Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] The Wrestling Thread

ElectricNaz

Jan 23, 2013
Hampshire
A horrible week for wrestling fans with the loss of Terry Funk and Bray Wyatt. Seen some posting about the lack of a general wrestling discussion thread, so here we are.

AEW All In is tonight at Wembley stadium, will set a record (outside of forced and enslaved viewership in North Korea) for being the largest crowd at a wrestling event. I'll certainly be watching!!!

Bring back Bryan wade!!

I wanna caravan for me ma
Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks
Interesting fact my cousin has been a well known wrestling promoter for many years in the UK and actually had the privilege of managing Terry Funk for a while when he came over to the UK. I know he sees this as the high point of his career in the industry where Funk was so revered.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Interesting fact my cousin has been a well known wrestling promoter for many years in the UK and actually had the privilege of managing Terry Funk for a while when he came over to the UK. I know he sees this as the high point of his career in the industry where Funk was so revered.
Does your cousin support Ipswich Town by any chance?

Bring back Bryan wade!!

I wanna caravan for me ma
Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks

ElectricNaz

Jan 23, 2013
Hampshire
The funkster was massively revered. Don't think I'd wanna work with my heroes though, can't imagine it going well haha

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I struggle with AEW. I don't care for most of the wrestlers they are pushing as their stars, the booking/storylines doesn't work for me, and the matches are not what I look for in wrestling (I'm a bit more old school, a have a preference for more ground-based, style. I don't mind occasional high spots that are built to, but I don't want a stuntfest or a gymnastics show). There are occasional bits I like, and I've got a few of their PPVs in the past, but it just doesn't pull me in full time.

Am considering getting All In, though it is airing on ITV4 on thursday evening. The problem is if I don't watch it live, I won't be able to avoid the results and analysis on the news site I follow or the what culture wrestling videos I watch, and if I wait I will be put off by the adverts and knowing all the results and such.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
What's the deal with results/spoilers? I would suggest if it's a broadcast available in the uk it's not a spoiler? Will try to avoid spoiling anythng until others chime in with their thoughts on it.

To that end, pre-show Zero hour for All In is on youtube, and we've just had a fun tag title match with MJF/Adam Cole
winning the tag titles ahead of their main event against each other.

And they've just shown Mercedes Mone in the crowd.

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
Don't mention wrestling to Fulham fans or you're liable to be wrestled to the ground. Our 'Director of Football ', Tony Khan, heads up AEW and is also the CEO or something of the Jacksonville Jaguars NFL team. A lot of us feel he doesn't devote the time, effort or money to making sure Fulham stay and prosper in the EFL rather than his tinpot other 'sporting ' interests.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Don't mention wrestling to Fulham fans or you're liable to be wrestled to the ground. Our 'Director of Football ', Tony Khan, heads up AEW and is also the CEO or something of the Jacksonville Jaguars NFL team. A lot of us feel he doesn't devote the time, effort or money to making sure Fulham stay and prosper in the EFL rather than his tinpot other 'sporting ' interests.
Would imagine the Jaguars is the most expensive venture of his, NFL player salaries are mad

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Jack Perry pointing out the real glass is another of the things that is car crash (ironic) - the don't want to look/can't look away aspect of AEW. He reportedly wanted to do a stunt with real glass on collision a few weeks ago, but CM Punk shut it down. So he's being a littel petulant there, and they should just keep it in the locker room.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Oh just seen - the Knight family?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Man, the crowd is so much more pumped than the crowds you see on the TV shows. Great atmosphere
It's what happens at wrestling-starved areas. Same as Puerto Rico for Backlash.

Joe/Punk was the biggest pull for me on this card.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Jack Perry pointing out the real glass is another of the things that is car crash (ironic) - the don't want to look/can't look away aspect of AEW. He reportedly wanted to do a stunt with real glass on collision a few weeks ago, but CM Punk shut it down. So he's being a littel petulant there, and they should just keep it in the locker room.
PWInsider reporting there was a backstage incident between Punk and Perry (mistyped that as petty, subconscious, I guess). Exact details being worked on, some saying punk 'went after' perry, some say Punk 'hit' him. One to watch. Tony Khan might have to start considering who to make the interim 'real world champ'!

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
PWInsider reporting there was a backstage incident between Punk and Perry (mistyped that as petty, subconscious, I guess). Exact details being worked on, some saying punk 'went after' perry, some say Punk 'hit' him. One to watch. Tony Khan might have to start considering who to make the interim 'real world champ'!
Almost a year on from the last time Punk pulled some backstage shenanigans isn't it?

7:18

Brighton & Hove Albion
Aug 6, 2006
Brighton, England
I’ll be watching Emergence tonight instead, live from the beautiful Rebel complex in Toronto

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here