Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] The Vaccine and Footballers

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
No. I would be pretty disgusted if this were to happen but would not be surprised if it did.

Also, what makes their jobs more important that millions of other people who are not on the priority lists

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Can you imagine how some of the “superstars” like Grealish would behave if they thought they were safe

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
It would be later than February. I'm over 70 with my vaccination date set for 4th Feb-3rd March. Then comes the vulnerable asthmatics etc

Have you got your dates already?

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
So with the Oxford vaccine now approved which is easier to use and we have a larger supply, should footballers be bumped up the queue to take it?

Let’s assume we are going to be in some sort of heavy lockdown till March, Does football perform a public service in carrying on whilst everything else is shut?

I’m not suggesting they should be above the most at risk/NHS front line staff etc - but somewhere just below.

Could the club doctors administer it?

Eldest and NHS workers first. Footballers should be somewhere near the very back of the queue.

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015
My understanding is that there are currently NO vaccines privately available on the planet. An interesting article in this week's Sunday Times telling of frustrated posh people being unable to get hold of the vaccine despite desperate offers of many thousands of pounds, and having to be guided through the grubby process of applying for an NHS number so they can join the queue with everyone else. Of course, this is how it should be, and I hope this is how it will remain.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
It's not just about the footballers on the pitch themselves though is it - it's the moving around the country of a pretty largish group of club employees, with the potential spread of covid.

This is the only valid argument.

Though if the risk is deemed too great, just stop football.

Nobody should be able to buy their way out of this (I realise i'm a hypocrite for saying this as we, as a comparatively rich nation have bought up available vaccines at the expense of poorer countries)

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Based on age and likelihood of not being at risk footballers are unlikely to get the vaccine anyway. That said you can bet they will pay a princely sum to pfizer for it though.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Can you imagine how some of the “superstars” like Grealish would behave if they thought they were safe

Even more of a ****?

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Nobody should be able to buy their way out of this (I realise i'm a hypocrite for saying this as we, as a comparatively rich nation have bought up available vaccines at the expense of poorer countries)

I understand your sentiment and agree we are a comparatively rich nation but I can't agree the message you communicate by saying "we have bought up available vaccines at the expense of poor countries".

In reference to the Oxford / Astra-Zennica vaccine - who paid for the vaccine design? UK - who paid for all the test and development? UK - who paid for trials? UK - who is paying for manufacture? UK
So, absolutely yes, UK residents should benefit from this nation's brains & health investment.

I've also heard that the Oxford / Astra-Zennica vaccine will be "sold" to poor nations at cost - do you advocate we should give it for free?

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I understand your sentiment and agree we are a comparatively rich nation but I can't agree the message you communicate by saying "we have bought up available vaccines at the expense of poor countries".

In reference to the Oxford / Astra-Zennica vaccine - who paid for the vaccine design? UK - who paid for all the test and development? UK - who paid for trials? UK - who is paying for manufacture? UK
So, absolutely yes, UK residents should benefit from this nation's brains & health investment.

I've also heard that the Oxford / Astra-Zennica vaccine will be "sold" to poor nations at cost - do you advocate we should give it for free?

Dude, we've bought up loads of Pfizer and Moderna and a few others. They're not British, we've paid for them. In a global market, the drug companies asked for big bucks and we paid up.

In effect then the rich have access to vaccines and the poor don't .... it just happens at a national level.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here