Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The War On Drugs

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Did they also play at The Haunt? I seem to remember seeing them there.

They sure did - I saw them there. Fantastic gig.

I'm a bit non-plussed by their new one. Too much aimless noodling not enough songs, a bit like the last Kurt Vile one which left me a bit cold.

When they do write a 4-5 minute "pop" song they are bloomin brilliant at it - on all 3 records.

Binney on acid

NSC Patron
Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham
I was impressed by what I saw tonight, although I thought the volume was a little excessive (I was standing at the front). To be brutally honest, the songs are only very good and they are structured around a very good guitarist. In my honest opinion, he lacks / they lack greatness.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
The first hour in particular was epic, superb stuff. It tailed off a little towards the end.

I thought they dropped their yoghurt early when they opened with Ocean between the Waves but Eyes to the Wind was for me the stand out track of the evening, just superb musicianship.

As mentioned by Binney - the guitarist is superb. Certainly one of my best gigs this year.

Eggmundo

U & I R listening to KAOS
Jul 8, 2003
They sounded great to me (bang in the middle)! The man sure can pluck them strings.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
The first hour in particular was epic, superb stuff. It tailed off a little towards the end.

I thought they dropped their yoghurt early when they opened with Ocean between the Waves but Eyes to the Wind was for me the stand out track of the evening, just superb musicianship.

As mentioned by Binney - the guitarist is superb. Certainly one of my best gigs this year.

Agree with your assessment here. My mate predicted they'd open with Ocean between the waves, but I still don't understand why they did. Think they could have closed with that. But overall the musicianshipwas amazing. My first time at Concorde 2 as well and although hot and sweaty it's a great little venue. Last train back to Croydon and well happy. The whole band seemed to be on form. Thought they didn't make the most of Burning but really showed just how amazing Red Eyes is. Always thought they could have done a much longer version of that on the album. But the way they worked together, the guitar work and the drummer who was excellent. They look a band very much on the rise.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009

Agree with your assessment here. My mate predicted they'd open with Ocean between the waves, but I still don't understand why they did. Think they could have closed with that. But overall the musicianshipwas amazing. My first time at Concorde 2 as well and although hot and sweaty it's a great little venue. Last train back to Croydon and well happy. The whole band seemed to be on form. Thought they didn't make the most of Burning but really showed just how amazing Red Eyes is. Always thought they could have done a much longer version of that on the album. But the way they worked together, the guitar work and the drummer who was excellent. They look a band very much on the rise.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove

I love the Concorde I have such great memories of the place over the years.

Stood outside after the support act with a pint of Sam Adams gazing across to the channel and the sun setting to the west near the pier. There can't be many venues which offer that. Good size and I love dark and sweaty venues for music, the complete opposite of a corporate venue such as the O2.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here