Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The World Cup

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
I think there's a different approach with this world cup when to comes to England, as nobody, not even England fans are expecting them to win it for once.

I am not sure after 1970 that anyone has ever expected England to win the World Cup. Not even in 1990. Not even in Germany 2006 - which was our best chance since then.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
On balance I'm looking forward to it but the fact so many of the world's best players play in English football have taken away some of the mystique, e.g. back in 1982 the fulcrum of Brazil's midfield (Socrates) appeared from nowhere as some sort of footballing demi-god. Whereas this week the fulcrum of their midfield (Oscar) was an unused sub for Chelsea vs. Norwich.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
On balance I'm looking forward to it but the fact so many of the world's best players play in English football have taken away some of the mystique, e.g. back in 1982 the fulcrum of Brazil's midfield (Socrates) appeared from nowhere as some sort of footballing demi-god. Whereas this week the fulcrum of their midfield (Oscar) was an unused sub for Chelsea vs. Norwich.

True. I remember travelling to see West Brom v Valencia in 1979 just to have a look at Mario Kempes. You may never have got another chance to see the star of a World Cup.

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
I can't get PROPERLY excited until my exams finish on June 2nd.

The days have been rolling by nicely though, just under 5 weeks now! Have a feeling in my water that this WC will be one to remember.:love:

Anyone entered any work/college SWEEPSTAKES? That's always something that helps with the anticipation. I got Ivory Coast and Chile.:tosser:

Could have been worse, you could have got England.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
I can't get PROPERLY excited until my exams finish on June 2nd.

The days have been rolling by nicely though, just under 5 weeks now! Have a feeling in my water that this WC will be one to remember.:love:

Anyone entered any work/college SWEEPSTAKES? That's always something that helps with the anticipation. I got Ivory Coast and Chile.:tosser:
I did and got Italy :thumbsup:

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
The build up to the WC officially starts on 25th May :) (or Monday morning :( ). Right now, there is no WC.

Very much this.

Regarding England, I am AMBIVALENT. This could CHANGE, if Hodgson decides to be BOLD and take the likes of Barkley, Lallana, Sterling etc. If he goes with the OLD GUARD, it will be all a bit meh

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Seen enough England struggles to not be concerned how we get on but for me the last few have disappointed with the big world players failing to make an impression.

Really enjoy watching international tournaments and hope Brazil can deliver the tournament and entertainment we all want

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
I talk about the world cup on average about 17 times a day...it's my favourite time. My excitement is building, it seems like a country is releasing their squad each day (england on monday), my panini sticker album is coming along nicely, i've been enjoying the bbc's "100 world cup moments" videos each day....it's just the ruddy WORLD CUP

the CUP of the WORLD

a big fat stinking THIS

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Unlike any previous WC I find myself with little interest this time round, a combination of the Endemic corruption at FIFA along with billions spent on this tournament in a country where widespread poverty and Social unrest is common coupled with the inevitable failure of our national side have lead me to an attitude of complete apathy. I'm sure the Brazilians will put on a decent show even with barely finished venues and a chaotic infrastructure but I'm hoping that the people of Brazil will protest like they are promising to and disrupt the WC and cause FIFA the maximum embarrassment and aggravation. My biggest wish would be Sepp Blatters motorcade getting ambushed and seeing the smug flabby faced **** get a good kicking.

If on the off chance Blatter was assassinated, Fifa's response would totally misjudge the mood of the entire world. They would insist on black armbands and endless tributes. Everyone else would be doing a samba.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
As the media hype mounts even further, starting to look around for a couple of wallcharts now. One for home (large) and something more portable for the weeks on holiday. Whatever happens in that field, have decided to have a major £1.50 (sod the holiday expenses) punt on Argentina.

Eurobound

Brazil 2014- here we come
Nov 3, 2003
Hopefully England will finish second- then they will play their game in Rio :wink:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here