Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] The Wrestling Thread

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
For me it's Survivor series 88? 89? The one with the all the tag teams in a single match. And random Bret Hart matches.
I picked out RR92 randomly to be honest. Anything from about 86-00 pretty much, but I particularly enjoyed the Rumbles and the Survivor Series PPVs.

Bret Hart was IT for me as a kid.

Still find his style really neat and very easy to watch.

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
I picked out RR92 randomly to be honest. Anything from about 86-00 pretty much, but I particularly enjoyed the Rumbles and the Survivor Series PPVs.

Bret Hart was IT for me as a kid.

Still find his style really neat and very easy to watch.
I'm currently watching everything from 1997 onwards. Bret has just turned heel and formed the Hart Foundation with Owen, Bulldog, Pilman and Neidhart. He was always better as a heel imo especially in this era when everything was becoming a bit more edgy and Bret had such a naturally self righteous promo style. He was absolutely superb in this era and it's such a shame he was gone from the WWF later that year and his days as an in ring performer were numbered.

Attitude Era kicked off shortly before Wrestlemania that year in my opinion. Watching the episodes of raw there was a definite shift in style around March 1997.

Stone Cold is definitely becoming the top star and the most entertaining thing on the show

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I'm currently watching everything from 1997 onwards. Bret has just turned heel and formed the Hart Foundation with Owen, Bulldog, Pilman and Neidhart. He was always better as a heel imo especially in this era when everything was becoming a bit more edgy and Bret had such a naturally self righteous promo style. He was absolutely superb in this era and it's such a shame he was gone from the WWF later that year and his days as an in ring performer were numbered.

Attitude Era kicked off shortly before Wrestlemania that year in my opinion. Watching the episodes of raw there was a definite shift in style around March 1997.

Stone Cold is definitely becoming the top star and the most entertaining thing on the show
When you say you're watching EVERYTHING....? All Raws, Heats, Nitros?

Yeah it seemed to fit his (potentially genuine) attitude to being slightly pissed off at McMahon/the company. I know he went to WCW but in my head his wrestling career basically ended at SS97.

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
When you say you're watching EVERYTHING....? All Raws, Heats, Nitros?

Yeah it seemed to fit his (potentially genuine) attitude to being slightly pissed off at McMahon/the company. I know he went to WCW but in my head his wrestling career basically ended at SS97.
just raws and ppv's in this era. Not sure if the other WWF shows are on the network (smackdown started in 99 I think?).

I'd love to do nitro's as well but it's quite a faff navigating them on the network so maybe I'll tuck into them once I've ploughed through the WWF stuff

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019

to be honest he just never looked like his heart was in it in WCW. They completely botched his debut and from that I think he knew he was in the wrong place and really he joined after they'd already peaked. But then I'm not sure how high up the card he would have been if he'd stayed in WWF with the likes of Stone Cold, Triple H and the Rock storming up the card but you'd expect he'd have been up there for 98, 99 and possibly into 00.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003

That version of the Hart Foundation was my favourite faction ever although very sadly short lived not just due to Bret leaving but the sad passing of Pillman too (even sadder now when you think Bret is the only one of them left). It was great booking to have them heels in the USA but babyfaces everywhere else.

I’m sure most have seen it but it’s well worth watching Wrestling with Shadows if you are a fan of Bret or that era of wrestling.

Crazy Like a Fox by Liam O'Rourke about the life of Brian Pillman is a great read too.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Properly epic main event - loved it.

The noise when that gong went off was awesome.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
For a while I was more entertained by all the back stage goings on at AEW than the show itself. "Brawlout" and the ongoing fallout from that and whether Punk would stay or go, would he be on Collision etc. Then the drama of the news of the Perry fight just before coming out to face Samoa Joe at Wembley. Tony Khan 'fearing for his life'.

But it's getting boring now, isn't it? I admit I was a little excited to see the footage was going to be shown, and was hoping for a big twist. But nothing. Which makes the decision to air it bizarre. It achieves nothing at best, reflects poorly on AEW at worst (losing a drawing star for that? Using the name of a former star to draw ratings because your own product isn't good enough to draw. Not really contradicting anything Punk said legitimising him and his view giving credence to his other comments about AEW not being a business etc).

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
yeh it seems like an odd move, especially this long after the event

I like AEW, there's a lot of talent that I enjoy watching and would much rather watch it than WWE but I think they could do with someone experienced who can guide TK a bit.

He's good at getting talent in and some of his booking has been great BUT he does seem to struggle with the day to day stuff and probably just isn't mature enough to make good decisions on a regular basis. CM Punk was such a big coup for them but unravelled so quickly and needed stronger management- how was it a surprise for them that he'd be likely to rub a few people up the wrong way?!

When you're any wrestling company competing with the behemoth that is WWE you need to be on your game almost all the time and TK just seems to be dropping the ball too often.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
AEW Champion Samoa Joe vs. Swerve Strickland.
I like joe. I've seen nothing in Swerve that I'm drawn to.

AEW Women's Champion Toni Storm vs. Thunder Rosa.
Probably my two favourite women in AEW, if only AEW would take their women's wrestling seriously.

AEW Tag Team Championship Tournament Final: The Young Bucks vs. FTR - Ladder Match.
Really don't care about the Bucks. Thought FTR had been one of the better tag teams of recent years, but Dax's current 'tony pays me lots of money to provide for my family so no one is should criticise him' attitude is souring me on them. Aand of course there's the dull "threat" of a Jungle Boy return that nobody cares about.

AEW TBS Champion Julia Hart vs. Willow Nightingale.
Two women who I hear a lot of positives about, but AEW's lack of focus on and support for women's wrestling means I've not really seen anything of note in them.

AEW Triple Crown Champion Kazuchika Okada vs. Pac.
Pac has a 'wwe lower card' stink on him I struggle to get past.

AEW International Champion Roderick Strong vs. Kyle O'Reilly.
I loved these guys in NXT. Have had no interest in them since.

Bryan Danielson vs. Will Ospreay.
If BD can get Ospreay to be a bit more logical, focus on psychology, this could be a match I'd really enjoy. But I doubt he will. There will probably be a non-sensical 'kick out at one' spot. Though I'm sure people will rave about the match.

Adam Copeland & Eddie Kingston & Mark Briscoe vs. The House of Black.
I like Eddie Kingston. The Briscoes were the only team challenging FTR for best tag team of recent year. Such a shame what happened to Jay. I've never really gotten into the house of black. And other than a 'he sits when he wants' chant, I never really got into Aleister Black when he was in WWE. I've not enjoyed any Edge match since his return from neck injury, so really this match has no appeal.

FTW Champion HOOK vs. Chris Jericho.
This is simultaneously happening too soon (it was only few weeks ago they started working together as mentor and learner), and is dragging on (Jericho is the old guy who won't let go of his spot, and it is dragging down everyone he is programmed with, and I'm not sure Hook had really even proven himself yet.

AEW Trios Tag Team Champions The Acclaimed & Billy Gunn vs. ROH Six Man Tag Team Champions Jay White & The Gunns.
It's been a while and this still feels like a title that was brought in just to give Omega and the Bucks belts while other stars had the main omnes.

Trent Beretta vs. Matt Sydal.
Whatever

Shane Taylor Promotions vs. Orange Cassidy & Katsuyori Shibata.
I don't even know who shane taylor promotions are. Don't care about OC.

Sorry. I don't enjoy being so negative about AEW. I just started going through the card to see if there was anything that might tempt me to watch and there really is nothing. But I realise there are a lot of AEW fans out there. Are any of you excited about/will be watching this show?

indy3050

Jun 22, 2011
Just had to open thread! I went to Summerslam at Wembley and was probably the only one in the crowd holding up a Bret Hart banner when he lost to The British Bulldog :)

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Just had to open thread! I went to Summerslam at Wembley and was probably the only one in the crowd holding up a Bret Hart banner when he lost to The British Bulldog :)
Hey! How dare you disrespect The British Bulldog, who was wrestling in his hometown of London, Manchester, Leeds, Sheffield, London, UK, England!

(Bret Hitman was the best there ever was…)

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
Sorry. I don't enjoy being so negative about AEW. I just started going through the card to see if there was anything that might tempt me to watch and there really is nothing. But I realise there are a lot of AEW fans out there. Are any of you excited about/will be watching this show?
haven't watched it yet but by all accounts it was a very good show, as most AEW ppv's are in my opinon

Danielson vs Ospreay was apparently exceptional

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here