Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] The world has gone mad

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
He's only a couple years younger than me, he's no dinosaur. I knew not to use that word then (if that is indeed the word used), so did he.

Strange wording to the apology that he's apologising to West Ham more than anyone he caused upset to. Anyway, I don't see why it's mad to do what is surely common practice to investigate hate speech, even if it was a few years ago.

Please accept my apology for laughing at a Les Dawson mother-in-law joke back in 1983. It was insensitive of me, thoughtless and may have offended someone who sees my apology 40: years later. I would like to offer to undergo diversity realignment, and to possibly become gender fluid so that I can more readily appreciate the challenges faced by my then non existent mother-in-law.

Last edited:

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I would also like to apologise in case I used the original Eeney, Meeney, Miney, Mo at Infants School in the late 50's or early 60's or allowed myself to be included when others used it. I have had loads of diversity training since then and now use Ip, Dip, Dog, Sh1t, You're it.

Why would the FA investigate you? Like it or not this person is a high profile figure in a high profile industry. Its irrelevant what you said when younger but its not irrelevant what this guy said

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
He hasn't offended anyone. Someone has decided to highlight something he said as a kid to make some sort of capital somewhere.

Outrage is not an emotion, it is a weapon of agenda.

Welcome to modern society.

I agree, anyone outraged that he might be punished in some form for an aged racist comment, has an agenda.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I would also like to apologise in case I used the original Eeney, Meeney, Miney, Mo at Infants School in the late 50's or early 60's or allowed myself to be included when others used it. I have had loads of diversity training since then and now use Ip, Dip, Dog, Sh1t, You're it.
:lolol::bowdown: Thank you, that did make me giggle first thing in the morning!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Please accept my apology for laughing at a Les Dawson mother-in-law joke back in 1983. It was insensitive of me, thoughtless and may have offended someone who sees my apology 40: years later. I would like to offer to undergo diversity realignment, and to possibly become gender fluid so that I can more readily appreciate the challenges faced by my then non existent mother-in-law.

It's not gender surgery you need. Someone needs to implant you with a sense of humour.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Why would the FA investigate you? Like it or not this person is a high profile figure in a high profile industry. Its irrelevant what you said when younger but its not irrelevant what this guy said

Don’t be so daft. They’re essentially investigating a child in childish idiocy shocker. He also didn’t finish his homework once which I suppose the FA should investigate next. As others said, it’s agenda driven and the epitome of a modern witch hunt. IMO of course

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Laughable I feel . Anything said by a 15 year old that you go back to 9 years later is a waste of time . Lots of kids and I expect most teenagers use offensive language at some time . Words however offensive are just words although obviously they can hurt . As long as 1 the teenager has not physically hurt anyone that I would hope by the time they reach 18 years old they have learnt how to speak without being abusive .

Unfortunately we live in a world where someone somewhere seems to get offended at anything they take issue with . For example last week a woman from London complained about a poster for swim london that had a photo of 3 kids , 2 of which were girls dressed as mermaids and a slightly younger boy dressed as a shark . All the kids looked very happy and were smiling . The woman complained the poster was sexist . This is the type of taking offence that effects real abusive language and behaviour being taken seriously by everyone . Most mermaids are female but this woman still wanted to push her point about gender stereotypes which whilst I agree with broadly ( that is girls can do everything boys can do ) was not relevant to this totally innocent fun kids poster .

So whilst I’m blabbering on , in summary - concentrate on important issues like discrimination against people because there different , whether is religion , disability , skin colour , gender or sexual orientation etc they are all hurtful . But don’t start digging into what someone did as a kid 9 years ago , 99% of people evolve and grow up that what life’s all about .

Also we should look to celebrate differences.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Bowen made the remark as a 15 year-old child. A schoolboy. A minor. If common sense was applied here then this matter could be dealt with by a simple but heartfelt apology. Unfortunely, the heft of an investigation means Bowen the 24 year old man will carry the guilt and stigma of racism from now onwards.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Unfortunately we live in a world where someone somewhere seems to get offended at anything they take issue with . For example last week a woman from London complained about a poster for swim london that had a photo of 3 kids , 2 of which were girls dressed as mermaids and a slightly younger boy dressed as a shark . All the kids looked very happy and were smiling . The woman complained the poster was sexist . This is the type of taking offence that effects real abusive language and behaviour being taken seriously by everyone . Most mermaids are female but this woman still wanted to push her point about gender stereotypes which whilst I agree with broadly ( that is girls can do everything boys can do ) was not relevant to this totally innocent fun kids poster .

What about the mermen and the non-binary merpeople?

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
It's not a waste of time and money, if it spreads awareness of what is unacceptable amongst teenagers and that your actions as a child can come back to bite you on the arse then investigation and action is a good thing, IMO.
FWIW the lad grew up in Leominster which is not exactly a hotbed of diversity so he was probably less likely to be aware of the offence the N word can cause than if he had been born in Tower Hamlets.
Hopefully any punishment will be an apology and a donation to Kick it out.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

We also live in a world where some people appear to sign on to online football message boards specifically for the purpose of posting on any thread with vaguely racial overtones.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011

You are not it. surely??

Worrying that you don't know the real version of the alternative dibs?
Are you sure you aren't still secretly using eeney meeney??

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
the question for me if this is overreach by FA, looking at something before a player is professional and under their rules feels wrong. maybe depends what they decide at the end of the investigation, are they going through the motions.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
I suppose they're worried that no punishment/investigation sends the message to 15 years olds that its okay for them to use that language because of their age. So long as he makes an apology then that should be the end of it.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
We also live in a world where some people appear to sign on to online football message boards specifically for the purpose of posting on any thread with vaguely racial overtones.

I post on a cross section of issues . Racism is an important topic but I have wide interests and have opinions on most things . Lots of the same posters I see regularly post on similar threads . Have I said anything you don’t fully agree with ? Or do you not tolerate any views that might be marginally different from yours ?

Think you will find the majority of my posts are football related .

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Surely the most obvious thing to have done was arrange a private meeting with the guy at his home and get his thoughts on the matter. If he has changed then end of.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here