Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The World at War

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Soviet losses had an awful lot to do with Soviet military doctrine at the time and the internal problems that Stalin's purges and show trials had on the effectiveness of Soviet forces. Sending untrained, ill-equipped boys up against SS, panzer and crack Wehrmacht troops was always going to result in an inordinately high death toll. Purging the majority of Field Marshals prior to the invasion was not a good idea either and left the Red Army woefully short of quality field commanders.

Oh and yes, the fighting in the East was particularly savage and brutal. Just ask anyone who is of Ukrainian descent.

definitely brutal...they mentioned in the series, that 4 out of 5 Germans died in the east...i think once they got themselves together, they acquitted themselves well.T-34 and KV-1s suddenly appeared early in the war, after the original slaughter, when whole Soviet armes were surrounded, the Stormovick squadrons, and the part the partizans played behind the German lines, was pretty amazing ....

Sweeney Todd

Apr 24, 2008
Oxford/Lancing
Laurence Olivier’s haunting narrative makes it for me.

It is one of those series that you never tire of watching.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
You're right about the Brits not defending our Asian interests as hard as the Dutch and French, though I would argue that that was every bit as much to do with the economy being a total basket case as it was a result of well thought through policy. Indeed, Churchill famously was dead against Indian independence, for example.

I liked the fact, that we re-armed the Japanese at the end of the war in Vietnam and used them in a policing role, until the French turned up again...

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
You're right about the Brits not defending our Asian interests as hard as the Dutch and French, though I would argue that that was every bit as much to do with the economy being a total basket case as it was a result of well thought through policy. Indeed, Churchill famously was dead against Indian independence, for example.

I agree the British Empire was lost very reluctantly by most UK leaders (except possibly Mountbatten). But at least the realisation that it was untenable did eventually hit home.

Another aside. About 20-odd years ago I was in Jakarta, and visited the exhibition that was (maybe still is) under the independence monument ("Sukarno's last erection") on Merdeka square. It was (is?) a series of chronological dioramas showing first the Indonesians under the Dutch yoke, then them fighting for their freedom, before finally gaining independence in 1949. At the time there was an old Dutch guy in there too (possibly a veteran). I was very tickled to see he was the only one doing the rounds in reverse chronological order, so it had (for him) a happy ending...

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I agree the British Empire was lost very reluctantly by most UK leaders (except possibly Mountbatten). But at least the realisation that it was untenable did eventually hit home.

Yes, but untenable financially, not on principle. I agree about Louis though.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
What the hell is going on in this thread, sensible and intelligent debate? Is this what NSC's for?!

The World At War is brilliant and in my best box set to watch, after Battlestar Galactaca.

I keep half remembering the Vietnam one from when we watched it at school I will give that a go.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
WWII documentaries on QUEST/Yesterday channels use a lot of repeated stock footage to cover several 'events' i.e. German troops 'retreating across Russia in 1943' is actually footage of German troop training manoeuvres in 1939 etc. Am guessing World at War doesn't do so much, or any, of this (long time since I've watched any World at War).

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
I remember watching this series when I was studying my History GCSE at school 20 years ago. It was a great, informative watch and Olivier's narration added a lot to the overall quality of the series.

brixtonA23

Aug 5, 2011
A Passion for Angling.

Boom beat that! Great English countryside, well shot, good narration, what more do you need?

What a wonderfully crafted series. If Redmire inspires a new generation, then all is well with the world.

brixtonA23

Aug 5, 2011
You're welcome.

They still think they saved the World in WWII by the way, ignoring their late late showing, Britain's tiny islands taking on the wave of fascism almost alone, and us declaring war on Japan before they allied with us v Germany and Italy (etc).

Vietnam has no glory, and all lessons have been ignored.

Much as I agree with the sentiment, they did win the war for us. As Admiral Yamamoto said after the day of infamy. All I believe we have done is to wake a sleeping giant. English speaking and can be mad as badgers, but without them to help us, the war may have lasted a damn site longer.

Korea, Vietnam, Grenada, Panama, no glory indeed. But a democracy that could have ruled the world decided not to. Enough for me to give them respect.

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
Can anybody think of a better documentary series?

I would ask anybody with kids interested in history to let them watch this. And as a tie in, a Brighton resident is absolutely superb as narrator. Never seen, just heard, but a class apart.

Yes, a great series. Got the whole lot free by collecting Daily Mail dvds.

Another great series was The Civil War. Full history of American Civil War. Music was great also.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
I agree 'The World at War' set the standard that so many have failed to match. 'Hell in the Pacific' was ok but too many other WWII documentaries (mainly American) include too much generic and inaccurate footage which immediately gives doubts as to the accuracy of the rest of the content. Also makes me think how easily pleased US TV audiences must be.

Max Hastings and Anthony Beevor's books give realistic appreciations of, for example, the Eastern Front. Horrendous on both sides but you also feel relieved that Hitler decided to take on the Russians at the expense of the Western front, otherwise our history could be very different.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
Does anyone remember " all our yesterdays "on a Sunday lunchtime.

That was an great series also, but op is right, the world at war is incredible....the episodes where the first troops encounter the death camps is ingrained on my memory

I remember this series Brian Inglis ? was the narrator----very mat of a fact---clipped English (showing age!)
First time I remember film of results of actual fighting----something we are all used to now.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
This is the best history progamme on 2oth century history I have ever seen

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here