Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Theatre 2015

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I went to Dead Simple on Saturday. A good production,

Good to see that woman who used to be in Holby City wandering around in her underwear - or is that a bit shallow?

Mrs went to see Dead Simple last week, I asked her who was in it, she said that woman that was in Holby City, I nearly said ' you mean the fit one' :)

She didn't mention her wandering around in underwear though.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
I went to Dead Simple on Saturday. A good production, I thought, a bit of humour and lots of brutality - well acted, and very clever in the way it presented the various aspects of the story. The stage direction was very good.

I sat in the Gallery, on the side, which was not ideal as parts of the stage were out of sight. Don' t sit there if you can avoid it!

Good to see that woman who used to be in Holby City wandering around in her underwear - or is that a bit shallow?

Saw it Friday and not at all shallow. Highlight of the play in my opinion.
We were in Circle left and some of what was going on was restricted too. Especially the bit with the down and out/special needs/very bad actor guy. Don't want to give anything away but found the whole thing utterly preposterous and poorly plotted. If you don't guess who was involved before the 'climax' I would be worried for you. There was a subtle reference to Spock and Star Trek which I could not work out if it was a tribute or just part of the script?

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Saw it Friday and not at all shallow. Highlight of the play in my opinion.
We were in Circle left and some of what was going on was restricted too. Especially the bit with the down and out/special needs/very bad actor guy. Don't want to give anything away but found the whole thing utterly preposterous and poorly plotted. If you don't guess who was involved before the 'climax' I would be worried for you. There was a subtle reference to Spock and Star Trek which I could not work out if it was a tribute or just part of the script?

Okay. I knew the story, so didn't have to guess. My mum didn't have a clue - but that's probably because that's what she's like.

Still, I thought it was fun.

The slightly 'special' Davey - he wasn't great, I'll give you that.

It was never going to be high-brow, but I enjoyed it nevertheless. I suspect the 'Live Long and Prosper' stuff was coincidental...

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
I feel a bit like @meadesball on the film thread by reporting on two shows in a week

DEAD SIMPLE was a brilliant book. Not such a brilliant play. To be fair this may be influenced by the fact I liked the book so much and that I was in the back row of the Gallery, which was like the very back row of the WSU. Better than missing the play, but not a seat you would choose given a full choice. 5/10

My better theatre experience this week was my first time seeing JERSEY BOYS at the Piccadilly Theatre in Soho whilst the rest of you were at Bolton. Bloody hell this is a fabulous show! How come I've never been before? Can't understand it. Easily the best musical I have ever seen. The music, the story (which was an actual story) the cast, the venue, the pub next door 10/10

If you haven't already voted in this year's Olivier Awards - or you feel like trying to put an NSC fix on such a huge vote - Vote Jersey Boys http://www.olivierawards.com/vote

Jul 7, 2003
Saw The Producers at the Theatre Royal last week. Excellent production with Cory English and Jason Manford both very good in the lead roles and David Bedella and Phil Jupitus supporting. Manford has a surprisingly good singing voice and English was superb including a little improvisation when some of the scenery started moving of its own accord.

Only minor annoyance was Louise Spence but thankfully the others made him somewhat of an irrelevance.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Comedy of Errors was great - any Propellor productions are must-sees even if you think you don't like Shakespeare.

I did enjoy The History Boys - the cast was excellent. Arcadia was tough going in places, but worth the effort.
Very very this.

Arcadia is brilliant but you do have to concentrate.

Seeing King Lear by Northern Broadsides next month
http://www.northern-broadsides.co.u...-to-direct-king-lear-for-northern-broadsides/

PS - the very different interpretations of the Shakespeare history plans by Propellor (Rose Rage), and by Northern Broadsides are possibly the best productions I have ever seen.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
Last week I finally got round to going to the King's Cross Station Theatre to see The Railway Children.

Have a look at the trailer here: http://railwaychildrenlondon.com/

It is a unique venue, for a special story that will be very familiar to anyone who has seen the 1970 film starring Jenny Agguter (n.b. the person I went with had NOT seen the film and didn't know the story!)

And the star of the show is supposed to be the live appearance of a real steam engine. Now for those trainspotters amongst us, "real" steam engine, means a steam locomotive in steam. This was a real 60 ton locomotive, but with wispy "smoke" gently drifting from the funnel. No steam loco smell. No noise. Disappointing.

The actors were good though, comic Sean Hughes was an excellent Mr Perks. And the staging of the play on the stage made up of two platforms and interchangeable sections running in and out on the rails was clever and effective.

To back up with what it says in the programme, the show is ideal family entertainment, by which they mean it is not for trainspotters.

So, take the kids, and I'll go to the Worth Valley Railway in Yorkshire where the film was shot. 6/10

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here