Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The yellow card given to the Greek chap for just standing next to the ref whilst he had his yellow out?

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I'm sure it's been mentioned somewhere but I feel it deserves it's own thread.

I think it was second half, he booked one of ours for a foul, and then it seemed just because he had it in his hand he booked one of theirs. Must have said something, but it certainly looked comical. Doubt he would have done it if it wasn't out, that's what it felt like. A "whilst I'm here" type booking. Lovely.

worthingseagull

Sep 28, 2011
I agree, the ref went from letting numerous wrestling type challenges go unpunished, to booking anyone who looked at him. What a crap ref

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Not sure I’ve seen a game before with thirteen yellows…..amazed there wasn’t a sending off for two yellows
I think it reflected clever tactics from the Greeks. They basically took it in turn to break up the play. No wonder we weren't allowed to show these on the big screen as I suspect it is very common behaviour from a lot of European teams.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I'm sure it's been mentioned somewhere but I feel it deserves it's own thread.

I think it was second half, he booked one of ours for a foul, and then it seemed just because he had it in his hand he booked one of theirs. Must have said something, but it certainly looked comical. Doubt he would have done it if it wasn't out, that's what it felt like. A "whilst I'm here" type booking. Lovely.
I thought it was for a 'waving an imaginary card' type offence.

It was Igor booked for us, in the incident when he was outpaced, so hauled the guy down. I guess the AEK player had not appreciated that there was (just about) cover, and was screaming for a red.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I assumed the player had asked the ref to give our player a straight red, if it's the incident I'm (half) remembering.
You may well be right about that. Still made me laugh though.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Not sure I’ve seen a game before with thirteen yellows…..amazed there wasn’t a sending off for two yellows
Were you at Withdean on Dec 22 2000 for the 2-0 win over Exeter City? If so, you would have seen 13 bookings previously:-

13yellows.jpg

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Not really research, I just have a tendency to remember unusual or extreme Albion-related matches/incidents, and that was fairly extreme!

No idea if that is a record for most bookings in an Albion match but it has to be close!
I remember the ref dealing with a complaints with a shrug. Nothing he could do as they all took it in turns.

Charles 'Charley' Charles

NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2005
The Mile Of Oaks
Were you at Withdean on Dec 22 2000 for the 2-0 win over Exeter City? If so, you would have seen 13 bookings previously:-

View attachment 166826
I remember that match, more for Christmas drinks after work then football, then the night out after. If I recall correctly though it was strange as every Exeter player either got booked, subbed off, or scored an own goal.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here