Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The Worst Ever Food You’ve Eaten At The Amex

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Wouldn't surprise me.

10 years ago, I honestly don't think I'd even heard of pulled pork or seen it anywhere. Now it seems to be all over the shop, in fast food joints and on pub / restaurant menus. Shredded "pulled" meat always looks thoroughly unappetising to me, and as you say, is probably used as a cheap option to easily disguise a multitude of meaty sins.

In Canada in the 80s it was illegal to sell crap like 'cheese strings' or processed cheese as 'cheese'. It had to be called 'cheesefood' (one word).

Perhaps pulled pork should be required to be called 'meatfood'. Or 'offalfood' or 'shitfood' or whatever it actually is. It is the sweet sauce it comes with that is the real killer, though. Once was enough for me. :sick:

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Not convinced there is any ale in the pie anymore, even the signage at the warmers says just steak. Being civilised I used to eat my pie with a provided wooded fork, these are like gold dust now.

Disappointed with the pies cost more and served in a paper bag, generally hit or miss as others have said.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
We're clearly pretty well looked after in the North Stand. Our food is as good as any I've tasted at other grounds with the sausage rolls and pizza being my particular favourites. The coffee could be better though.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Worst away food last season (although i didn't go to many) was at the Emirates.

A non-branded balti pie that fell apart in the box easier than Jurgen Locadia and £5 for the privilege. I hate scooping out the curry and getting it under my fingernails for the rest of the match and waiting to wash my hands. Found it ok and edible though but for a fiver you should get a spoon if the caterers know it's going to collapse. Maybe I didn't look round long enough to take one if they were about.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
I had a burger once......never again! Pies are pretty good from the ones I've had but I really don't get why people rave so much about them.

Surprised the real ale experiment has lasted as long as it has to be honest. First season at the Amex it started so promisingly. You'd get the odd bad one but on the whole for the volume they were turfing out it was good. As the season went on it for worse and worse to the point it was basically a coin toss if you were going to get something drinkable. The final straw came one half time when three of us had a pint, all three said how crap it was and all three spent the second half feeling like shite. Haven't touched Harveys from there since.

Anyone know why did Dark Star stop supplying Hophead?? Quality reasons?

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Worst I've had (well my kids had) was a hotdog that had obviously been sat around a while so all the steam had made condensation inside the wrapper so the bread was just a soggy mess.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Hotdogs...they're bad

Then I overheard one of the catering staff describing their preparation and they tasted worse....

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I don't quite get this appetite for pulled pork that seems to have come about over the last few years. It looks an utter mess, and in my experience (albeit not at the Amex) it really doesn't taste much better than it looks.

Anyway. Food at the Amex is ALWAYS a last resort, usually midweek games if I've gone more or less straight from work and not had time to sort some proper nosebag. I don't think I've had anything that I'd describe as outright "disgusting", but I've had a few very drab dry, lukewarm cheeseburgers over the years. At the time, your empty stomach is telling you "buy one, buy one, buy one". So against your better judgement, you do. Then you start eating it and your brain sighs wearily and says "Yup. Told you".

The pies are a bit of a lottery as well. But its all mass-produced pre-heated gunk. What do we expect ?

Pulled pork goes further and is filled with factory sweepings. It’s a money saving exercise. Simple as that. The food at the Amex is overpriced slop. Haven’t eaten there for years.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Harveys is racked bright so isn't going to be top, but it's damn better than keg stuff. Pies are generally brilliant, only had one that I thought could have been better. On the whole great although I only have Harveys and pies :)

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I've only ever had 2 pies, both horrible.

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
If I'm going to a game on my own, I usually take the train and eat in the city before the game (there's loads of choice on Queen's Road leading up to the station). If going with my dad, we often take the car and then sometimes eat at the ground. I tend to go for the chicken and ham pies, which I'd probably compare similarly to M&S's chicken pies that I used to have occasionally.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
It would be easier to say when you have had something that wasn't bad as a consequence never buy anything at The Amex now except Bovril as I have learned my lesson.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Last pie I had was truly awful, around 4 years ago.

Gave up after that

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
I have had a pie, in a wide variety of flavours, but most often chicken, at pretty much every home have since the Amex opened. The vast majority (all but a very few) have been bloody delicious.

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
The hotdogs are the only things I’ve had - in a rush to get some food on my belly at an evening game - that I really, really wish I hadn’t. Everything else has been pretty tasty on the whole.

Has anyone ever had an arancini that the Italian food kiosk at the east end of the north stand claims to do?! Can’t say I’ve ever seen anyone eating one.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here