Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The worst musical instrument ever

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Ukelele. Most pretentious shit on the planet, combined with whistling; it's a hipster knob's wet dream as he adds it into the background of his/her YouTube video.

But the ukulele sounds fantastic. You can't judge an instrument by the prick who's playing it.

The worst instrument in the world, is the Recorder. 100%. It NEVER sounds nice. Never. Hideous sound. Urgh.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
The clarinet was once described as "an ill woodwind that nobody blows any good" and I generally go along with that.

The stylophone is tainted by association with Rolf Harris but appeared on Bowie's 'Space Oddity' so I reckon that gets it out of jail.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
But the ukulele sounds fantastic. You can't judge an instrument by the prick who's playing it.

The worst instrument in the world, is the Recorder. 100%. It NEVER sounds nice. Never. Hideous sound. Urgh.
The recorder is actually a fantastic instrument. It's got a very pure tone and there is some fabulous early music written specifically for it. What puts most people off is all they know is overblowing into a plastic descant recorder at school. It does have a narrow range though (that's why it comes in five sizes) which is why it was eventually replaced by the flute.

...................The instrument I'd chuck into Room 101 would without doubt would be the electric lead guitar, when made to sound like a strangled cat, like it so often does. I once tried listening to a South Bank Show special on Jimi Hendrix to see if I could over come my prejudice around the instrument (played in that style) - I failed miserably and didn't make it to the end of the programme.
:ohmy:

Sacrilege!

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
:ohmy:

Sacrilege!

To be fair, Brovion has hit the nail on the head. It's not so much an instrument in itself, but most often the style in which it's played.

Electric guitar in the hands of rock musicians has me climbing the walls. Put the same instrument in the hands of an African musician for what Gerry Lyseight calls "sunshine guitar" and it's music to my ears.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Another vote for the recorder. I have a completely irrational hatred of any and all round music and 'London's Burning' and 'Three Blind Mice' being played round on the recorder is my idea of hell.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here