Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The War on Britain's Roads - BBC1

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
You are probably quite right, but from what I see the damaged and hurt will be more like 99/1 to the cyclists. So cyclists should be suoper aware when riding, 'cos they aim't likely gonna hurt a car driver

Just as it is every day then. I don't see this programme making my life on the bike in London more dangerous, but I don't think it made it safer either.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Just as it is every day then. I don't see this programme making my life on the bike in London more dangerous, but I don't think it made it safer either.
Hence my point, first thing this morning.

attila

1997 Club
Jul 17, 2003
South Central Southwick
As someone who drives a lot AND cycles a lot (many people fall into this category these days I guess) I watched last night's programme with interest. It confirmed my previous thoughts: a) that there are loads of idiots on both sides and b) that I would never, ever cycle in London :) Cyclists who don't wear helmets, cycle without lights at night and go through red traffic lights (which from my experience is about 1 in 3 in Brighton) are cretins. Drivers who regard us as an optional extra to be cut up/shouted at are also cretins. Answer: loads more off road cycle lanes and FINES for dickhead cyclists as there already are for dickhead car drivers....
oh, and Lycra is HORRIBLE

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Good programme.

Driving in London is unique though. Different to down here. Everyone for themselves and to get anywhere you have to bully and not show manners. Unfortunately cyclists have to adopt this attitude as well but the end result is often going to mean them losing out.
Cyclists jumping red in London not right but due to the disrespect cars / lorrys / taxis give the cyclist it is sometimes safer to take on a red light than have a standing start when cars are bombing past giving you an inch while you are trying to gain momentum. . . . . . Not to mention jumping a red gets you clear of left turners who statistically kill more cyclists than any other manouvre

rouseytastic

Sep 22, 2011
Haywards Heath
The bloke riding around London banging in people's vans and throwing bits of paper through the window needs his head read. Nut job, just the type of person who winds me up.

And don't get me started on the smirking glasses bloke!

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
The chubby cyclist with the glasses, the web developer, will come a cropper one day. Shout at motorists and then cowardley squeals "I'm telling the police on you".

One day he'll rub some up the wrong way.

Really mad himself look a right prat on national television

Northstandite

Jun 6, 2011
I ride and drive a car so can see both sides, I ride my bike with car drivers in mind and always obey the rules of the road. I get really get pissed with stupid cyclist jumping lights riding at night in black with no lights. But also some car drivers drive with their head up their arse on the phone texting and showing no interest about what going around them, cutting corners and driving like pricks. So the fault from what I see is 50/50

This.

Brighton looks tame compared to London's mayhem.

But an awful lot of poor car drivers in Brighton (obsessive use of mobiles, and aggressive speeds by younger drivers in residential streets).

Winker

CUM ON FEEL THE NOIZE
Jul 14, 2008
The Astral Planes, man...
Coming home from work this evening in the dark, pissing down with rain, two cars went past me without their lights on! Are these people for real?

There are just as many idiots on four wheels as two, it's about time sensible drivers/riders were issued with machine-guns to take out the cretins they encounter on the road.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I watched this last night on iPlayer. That speccy twat who looked like Will from The Inbetweeners seriously wanted his face filling in. Completely on the cabbies side in that incident where he banged on the back of his cab - at no point did the cabbie encroach on the blue cycle lane (until he pulled over after Will had given his cab a slap). His argument that "if I was close enough to bang on your cab then you were obviously too close" was complete bobbins - he went out of his way to get close enough. He seemed to be on a mission to set out to deliberately antagonise drivers. As for cycling down the middle of the road so nobody could overtake him, absolutely unreal.

As ever, there are bad drivers and bad cyclists. But that self-inflated prickish dildo Will-lookalike did cyclists no favours whatsoever. I'd be quite happy to find out his route and make a journey up there specially, just to mow him down and do the world a favour. What an insufferable arsecake of a specimen.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I watched this last night on iPlayer. That speccy twat who looked like Will from The Inbetweeners seriously wanted his face filling in. Completely on the cabbies side in that incident where he banged on the back of his cab - at no point did the cabbie encroach on the blue cycle lane (until he pulled over after Will had given his cab a slap). His argument that "if I was close enough to bang on your cab then you were obviously too close" was complete bobbins - he went out of his way to get close enough. He seemed to be on a mission to set out to deliberately antagonise drivers. As for cycling down the middle of the road so nobody could overtake him, absolutely unreal.

As ever, there are bad drivers and bad cyclists. But that self-inflated prickish dildo Will-lookalike did cyclists no favours whatsoever. I'd be quite happy to find out his route and make a journey up there specially, just to mow him down and do the world a favour. What an insufferable arsecake of a specimen.
The point about that issue people aren't seeing, is at the junction the cabbie had a cyclist on his outside, too.

So the cabbie was boxed in by cyclists and had to manoeuver right, left then right again, just to get away from the lights.

A terrible terrible TV programme.

I copied my big post here onto a cycling forum.
A fella there encouraged me to send the sentiment off to the BBC, which I did, as I was still peed off by such a bad programme a couple of days later.

If the reply is anything other than fluff, I'll post it here.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton

You saved the hassle of writing exactly the same.
Where do they get these people from? how was specky chosen for this programme?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
You saved the hassle of writing exactly the same.
Where do they get these people from? how was specky chosen for this programme?
He was chosen because he was an objectionable arsehole.
Therefore great rabid frothing mouth fodder to keep the viewer watching for the whole hour.

If it were one of NSC's geeks sitting there speaking sense about all road users, we wouldn't still be discussing the programme now.

The question is, is that the BBC's remit?

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Sounds awful. As Attila says there are awful drivers and awful cyclists. There are good ones too on both sides but hey no-one praises them. Over the last week I've been cut up twice and nearly squashed by a bus, but also lots of other cars passed me giving me space.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
A little bit off-topic on here, but I had my own ROAD RAGE incident driving in this very morning. Not involving a bike though.

I was proceeding in a Northerly direction towards the Sainsyburys roundabout in Hangleton, officer. Its two lanes, the left of which was completely blocked by a maHOOsive white articulated lorry, which was parked stationary up just before the roundabout, presumably broken down. Naturally, all the traffic ahead was filtering over to the right lane to bypass the lorry, and along with everyone else, I was following suit. No problem.

I was keeping up speed with the resty of the traffic, and moved to the right lane to go past the parked truck. I will admit here that no, I did not indicate, as I was obviously following everyone else round the truck. However, the bloke up my arse behind me, decided that at that very point, he wanted to overtake me and nip in front before the roundabout. As I was already halfway over into the right lane, I stood my ground and carried on - cue a big "BEEEEEEEEEEEP" and various hand gestures as he braked and fell in behind me, otherwise his front-left wing was gone.

We reached the roundabout, I moved back to the left outside lane and slowed down, winding down my window. He came up on the inside lane of the roundabout with his passenger window down, and we rolled along side-by-side around the roundabout hurling insults at each other, with me roaring "WHERE THE f*** DID YOU THINK I WAS GOING YOU MELON, I WASN'T PARKING BEHIND HIM" (sadly I didn't hear what he was shouting, but I assumed it wasn't festive wishes). He then turned right into Sainsbo's and I carried on my way towards the A27.

Of course, as per NSC law I realise there will shortly be a thread entitled "Idiot in front of me changed lanes without indicating".

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
He was chosen because he was an objectionable arsehole.
Therefore great rabid frothing mouth fodder to keep the viewer watching for the whole hour.

If it were one of NSC's geeks sitting there speaking sense about all road users, we wouldn't still be discussing the programme now.

The question is, is that the BBC's remit?

From the opening credit it was plain to seethe objective was to have all motorists up in arms at the antics

Its pretty obvious he was chosen because of him Being a complete idiot, is this not how all cyclist are ?

:jester:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
From the opening credit it was plain to seethe objective was to have all motorists up in arms at the antics

Its pretty obvious he was chosen because of him Being a complete idiot, is this not how all cyclist are ?

:jester:
The sad thing about the programme is the same can be levelled at most of the drivers featured too.

Making the whole exercise a completely pointless waste of time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here