Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The undropable Dale Stephens

The Brighton Buzz

Falmer here we come
Jan 31, 2008
For me, our transition through the midfield has been far quicker since Stephens got dropped. If Potter the Genius wants us to play speedy attacking "pass and move" type football then Stephens wouldn't seem to fit.

We have not conceded stupid free kicks just outside our box either. Stephens gives two or three a game and in dangerous positions. It was noticeable that this did not happen in the last two games. I think it has also proved that when he and Propper play together it stifles our attacking intent.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I like Stephens but his performance against Sheffield United was the worst individual performance I’ve seen from any of our players since we got promoted. Absolutely inept with even the most basic control/passes/movement. On the back of that alone, he deserves a few games on the bench. But he’ll be back, he’s been a top player for us for six years and doesn’t deserve to be written off.

:lol: He was very poor in that game - but that is a bit SILLY.

He was arguably not even our worst player in THAT game - Webster and Montoya were both also terrible!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
:lol: He was very poor in that game - but that is a bit SILLY.

He was arguably not even our worst player in THAT game - Webster and Montoya were both also terrible!

Most Albion players had an absolute stinker in that game, scores 2 to 4 out of 10. Some players were completely anonymous, outclassed.

Pathetic that Stephens is singled out.

A spiteful, myopic, ungrateful agenda.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
I don’t get the hype over Bissouma, we’ve seen this before he has the odd good game here and there but overall I don’t think his consistency or concentration are currently good enough, he has a lot of room to improve I do see a good player in there but based off what we’ve seen I find it remarkable people would have him ahead of Stephens, although I am aware some people don’t understand football so think just because a player doesn’t have much ‘flair’ that he isn’t doing his job well.

I guess Bissouma has a funny song. :rolleyes:

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Some people on here really don't understand how our team works. We generally play some variation on 4-2-2-2 or 3-4-3 where we have a holding midfielder (or two) in front of the defence.

Stephens is a holding midfielder who is generally comfortable on the ball and links the defence to the rest of the midfield and attack. When he is not playing, we always seem to find it harder to break the press being put on the defense from goal kicks etc. He also provides defensive cover as shown in the recent stats that he has more interceptions than anyone else in the team.

Last season especially, the problem was he had nobody to pass to ahead of him so often had to go back - this season, he now has options and his passing is now more forward than not.

Bissouma is a more attacking player but not really suited to the defensive role. Likewise, although listed as a midfielder, Mooy has been playing more in an attacking role so again is not really a Stephens replacement. Propper can play this role and has done so quite well but is better further forward.

At the moment, I still believe Stephens is key to how we play but he isn't getting any younger and we need to find a longer term replacement for that role. Molumby could well be the long term option from what I have seen of him in the u23s - Mac Allister seems to be more of a Gross replacement if he ever gets here.

Sadly, there are always a number of our fans who need someone to moan about and Stephens is one of the current scapegoats along with Montoya.

Some good points here. The section highlighted was particularly true against Bournemouth when, despite beating them comfortably, we often laboured to move the ball forward from the back. Some blamed this on Duffy's limitations but I felt we especially missed Stephens in this regard.

Dale remains an important part of the group. I am pleased he will be available for the Cup as he'll give us the solidity and drive up against Championship players like Hutchinson who is a dirty so and so (glad we'll have a Prem ref in that regard too). Stephens may well not be the regular starter he has hitherto been, but that mostly reflects the quality of options we now have in midfield.

PG

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
In almost all the matches that have put us in a great position to retain our PL status, our highly effective sitting CM was Dale Stephens:

Watford 0 - 3 Brighton
Newcastle 0 - 0 Brighton
Brighton 3 - 0 Spuds
Brighton 3 - 2 Everton
Arsenal 1 - 2 Brighton
Brighton 2 - 0 Norwich

A quality centre midfielder.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Most Albion players had an absolute stinker in that game, scores 2 to 4 out of 10. Some players were completely anonymous, outclassed.

Pathetic that Stephens is singled out.

A spiteful, myopic, ungrateful agenda.

Yes.

Webster was actually the worst by an absolute mile.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
In almost all the matches that have put us in a great position to retain our PL status, our highly effective sitting CM was Dale Stephens:

Watford 0 - 3 Brighton
Newcastle 0 - 0 Brighton
Brighton 3 - 0 Spuds
Brighton 3 - 2 Everton
Arsenal 1 - 2 Brighton
Brighton 2 - 0 Norwich

A quality centre midfielder.

100% this.......

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Webster was only out-performed shite performance wise by our usual moronic crowd getting on the players backs after a few stray passes.

Do you think we're really that bad (the crowd I mean)?

Compared to other grounds I always feel we're quite patient. Even when we had poor results towards the end of last season, there weren't that many catcalls.......

When you think of Arsenal, Southampton is another, we seem quite tame in comparison.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Compared to other grounds I always feel we're quite patient. Even when we had poor results towards the end of last season, there weren't that many catcalls.......

When you think of Arsenal, Southampton is another, we seem quite tame in comparison.

Everton, West Ham. Very readily hateful and angry in big numbers, against any unrated player having an off day.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Depends where you sit. We have a recent arrival, a man apart, with fearsome teeth and a maniacal look in his eye, under his Albion bobble hat, who barracks from minute two. He has a speech quirk that suggests a brain injury of some sort. I can feel for someone with a brain injury, but I won't let this stop me from calling a **** a ****. He's a ****, and I may have to have a word (gently but firm) if he has decided this is where he wants to sit and this is how he wants to behave. :shrug:

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
Depends where you sit. We have a recent arrival, a man apart, with fearsome teeth and a maniacal look in his eye, under his Albion bobble hat, who barracks from minute two. He has a speech quirk that suggests a brain injury of some sort. I can feel for someone with a brain injury, but I won't let this stop me from calling a **** a ****. He's a ****, and I may have to have a word (gently but firm) if he has decided this is where he wants to sit and this is how he wants to behave. :shrug:

Can I just say I'm not this bloke.
I do have fearsome teeth and a maniacal look in my eye tho :moo:

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

LoL........

I have to admit, I did shout "shake yourself" to Webster against Sheff Utd after the umpteenth sloppy piece of play, but usually I save it for match officials....

I knew when I heard myself shouting at Codner on TV, it was time to quieten down (a little)......

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Just my opinion but in terms of getting the basics wrong he was appalling in that game. Standing still as Sheffield players nicked the ball off him, three touches to get control of the ball, misplacing simple passes - he had it all in that game. Sure others had a nightmare too, but Stephens looked like a pub player for 90 minutes.

Bit weird to post that on the back of my post. I admit I thought Stephens was woeful against Sheffield but I’ve also posted countless times on this site how much I rate him and how good I think he has been for us (and still is). Having one bad game doesn’t override that. Being able to criticise your favourites or praise players you don’t rate is surely the sign of an open mind rather than any form of agenda.

Sorry, I didn’t read your post properly.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
That was my point I would have taken either Alzate ot Bissouma or both off at half time but having already replaced Burn with Bernardo that may have been risky. I didnt think Alzate improved much in the 2nd half mind he would be better if he could use his left foot to shoot occasionally as he had 2 good chances that he fluffed by having to put them on his right foot. I think that he is getting the benefit of people seeing more about him because they want a youngster to come good, so their view is tainted and they boost up his performances.

There certainly are several people on this site who are unwilling to give youth a chance and want their players to be ready made stars. Webster, Bissouma and Alzate are three young players with bags of potential and its disappointing to see some people so down on them this early in their premier league careers. They are going to be inconsistent, sure, but they are also gaining the experience that could turn them into reliable top quality performers for years to come

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

I don’t get the hype over Bissouma, we’ve seen this before he has the odd good game here and there but overall I don’t think his consistency or concentration are currently good enough, he has a lot of room to improve I do see a good player in there but based off what we’ve seen I find it remarkable people would have him ahead of Stephens, although I am aware some people don’t understand football so think just because a player doesn’t have much ‘flair’ that he isn’t doing his job well.

I guess Bissouma has a funny song. :rolleyes:

Ask Mr Klopp about Henderson.. Liverpool fans I know have moaned about him in recent years - "nor creative enough" , "slows everything down" , etc etc.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here