Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Union Jack - an Iconic European Style Statement

Having spent 10 days away from NSC and enjoying the delights of Italy, my apologies if this is something that has already been mentioned by the intrepid travellers who post here, but ... it's been impossible not to be struck by the huge numbers of people in Italy (of all ages) who are wearing versions of the UK flag on t-shirts, sweaters and dresses. Not brits abroad, but stylish locals. I guess it's a spin-off from the Olympics.

Has the UK suddenly become fashionable again?

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
In amsterdam last week, i saw in a few high street shoe shops some union flag inspired shoes, i think its very fashionable and i think it always has been, you know with the beatles, rock and roll then brit pop and now indie rock and the olympics.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
I live in south west France and anything union jack is seen as "cool" with the youngsters
go in the local DIY shop mr bricolage and one will find lots of items,in particular furniture for teenagers with the union jack design
And the grown ups that speak english consider it a "status symbol"
on the whole english/brits are seen in a pretty good light in this corner of France

Biancazzurro

Aug 9, 2011
Hassocks
Paris had loads of Union Jack themed items in the shops when I was there last weekend, was a bit odd really, but then again 1000s of people here drive Fiat 500s with the Italian tricolor on the roof so perhaps not.

http://www.asos.com/it/Pepe-T-shirt-girocollo-con-bandiera-britannica/11hqg/?iid=1839813&r=2&mporgp=L1BlcGUvUGVwZS1Vbmlvbi1KYWNrLUNyZXctTmVjay1ULVNoaXJ0L1Byb2Qv

image1xl.jpg

image1xl.jpg

image1xl.jpg

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
Border country.East Preston.
Very interesting! Why The hell aren't we exporting more to them?

D

Deleted member 2719

I live in south west France and anything union jack is seen as "cool" with the youngsters
go in the local DIY shop mr bricolage and one will find lots of items,in particular furniture for teenagers with the union jack design
on the whole english/brits are seen in a pretty good light in this corner of France

That's great i hope you can introduce them to the Stranglers.punk:

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Was in Sicily in July/August and union jacks everywhere on t-shirts etc.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

Despite the so-called enmity between Britain and France, I've always found a high degree of anglophilia over there. The BCBGs tend to look fondly on British fashion and style, while kids tend to love pop music and urban fashion (not surprising when you listen to French charts).

It doesn't surprise me in the least that the Union Jack has become a fashion icon.

Having spent 10 days away from NSC and enjoying the delights of Italy, my apologies if this is something that has already been mentioned by the intrepid travellers who post here, but ... it's been impossible not to be struck by the huge numbers of people in Italy (of all ages) who are wearing versions of the UK flag on t-shirts, sweaters and dresses. Not brits abroad, but stylish locals. I guess it's a spin-off from the Olympics.

Has the UK suddenly become fashionable again?

Funny that, I noticed that in France the Union Jack seemed to be everywhere, notebooks, T-shirts, pencil cases etc all aroung the HyperU's and elsewhere. Suspect that, unlike the Olympic logo, it isn't copywrite.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here