Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Upson Effect

Apr 12, 2011
Saw him at Toddington services on the way back from Forest and had quick chat. He was quite open about the fact that if an offer was to come in he'd be happy to stay!

Never rated Bridge or Upson when they played for England but they are a class above in this Division. Just shows the challenge that awaits in the Prem should we get there.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Never rated Bridge or Upson when they played for England but they are a class above in this Division. Just shows the challenge that awaits in the Prem should we get there.

Or the gulf England players have with other national teams!

Eddiespearritt

May 23, 2012
Central Europe
Without getting ahead of ourselves, I wonder how many truly Premiership quality players we have at the club. Not Manchester United level quality, but enough to compete with the Norwich, Stoke, Fulham etc. Obviously we don't have enough and I'm not sure Upson would be the answer longer term. That said, he has been terrific (as has Bridge) since he signed - and I for one needing convincing that Upson's game hadn't gone completely. He has proved the doubters wrong, and there was only one game I've seen where he looked rocky, almost heading an own goal into the North Stand which Kuszczak had to save.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
His contribution has been underestimated by many Albion fans. I think he is the reason why we will go up. Superb defence with all of them improved by Upson's presence. I just hope Wayne Bridge is fully fit. If so ..... It will be a hell of an end to the season.

Reading this I'd say his contribution has been rated by most Albion fans. He's different gravy. The guy oozes quality and ability. Sign him up!

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Have to say that I was not a great fan of Upson but my view has been changed. When he joined I thought that he and El Abd would be the pairing but since then his influence has certainly brought out the best of Greer and think they are the correct pairing. Hope they maintain that form for the next 3 game!

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
Have to say that I was not a great fan of Upson but my view has been changed. When he joined I thought that he and El Abd would be the pairing but since then his influence has certainly brought out the best of Greer and think they are the correct pairing. Hope they maintain that form for the next 3 game!

I was apprehensive about signing a 34 year old who had barely played for a while but he has proved his quality, bringing the best out of best Greer and AEA. I really hope he stays for at least one more season, if we go up this season or next we'll need all the quality we can get.

blue2

Apr 21, 2010
Upson has been the difference for me this season, has also made Greer a better player.

This has been key Upson has I think improved Greer's game by allowing him space and more time the whole defence has been immense

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
So El-Abd, Upson, Greer and Dunk now on board, but wasn't a missing ingredient last season the lack of leadership and vocality from defence, leading to a tendency to drop back too deep?

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Upson
its all about the timing
he's got it
lots of others have not
young Dunk must watch and learn

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
Upson
its all about the timing
he's got it
lots of others have not
young Dunk must watch and learn

I really believe Dunk has the potential to be just as good as Upson and being able to train and play with him will do wonders for his development

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here