Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Unofficial Pimms, Strawberries and New Balls Thread

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
No one answered my "balls" question????

- What is thing with the three balls? Before each serve the player is given three balls, looks at them for 10 seconds and then hits one back to the ball-boy. What the hell is that all about? He/she only needs two, so give them two. Someone said it is so they can select the best two. That's just plain stupid. They're all practically brand new anyway. And how can you "select" the best two from a 10 second cursory glance?

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Not everyone does it. Force of habit for some, I would imagine. A control thing. Making positive decisions for themselves.

Laura Robson safely through to Round Three! Off to play her doubles match and probably playing singles again tomorrow (oh to be young again) :clap2:

El Sid

May 10, 2012
West Sussex
No one answered my "balls" question????

- What is thing with the three balls? Before each serve the player is given three balls, looks at them for 10 seconds and then hits one back to the ball-boy. What the hell is that all about? He/she only needs two, so give them two. Someone said it is so they can select the best two. That's just plain stupid. They're all practically brand new anyway. And how can you "select" the best two from a 10 second cursory glance?

I'm sure Serena has handled a few balls in her time and could spot a good pair with a cursory glance.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
The coverage today is a JOKE.

Started with Gulbis vs Verdasco and then decided to jump to Monaco vs De Schepper, which is annoying but Sue announced we can watch Gulbis on the red button. This was a lie. It was the Monaco borefest, under the Gulbis title.

Now, having reluctantly started watching that, they have changed again! You can't get into a match when they change every few games and don't put it on the red button. Very poor showing. And now ANOTHER homage to the Olympics of last year. Nice to see Victoria Pendleton though.

They'd better show ALL of Laura Robson's match, or I'm going to cry.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Robson loses the first set 7-6 after looking like much the better player throughout the set and failing to take advantage of being a break up and then leading the tiebreak 5-2.

Are we sure she isn't Scottish? ???

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Court 2, Tsvetana Pironkova vs Radwanska.

The Bulgarian Beauty vs A Polish Plodder...
uploadfromtaptalk1372686793375.jpguploadfromtaptalk1372686821007.jpguploadfromtaptalk1372686844514.jpg

:love: :blush: :love:

D

Deleted member 18477

great tournament for Robson! There arent many Sharapova's around who win a tournament at 17!!!

Andy Murray took a few years to get comfortable with the huge support and big occasions that will be coming Robson's way now! Andy Murray also took time to improve his game!

with the right people around her i'm sure Robson can battle with the best! she certainly has the potential to reach multiple semi finals and maybe more...

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009

zeetha

Apr 11, 2011
great tournament for Robson! There arent many Sharapova's around who win a tournament at 17!!!

Andy Murray took a few years to get comfortable with the huge support and big occasions that will be coming Robson's way now! Andy Murray also took time to improve his game!

with the right people around her i'm sure Robson can battle with the best! she certainly has the potential to reach multiple semi finals and maybe more...

I wholeheartedly agree! Think the nerves got to her a bit today, but she has the skill and is a hard-hitter so she is definitely a top-10 player of the future!

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Tsvetana 4-3 up with a break - this could be her year with everyone dropping out! I call her to win it every year, not backed it this time... Classic.

It angers me how many empty seats there are on Court 2. I would love to be there whispering sweet nothings at her. :love:

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
YES! Mr Serena Williams is OUT!

To a lovely, charming, emotional German girl who played brilliantly. Lovely stuff - can't stand that Serena Williams, awful piece of work.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here