbly.

And yes, those tight pants.....! :drool:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Hadestown
Back in 2006, Anais Mitchell produced a concept album based on the greek myth of Orpheus and Eurydice. At some point someone suggested making it into a musical, and the show has been developed and re-worked through workshops etc and is now currently running at the National Theatre (Olivier Theatre) ahead of a move to Broadway early next year. It is a mix of New Orleans JAzz/folksy blues, and it plays a little loose with the original myth, but I absolutely loved it. The Olivier theatre is a big bowl-type theatre, with all the seats raising up and the stage at the bottom. There are several aspects of the staging that play a part in the story, but I'm not sure any description I give could do it justice - at points the stage and lighting is an assault on the senses. It does have flaws, if you want to look for them (the guy playing Orpheus had a weak voice making him seem foppish, in reworking the story it's a little unclear or inconsistent with how much is changed Hadestown isn't the underworld, but it is, the river of styx is mentioned, but it's a train to get to Hadestown, Hades and Persephone are gods, she affects the seasons, but he is just a miner?) but all of that was largely irrelevant to me. I have had the soundtrack on repeat ever since.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Rocky Horror Show
Just got back from watching the Rocky Horror Show at the theatre royal. I'm a fan of the rocky horror show, so that may colour my opinion, but it's definitely the best show I've seen at the theatre royal in some time. Dom Joly (as the narrator) seemed to be enjoying himself, too.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
I went to the Fortune Theatre in Covent garden on Tuesday for the matinee performance of my favourite play The Woman in Black.

I have seen this several times and never tire of it. This production was slightly different,not better or worse, and the audience were captivated as usual.

If you like a ghost story and haven't seen this, I would strongly recommend it. Its fabulous.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here