Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Withdean years

Bracknell_Gull

Jul 4, 2011
Bracknell
Nope, it was rubbish. Although, I did like the walk along the running track and the fact you could stand there for the last five minutes and almost pretend it was terracing. Other than that Withdean was crap.

very much this. the congregation towards the south-east corner of the ground for the last minutes of every home game was a unique aspect of Withdean and one you're unlikely to ever experience again.

I also fondly remember getting on the pitch, in the dugouts and the home changing room after queuing for my play-off final tickets through the turnstiles at Withers. The tactics and who was marking who at set pieces for the second leg against Swindon were still up on the whiteboards.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I miss the Goldstone - Withdean seemed 'odd'. somehow unreal.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
Over the past few months I've been scanning through the Withdean years for the Seagulls Programmes website.

It has made me realise how much I DID enjoy those seasons. It's pointless comparing the facilities we have now, but at Withdean, we just made it work. The first couple of seasons we were just glad to be there and then we had all the build-up to the 'Falmer Yes' times, then it was looking forward to the new stadium. On the pitch, 4 promotions while we were there says a lot. We only had six in 95-odd years at The Goldstone!

smiler

Jan 12, 2006
Shoreham by Sea
Do you miss them?

In some ways I do. Overachieving underdogs, back to back Championships, the romp to the Championship under Gus.

Ok it rained and we got wet and the pies weren't as good

Never thought I'd get misty eyed about that ramshackle ground but as fans the football was often fantastic or gripping, even in the relegation seasons, no?

What we have now will no doubt better those days eventually I'm sure

But the hotdogs were better

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Both were FUN and I wouldn't swap either of them. We have had plenty of absolute shite before, between and after, we need to grasp the good years!!
Yeah that's true. We were achieving amazing things against the odds at Withdean. However i still don't regard it as our most successful. We, as fans, and as a club, did have the most incredible rapport though and that's something we will never replicate. I am more with Papa L as I really miss the Goldstone. What i would give to watch us demolish Sheffield Wednesday for promotion to the 2nd division again!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
All this talk makes me want to dig the Withdean Years DVD out again. Do you know, I think I jolly well will.

Kosmonaut

Proud Hoveonian
Feb 10, 2013
Hove
I loved it because I lived nearer to the stadium, something about it just felt very cozy. Plus it was very cheap (was only a teenager for much of the period so usually got a discount).

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
The Withdean team of 2004/05 was better than our current side, which shows how much we punched above our weight at times.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Do you miss them?

In some ways I do. Overachieving underdogs, back to back Championships, the romp to the Championship under Gus.

Ok it rained and we got wet and the pies weren't as good

Never thought I'd get misty eyed about that ramshackle ground but as fans the football was often fantastic or gripping, even in the relegation seasons, no?

What we have now will no doubt better those days eventually I'm sure

And forever reaching hotdogs

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Withdean? I miss the Priestfield. Now those were the days of the Superfan.

Name me a game that you really enjoyed there please, apart from that 4-4 thriller over the Xmas period :smile:

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
Name me a game that you really enjoyed there please, apart from that 4-4 thriller over the Xmas period :smile:

Didn't we have a few good ones during the first half of the second season, which prompted the club to bring out the "Horton's heroes" video although part two was sadly never made.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
I miss the opposition fans from those days. it's easier to like 50 blokes from Darlington who've travelled miles to see their team likely lose at a crap athletics stadium than 2000 fans who believe they have a divine right to be in the Premier League and somehow still manage to be snooty about the ground despite the fact their team plays in some identikit bowl in some dull provincial city

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove

4-1 vs Rotherham wasn't bad. Harty & The Bear on the scoresheet.
Didn't we also have four away wins on the spin (Cambridge, Shrewsbury..and two other places) during the same season?

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
I miss the opposition fans from those days. it's easier to like 50 blokes from Darlington who've travelled miles to see their team likely lose at a crap athletics stadium than 2000 fans who believe they have a divine right to be in the Premier League and somehow still manage to be snooty about the ground despite the fact their team plays in some identikit bowl in some dull provincial city

:moo:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Selfishly, as a resident of Preston Park, I found the 'Matchday Experience' at withdean infinitely better than anything the amex could ever offer, apart from maybe a roof. Leave the Brewery Tap at 14.40, maybe cadge a 5/5A lift to the bottom of the lane if one was imminent, miss all the pre-match Gullys Girls BS, get in your seat in h Block 30 seconds before/after kick-off, back in the Tap by half-five. Sports Argus at 6. It was brilliant, and not a single lanyard all day.

In particular, miss this band of brothers who are now scattered all over the place...

H Block_n.jpg

:bowdown:

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here