Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The ultimate REFERENDUM thread

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
You're falling into the trap of thinking this is a left v right issue. It really isn't.

Sure, but there will be loyalty shown by a certain pecentage of people. Many loyal tories will do what Cameron says, just because he said it, many loyal labour voters will do what Corbyn says, just because he said it, and ditto for Nicola Sturgeon and so on. Others like Boris, Gove, Farage will be listened to as well.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
So many questions.

Whats the criteria to vote? Do UK citizens living in Spain get a vote? Do long-term Polish residents in Britain get a vote? Can you get a postal vote if you're out of the country?

How will the Northern Irish vote? Do they value free movement over the border or want to keep their neighbours at arms length?

What about immigrant Asian and Carribbean communities, would they prefer to be out to reduce competition for low-skilled jobs, or simply refuse to vote alongside UKIP-ers and other anti-immigrant types?

Will the Scottish be so determined to vote IN that its going to be damn hard for English outers to overturn that?

Notwithstanding your lazy sterotyping, these low skilled immigrant Asian and Communities you speak of that are concerned about competition for their low skilled jobs................surely they just need to be told that these newcomers benefit the overall economy with their selfless contribution to the British stste and therefore they can vote in because the overall wealth generated to the country will mean they can move out of their garden sheds in Southall or what other hovel like existence they have in our cities and move to the sunlit uplands of surbubia.

That is what their low skilled white British counterparts have been told for the last couple of decades..............and that is why they have stopped voting for Labour and have become "anti-immigrant types" as you so quaintly call them.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
June 23rd...Five months of campaigning.....Lets have it on March the first.
I agree. After just one day I've pretty much lost the will to live over this referendum.

Wish I could just put my vote in the post tomorrow and forget about it until they announce a result at some point.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
So many questions.

Whats the criteria to vote? Do UK citizens living in Spain get a vote? Do long-term Polish residents in Britain get a vote? Can you get a postal vote if you're out of the country?

How will the Northern Irish vote? Do they value free movement over the border or want to keep their neighbours at arms length?

What about immigrant Asian and Carribbean communities, would they prefer to be out to reduce competition for low-skilled jobs, or simply refuse to vote alongside UKIP-ers and other anti-immigrant types?

Will the Scottish be so determined to vote IN that its going to be damn hard for English outers to overturn that?

Notwithstanding your lazy sterotyping, these low skilled immigrant Asian and Communities you speak of that are concerned about competition for their low skilled jobs................surely they just need to be told that these newcomers benefit the overall economy with their selfless contribution to the British stste and therefore they can vote in because the overall wealth generated to the country will mean they can move out of their garden sheds in Southall or what other hovel like existence they have in our cities and move to the sunlit uplands of surbubia.

That is what their low skilled white British counterparts have been told for the last couple of decades..............and that is why they have stopped voting for Labour and have become "anti-immigrant types" as you so quaintly call them.

sorry, I was asking a serious question, genuinely interested in the answer. Anyone else have any thoughts?

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
I agree. After just one day I've pretty much lost the will to live over this referendum.

Wish I could just put my vote in the post tomorrow and forget about it until they announce a result at some point.

Your evident open mind and commitment to the debate of a matter that the British electorate has not been able to exercise any meaningful mandate on for that last 40 years is admirable.

I would take an educated punt and assume that if you could your vote tomorrow would be "in".

If there is anything the pro EU brigade hate most its open democratic debate...............an irony because that's finally why we are having a referendum.

Bon chance mon ami.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Your evident open mind and commitment to the debate of a matter that the British electorate has not been able to exercise any meaningful mandate on for that last 40 years is admirable.

I would take an educated punt and assume that if you could your vote tomorrow would be "in".

If there is anything the pro EU brigade hate most its open democratic debate...............an irony because that's finally why we are having a referendum.

Bon chance mon ami.

Oh I don't mind people having a debate, but for me my mind is made up, it won't change and I'd vote tonight.

So I'd now be happy to find a way to avoid all this.

A 4 month holiday overseas is sadly not economically possible for me right now :(

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
sorry, I was asking a serious question, genuinely interested in the answer. Anyone else have any thoughts?

I gave a serious answer...........why will UK born brown skinned low skilled workers competing for low skilled jobs and public services with other low skilled immigrants from outside the UK feel any different to their white skinned counterparts?

The political establishment has long sold them all out, its just that the white skinned low skilled are more numerous and have been sold out for longer.

The only way the political establishment can make their lot better is to cut off the never ending supply of low skilled workers they are having to compete with................ergo, introduce some control to the UK's labour market like every other country does outside the UK.

Why do you think they would feel any different?

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
Oh I don't mind people having a debate, but for me my mind is made up, it won't change and I'd vote tonight.

So I'd now be happy to find a way to avoid all this.

A 4 month holiday overseas is sadly not economically possible for me right now :(

With respect mate, this is a debate we have not had in this country for over 40 years, you would have to be over 50 years old to have had the chance to exercise any meaningful democratic mandate.

We have been promised a vote numerous times, and I suspect we are only getting one now because enough of the older generation that would feel confident that GB can stand on its ow 2 feet are dead, and there are enough younger and/or newcomers that are conviced that an EU supranational Govt is a force for good.

I have been waiting nearly 30 years to have a meaningful say.........4 months to have it all out in the open seem fair to me.

If I were you I would just avoid threads like this................

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Do UK citizens living in Spain get a vote?

If they're registered I don't see why they will be treated any differently in this vote than any other ie if they've not been outside the UK for more than 15 years then yes.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
I gave a serious answer...........why will UK born brown skinned low skilled workers competing for low skilled jobs and public services with other low skilled immigrants from outside the UK feel any different to their white skinned counterparts?

The political establishment has long sold them all out, its just that the white skinned low skilled are more numerous and have been sold out for longer.

The only way the political establishment can make their lot better is to cut off the never ending supply of low skilled workers they are having to compete with................ergo, introduce some control to the UK's labour market like every other country does outside the UK.

Why do you think they would feel any different?

Well, to me it read that you gave a very sarcastic answer first-time round in an attempt to score a political point.

My feeling is that yes, if their own personal employment situation is their primary motivating factor, the working-class Asian and Caribbean immigrant communities should definitely vote OUT. However that means that they will be aligning themselves with UKIP and UKIP's supporters, as well as with the likes of the BNP, which will surely sit uneasy with many of these people, and I wonder how much that will influence their vote.

Its a genuine question, no bias intended. Is there any polling on this?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Hardly surprising that those who are more likely to be doing well, are more likely to vote for the status quo.

Graduates, doing well? Their group has one of the highest levels of unemployment in the UK.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Well, to me it read that you gave a very sarcastic answer first-time round in an attempt to score a political point.

Cunning Fergus, never :lolol:

PS Mr Fergus....where on earth did you get those ludicrous Irish US UK trade figures?

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting

Perhaps scroll down the article and view the signatories.

80 Commonwealth community leaders criticise lack of ambition in EU reforms
February 17, 2016

80 community and business leaders from Commonwealth backgrounds have written an open letter to the Prime Minister to call for the UK to take ‘back its autonomy in the fields of migration and commerce’. They argue that the UK ‘should secure a free-trade-only deal with the EU, and re-establish our global role’ if the UK’s EU renegotiation does not bring back powers over immigration and trade policy.

Signatories include Pasha Khandaker, President of the UK Bangladesh Caterers Association UK, Moni Varma, owner of Veetee, MOBO award winner Rachel Kerr, Gurmail Singh Mahli, President of Shri Guru Sing Sabha Southall and Tariq Usmani, CEO of Henley Homes plc.
http://www.voteleavetakecontrol.org...ders_criticise_lack_of_ambition_in_eu_reforms

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
3 reasons to vote in

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Loons and crackpots.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Graduates, doing well? Their group has one of the highest levels of unemployment in the UK.
I wonder which group the economist interviewed? I believe the high unemployment figures for graduates would be pared down significantly if one took out virtually useless degrees such as media studies etc. I'd there is high unemployment for graduates it's due to too many worthless degrees.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here