Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The unbeaten run may not be that important in the end

Yoda

English & European
Brighton were unbeaten in 17 games in the 1987/1988 season in all competitions, when sneaking into the playoffs with the last kick of the game that season, still a club record.

Barry Lloyd had a couple of good seasons and a few bad seasons as Brighton manager over all if I remember correctly.

Apart from, as others have mentioned, it being the wrong finishing place. That run was ALL competitions, not just league.

Seagulls1984

Aug 8, 2011
Steyning
Waste of time if your going to draw a lot of games , proven now that we're only 2 points clear , draws are a killer in this league.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I also think the unbeaten run can be an advantage, as it encourages some teams to be more negative - they turn up just a little bit scared (obviously not BIG team like Wednesday). Sad as it'll be when (if) it ends, it's the next 30-odd results that matter, not the one that ends the run.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
It's not a formula, it's a load of nonsense.

It is virtually guaranteed for promotion as it yields 92 points which is usually sufficient. It has proved to be correct more often than not. How often have teams got 92 points and not been promoted?

The average points total for Championship winners for the past 10 years is 92.7 so 92 would take you up at least as runners up., according to gazettelive.co.uk.

Last edited:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
It is virtually guaranteed for promotion as it yields 92 points which is usually sufficient.
I know the maths, which would equally apply to saying 'lose your first 15 games and win the rest to win the league formula'. Just because the points add up, doesn't mean it makes sense. What you're trying to say is that we're still averaging 2 points a game, which is the formula to win the league. Don't muddle that simple point up with something irrelevant.

lizard

Well-hung member
Jul 14, 2005
In all honesty I don't think the unbeaten run is that big of a thing, it's a nice gimmick for us the fans but what will really matter is how the squad pick themselves up after defeat.
Hughton and the squad take it one game at a time and I don't think a defeat would largely change their playing ethos in the next match. We're doing a lot of thing right at the moment in tight matches, one defeat doesn't spell the end to this, we are contenders this season and that will remain regardless of whether we remain unbeaten or not.

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
In all honesty I don't think the unbeaten run is that big of a thing, it's a nice gimmick for us the fans but what will really matter is how the squad pick themselves up after defeat.
Hughton and the squad take it one game at a time and I don't think a defeat would largely change their playing ethos in the next match. We're doing a lot of thing right at the moment in tight matches, one defeat doesn't spell the end to this, we are contenders this season and that will remain regardless of whether we remain unbeaten or not.

Amen

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
The best thing about this season is the fact none of us expected us to be in the position we find ourselves in. CH is top manager in this division and I have confidence we will strengthen in January to give us every chance of glory come the end of the season.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Has any fan been to every match of the run? And going tonight?

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
If you went ot a 13th consecutive defeat in the early seventies, I want to see a record that will never be broken. Keep the thread open until Middlesbrough (A).

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
and post 29, for simple clarification.
Er, no :facepalm:
Average 2 points a game means to win at home and draw away or vice versa. Nothing difficult to understand:ffsparr:
As I pointed out, losing 15 then winning 31 would also give enough points, but that doesn't mean it's the way to get promoted. Teams that get promoted do not win all their home games and do not go unbeaten all season. Therefore we also need to win some away games to finish in the top two.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Er, no :facepalm:
As I pointed out, losing 15 then winning 31 would also give enough points, but that doesn't mean it's the way to get promoted. Teams that get promoted do not win all their home games and do not go unbeaten all season. Therefore we also need to some away games to finish in the top two.

That is an average so is based on losing some and winning some also dropping points at home which is what average means, and we are ahead of that at the moment.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
That is an average so is based on losing some and winning some also dropping points at home which is what average means
Exactly, and that's why it's best just to say we need to average 2 points a game. As you say, it's dropping some points at home, and winning some away, it's not 'win at home and draw away'.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here