The Unofficial Pimms, Strawberries and New Balls Thread

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Can I just say that not knowing an awful lot about tennis, this Mandy Minella currently on the tellybox is rather nice :love:

minella_mandy-minella-08.jpg

pasty

Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Good job Britain...

Murray - SUCCESS
Ward - FAIL
Edmund - FAIL
Baltacha - FAIL
Konta - FAIL
Keothavong - FAIL
Murray (Sam) - FAIL
Watson - FAIL
Laura Robson - TBC
Tara Moore - TBC

ROBSON vs KIRILENKO - 2nd on Court ONE at some point this afternoon

On court now warming up.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Robson is actually good GOOD, isn't she?

Doubt she'll beat the lovely Maria, but impressive so far. Fair play.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Good job Britain...

Murray - SUCCESS
Ward - FAIL
Edmund - FAIL
Baltacha - FAIL
Konta - FAIL
Keothavong - FAIL
Murray (Sam) - FAIL
Watson - FAIL
Laura Robson - TBC
Tara Moore - TBC

The LTA have got away with murder if you ask me. I'm 41, and we have been absolute gash at tennis ever since I've known of the game, especially women's tennis. The FA get pilloried for all sorts of things, but how the LTA gets away with letting down the nation's tennis legacy quite so badly is really beyond me. I'm sure it doesn't matter so long as the posh, famous and wealthy get grandstand seats at the big matches. Between foreigners.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Ooh. Robson serving for the first set.

Wow. First set Robson, 6 games to 3 :clap2:

zeetha

Apr 11, 2011
And shes beaten the No 10 seed in straight sets - fantastic!

pasty

Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Loving this Dustin Brown on at the moment. Giving Hewitt a lesson in tennis, with some flair shots. And shutting up the loud mouthed Aussies in the crowd :thumbsup:

crabface

Mar 24, 2012
Darcis the chap that beat Nadal has pulled out with a shoulder injury. Probably realised he wont do any better than beating Nadal.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Loving this Dustin Brown on at the moment. Giving Hewitt a lesson in tennis, with some flair shots. And shutting up the loud mouthed Aussies in the crowd :thumbsup:

I watched that game, it was cracking, Brown looked very unorthodox, not the best tennis you will ever see, but very entertaining.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
My first day ever at Wimbledon yesterday. Watched Robson and then two foreign blokes until I got bored. Tennis is really not my cup of tea ... or my outrageously expensive glass of champagne.

A few comments:
- The grunting drove me mad. The spectators should keep shouting their objections until they're forced to stop it.
- What is thing with the three balls? Before each serve the player is given three balls, looks at them for 10 seconds and then hits one back to the ball-boy. What the hell is that all about? He/she only needs two, so give them two. Someone said it is so they can select the best two. That's just plain stupid. They're all practically brand new anyway. And how can you "select" the best two from a 10 second cursory glance?
- The prancing around of the ball boys/girls is like a comedy routine. Why can't they act like normal people?

On the positive side - always like to be fair - the place itself is nice (apart from the cost of everything) - so clean it's like Disneyland.

pasty

Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Right, here goes Mr Murray again. Scottish or British in a couple of hours time? :wink:

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
Both of the most likely quarter-final opponents for Murray should he get that far have gone out of the tournament due to injury today, Tsonga and Cilic, as well as John Isner who once played in a 138 game 5th set, today lasted only 5 minutes. The bottom half of the draw has opened up as a result of the withdrawals as well as Nadal and Hewitt having gone out, so there will be 1 or 2 surprise names that make it to the second week of the tournament. Murray is too strong for Lu who has faded a bit after a good start.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports