The United States of America

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Obviously people will point at their attitudes towards guns and their lack of a decent health care system. Another issue I have with them is they are all hell bent on the idea that every foreigner they are ever likely to meet would do anything to live there. So many of them really do believe that land of the free bollox.

That said, overall it's a very positive country. It seems to sit around 5th or 6th best country in the world in various indexes ranking countries by quality of living, and in my experience, that's about right.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
If it was all based on governments and their policies - especially foreign - you wouldn't hold them in that a high esteem really would you. I've only been to New York a couple of times but found the people so very friendly. I know I wouldn't want to be judged as a person on what our government does and says. Definetly a country I could spend some time getting to know if I had the money.

hi__neighbor

Jul 15, 2015
As a resident of the US, I can say that we are definitely a backwards nation. But it's worth noting that our country is so big, many regions are really quite different--which I'm sure you already all know. I live in Boston and it is truly worlds apart on lots of things that the media relays across the globe like gun stuff, religious stuff, etc. So even though the gun-touting southern hick tends to be the archetypal "American" that many are used to, a lot of us are really not so different than yourselves! Is our government all sorts of screwed up? Absolutely. But there are tons of cool Americans who just roll with the punches and make the best of it. It's not so bad here! I was quite fond of England when I visited though. I could get very used to life on the other side of the pond I reckon.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
Hi Neighbour has just said , from inside experience, what I as an outsider believe to be the case...With a nation extending from Alaska to Hawaii it is hard to generalise.

One thing I do not understand is, Why have a President who carries the can for everything, but give effective power to Congress who may be a majority of the other party? ..It is a recipe for stagnation. Can you imagine a Conservative Prime Minister trying to lead with a Labour majority in the House?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
As a resident of the US, I can say that we are definitely a backwards nation. But it's worth noting that our country is so big, many regions are really quite different--which I'm sure you already all know. I live in Boston and it is truly worlds apart on lots of things that the media relays across the globe like gun stuff, religious stuff, etc. So even though the gun-touting southern hick tends to be the archetypal "American" that many are used to, a lot of us are really not so different than yourselves! Is our government all sorts of screwed up? Absolutely. But there are tons of cool Americans who just roll with the punches and make the best of it. It's not so bad here! I was quite fond of England when I visited though. I could get very used to life on the other side of the pond I reckon.

Good post. Being nosey, hat's your connection with Brighton? Why BHA?

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
And how many mulitples of that number died for Russia in those 2 wars?
Quite a lot after the germans ditched the von ribbentrop pact after carving up poland, came a bit unstuck didnt they ?

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
The accent grates a bit. Don't notice it on the telly but live its really a bit too whiny.

I was surrounded by people from Buffalo on Sunday, and I never want to hear 'Lets Go Buffalo' again. :sick:

Dec 15, 2014
Here

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The accent grates a bit. Don't notice it on the telly but live its really a bit too whiny.

I was surrounded by people from Buffalo on Sunday, and I never want to hear 'Lets Go Buffalo' again. :sick:

"There you go Herr Tubthumper, another IPA" doesn't grate in the slightest.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Of course, you could live in Brighton MA I guess?

hi__neighbor

Jul 15, 2015
Good post. Being nosey, hat's your connection with Brighton? Why BHA?

For no good reason really. I remember watching the 2012-13 Championship playoffs and liking the way they played and kind of pulling for them I suppose. I learned more about the club and then watched some games the following season (no easy task over here) and before I knew it I felt pretty familiar with the squad and just continued to keep tabs on how they were doing. It was a pretty casual following at first but then I got caught up in the Poyet drama and everything that followed, learned more about the club, watched some old youtube clips and such. Then just kind of went all in this preseason, getting myself a Seagulls Player subscription and getting Naylor's latest in my inbox every morning.... yadda yadda yadda.... I guess I like to think that Brighton chose me! Way more fun than the rest of these assholes over here supporting Chelsea or Man United or Arsenal or whatever. Always liked the underdogs :)

hi__neighbor

Jul 15, 2015
Of course, you could live in Brighton MA I guess?

I've never lived in Brighton, MA but it *is* a big neighborhood of Boston and I frequent it often. That said, it was never because of *this* Brighton that I got to following the Albion. At least not consciously.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
For no good reason really. I remember watching the 2012-13 Championship playoffs and liking the way they played and kind of pulling for them I suppose. I learned more about the club and then watched some games the following season (no easy task over here) and before I knew it I felt pretty familiar with the squad and just continued to keep tabs on how they were doing. It was a pretty casual following at first but then I got caught up in the Poyet drama and everything that followed, learned more about the club, watched some old youtube clips and such. Then just kind of went all in this preseason, getting myself a Seagulls Player subscription and getting Naylor's latest in my inbox every morning.... yadda yadda yadda.... I guess I like to think that Brighton chose me! Way more fun than the rest of these assholes over here supporting Chelsea or Man United or Arsenal or whatever. Always liked the underdogs :)

Nice one. And welcome.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I've never lived in Brighton, MA but it *is* a big neighborhood of Boston and I frequent it often. That said, it was never because of *this* Brighton that I got to following the Albion. At least not consciously.

The Boston Brighton is a nice place. I stayed there for a week when I ran the marathon a few years back. Loved the vibe there.

hi__neighbor

Jul 15, 2015
The Boston Brighton is a nice place. I stayed there for a week when I ran the marathon a few years back. Loved the vibe there.

Yeah it is very cool. It's mostly a student neighborhood being that it's so central to all the big universities. Great bars and restaurants and stuff. If you're ever in town again for the marathon or otherwise, let me know!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports