Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] The village / amateur 2024 CRICKET thread...

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
My boy has been called up to the second XI for Saturday for his debut in men’s cricket. He was due to be playing for the thirds but they can’t get enough players and after a drop out in the seconds he’s been asked to play. Delighted for him at juat 13 that he’s been given this chance. He’s very excited, although I have had to temper that excitement with a warning about the weather.

He’s then due to be playing an age group T20 game on Monday evening.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Ampfield 1st XI v Langley Manor 2nd XI
Hampshire Cricket league, Division 4

All 3 of our injured players are out, hopefully only one of them long term. Two more debuts amongst their replacements, but we still feel fairly strong.

Fingers crossed that the weather is kind and allows a full game.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
While not strictly "village", it is amateur - but its been a busy week of cricket for my lad this week.

Tuesday - up in Cranleigh for a schools cup game
Today - college game vs the Martlets
Tomorrow - up in Beckenham with Sussex 2nds
Saturday - playing for Mayfield
Sunday - away in Folkestone with Sussex Academy / U18s.

TF he drives himself around now! 😆

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Our game is looking like it will be cancelled this weekend. It appears there are massive tyre tracks on the outfield as they tried to mow it after a deluge which has caused it to look like a quad bike track. At best it is proper Micky Mouse boundaries. Proper Village stuff.

When I say "our" game I've decided last year was my last unless they are absolutely desperate (which they will be). I still enjoy watching the WhatsApp group kick off and smiled to myself when before the first game of the season started the "I'm running late" messages came flooding in. Nap landed.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Merstham CC 4s v Trinity Mid-Whitgiftian CC for me tomorrow (weather permitting) in a friendly.

We've already beaten them in our Division 6 East Surrey league fixture a couple of weeks ago. Looking forward to it.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
While not strictly "village", it is amateur - but its been a busy week of cricket for my lad this week.

I do remember my parents being delighted when I passed my driving test midway through the cricket season. My mum was more than happy for me to borrow the car for away games :lolol:

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Our game is looking like it will be cancelled this weekend. It appears there are massive tyre tracks on the outfield as they tried to mow it after a deluge which has caused it to look like a quad bike track. At best it is proper Micky Mouse boundaries. Proper Village stuff.

When I say "our" game I've decided last year was my last unless they are absolutely desperate (which they will be). I still enjoy watching the WhatsApp group kick off and smiled to myself when before the first game of the season started the "I'm running late" messages came flooding in. Nap landed.

Talking of village and quad bikes, I once played a match in Belmont Park, Hassocks (not the best neighbourhood) and some kid rode his quad bike on the field during the match. We had to stop for about 10 minutes until he got bored and went off to annoy someone else. Apparently, continuing to play and nailing him with a well hit cover drive just "wasn't cricket".

During another match a kid (probably about 11) walked across the field swinging a hammer around. There was definitely some added jeopardy playing there!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Blimey, that's some schedule.

I remember those days.

I took 102 wickets in the summer of 1990, which sounds really impressive until I add that I played over 40 matches...

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Talking of village and quad bikes, I once played a match in Belmont Park, Hassocks (not the best neighbourhood) and some kid rode his quad bike on the field during the match. We had to stop for about 10 minutes until he got bored and went off to annoy someone else. Apparently, continuing to play and nailing him with a well hit cover drive just "wasn't cricket".

During another match a kid (probably about 11) walked across the field swinging a hammer around. There was definitely some added jeopardy playing there!
We played semi-regularly on the back pitch at Falmer before the Amex was there. Easily accessible from Moulescoomb, as we found to our cost.

On only our second time using it we left the pitch to go for tea by the dressing rooms, which were obscured from the pitch by a large slope, and vice versa. We climbed back up from the sheds to resume the game to find all six stumps had been nicked.

Last edited:

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
I've been drafted in for my dad's village team this Sunday as they're short of players. I played a game for them last year and did OK, scored 12 and stopped the rot for a little while before swinging at one and getting caught behind before we got skittled out for 70 odd.

The thing is, I have no idea how to play cricket. I know the rules and the basics but I have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to batting and definitely got lucky against some poor bowlers last time. Anyone got any advice which could potentially prevent me making a knob of myself?!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I've been drafted in for my dad's village team this Sunday as they're short of players. I played a game for them last year and did OK, scored 12 and stopped the rot for a little while before swinging at one and getting caught behind before we got skittled out for 70 odd.

The thing is, I have no idea how to play cricket. I know the rules and the basics but I have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to batting and definitely got lucky against some poor bowlers last time. Anyone got any advice which could potentially prevent me making a knob of myself?!
Fielding - get your body behind the ball, when you go to stop it (don't just reach down). You'll stop just about everything, even if it is not elegant.

Batting (this will sound stupid, but) - watch the ball. Don't worry about where you are trying to hit it, or what 'shot' you are trying to execute - just concentrate on really focusing on the ball as it comes towards you. Equally true whether you are simply trying to block it, or smoke it out of the ground.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Uckfield 1st XI at home vs Heathfield Park 2nd. Team selection not confirmed yet, but last I looked in Whatsapp there's only 11 yes's so guessing I'll be playing despite my poor showing last week.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Uckfield 1st XI at home vs Heathfield Park 2nd. Team selection not confirmed yet, but last I looked in Whatsapp there's only 11 yes's so guessing I'll be playing despite my poor showing last week.
I am quite overcome with envy. If only I could ever have been in that position I would have been in 7th. heaven. I'd happily batted no. 11, I said, if you can't raise a full team, I'd field anywhere you want, and trundle down a couple of innocuous overs if required - no wides at least. OK, that's not the greatest cricketing CV, but that's what I offered numerous local clubs. Call me if I can fill in that sort of role I said............the 'We don't know you, so no, we don't want you in our team' responses hurt like hell - still does, years later.

Last edited:

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Envy to everyone with a chance of playing! I played (not very well) at school, but since then have only played a couple of times for scratch teams from work (where I've been rather better than most!)
When I moved to Gloucester many years ago, I got numbers form the cricket authorities and phoned all the local teams - "Do you ever have trouble getting eleven players out for your second eleven? Could you find a place for a willing lower order batsman, and somebody who can deliver a couple of overs reasonably straight (if you're playing that kind of 20 over cricket where everybody except the wicket-keeper bowls two overs.)
The standard answer, if not 'No', was, have you played for us before? Have you played for any of the other teams in our league? Do you know any cricketers around here? Does anyone in any of the teams know you?
No? In that case, we don't know you, so no. Please go away.
That's a shame. Why not just turn up at one of the matches, chat to the players, and ask again. Good luck 🙂.

Jul 7, 2003

Hold the bat by the skinny end, not the fat end.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Where do Uckfield play home fixtures these days? Is it still Victoria Pleasure Grounds?

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I am quite overcome with envy. If only I could ever have been in that position I would have been in 7th. heaven. I'd happily batted no. 11, I said, if you can't raise a full team, I'd field anywhere you want, and trundle down a couple of innocuous overs if required - no wides at least. OK, that's not the greatest cricketing CV, but that's what I offered numerous local clubs. Call me if I can fill in that sort of role I said............the 'We don't know you, so no, we don't want you in our team' responses hurt like hell - still does, years later.
Well, you may yet have the chance. We're often one short for our Sunday friendlies. Talent only optional.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Well, you may yet have the chance. We're often one short for our Sunday friendlies. Talent only optional.
I'm not engaging with my team's WhatsApp at the moment because I know that even if I tell them I can't run, bend down, throw or bowl the ball, they'll still be like "oh it'll really help if you can turn out". :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here