Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Ulloa £8m

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
If the club are that worried about ffp then why waste £500k on Ogrady? I tell you why a cheap Ulloa replacement, some clown looked at his goal tally for last season and thought they had hit the jackpot.

In the unlikely event that he is Leo's replacement you can make some easy money on betting on us going down. I refuse to believe that any of the hierarchy of this club are that stupid though, we will be signing at least one decent forward.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
In the unlikely event that he is Leo's replacement you can make some easy money on betting on us going down. I refuse to believe that any of the hierarchy of this club are that stupid though, we will be signing at least one decent forward.

exactly. people seem to think that those running the club just turned up. we might not like how they do their job, but they do know what the job is. *if* a decent replacmnt doesnt come, its because they wont more money than the club wish to pay, a risk they have to balance.

J2 DOG

Feb 28, 2009
Hove
Bought for £2m, sold for £8m. That's a profit of £6m in a year and a half. Surely as paying customers and high paying customers at that, it's not to much to ask that £3m of that is spent on a new striker. I'm sure Palace would bite our hands off, for that offer for Murray. That's forgetting the Bridcutt/Barnes/El Abd/ Buckley money, that's over another £7m.... Least we forget all the wages that have been freed up as well, with the players that have departed.

I do hope we spend a substantial fee on a quality striker! We have been thin in this department now for 3 seasons which is becoming a boring joke! Why have no young decent strikers coming through? We have produced or found youngsters in all other positions? It does seem at the moment that there is a reluctance to sign proven forwards or potential future ones ! I just hope come the end of August we dont get the usual piss drivel of lame excuses about availability,wages and the FFP smokescreen. It also seems we are the only Championship club abiding by FFP? What concerns me aswell, is the effect its having on our current good players.The lack of ambition,enterprise and foresight in signing players and players not wanting to come here! Fans also are starting to feel like they are being mugged off!

I would like to see us re-invest half of it on to the squad and use half to off set FFP.
Remember signings are split over the years of the contract.
We sign a 5 million striker for 5 years will result in 1 million per year in FFP rules.
Incoming money off sets straight away. With the reduced wage bill as well i think we can spend a bit and still easily comply with FFP.

If, using the same hypothetical "£5m striker" example, a club was to sell the player at the end of the first season for (say) £7m then there would still be £4m of amortisation (depreciation) from his original purchase to "balance out" in the annual club accounts (and FFP return). This net effect of this would be to leave only £3m from his sale in that year's accounts (and FFP return) as income.

Bought for £2m, sold for £8m. That's a profit of £6m in a year and a half. Surely as paying customers and high paying customers at that, it's not to much to ask that £3m of that is spent on a new striker. I'm sure Palace would bite our hands off, for that offer for Murray. That's forgetting the Bridcutt/Barnes/El Abd/ Buckley money, that's over another £7m.... Least we forget all the wages that have been freed up as well, with the players that have departed.

And also not forgetting that:
a) In the most recent set of published accounts (for season 2012/13) the football club had an accumulated debt of approximately £52m and that this figure doesn't include any costs associated with building the stadium or training ground.
b) Any monies received from the sale of Barnes, Bridcutt and El Abd will appear as income in the 2013/14 accounts when they are published in early 2015. However, unless we've turned in a profit for last season there's none of this money available to spend, it will reduce the annual loss and consequent increase in the accumulated debt.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
If we had any striker lined up a bid would of gone in . Ulloa move was on the cards before the Spain trip .
I think we would spend it but I just think we have no one to spend it on . Much like before we got ulloa where it took over a year

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
I think the point is fair. Although I expect us to buy a striker for £2-6M between now and the end of the window, I really do. & I hope it's upward of £3M really.

I think this thread is premature, let's all wait until the window shuts and give the Club a chance to do this their way. We can judge the squad when it's complete, not before.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
I think we would spend it but I just think we have no one to spend it on . Much like before we got ulloa where it took over a year

I think you are correct about that.

People seem to just want to see a large fee of £Ms. Thankfully we have a more responsibly run club than that. We will spend the money when we find the good stuff worth buying.

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde
Given that Bloom stated we do not need to sell Ulloa, i can't see a reason why we cant spend all of it. Bank the Bridcutt money, spend the 10 million from Ulloa and Buckley.

Sam-

Feb 20, 2012
The key thing to remember is that is isn't £6m profit. It's £6m contribution.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
To be fair, about half were penalties. I think he scored about 8 or 9 from open play. Hardly a great return for a team's main striker over the season.

Of Murray's 30 odd goals the season Palace went up, I think 14 were penalties. I haven't noticed too much criticism of his 16 or so from open play.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Can't be long before it's going to be the £10m Ulloa! Keep going Leo, and get us that extra £2m!

Does anyone know what the extra 2m is based on, and whether there's clauses? For example, it could be based upon goals and them staying up...but what if he scores enough (say, 15) but they get relegated - do we still get some extra or do all the clauses have to be fulfilled?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Does anyone know what the extra 2m is based on, and whether there's clauses? For example, it could be based upon goals and them staying up...but what if he scores enough (say, 15) but they get relegated - do we still get some extra or do all the clauses have to be fulfilled?

£500k if he makes 20 appearances
£1 million if they stay up this season
£500k if they stay up in 2015/16 or are relegated this season and promoted in 2015/16.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
£500k if they stay up in 2015/16 or are relegated this season and promoted in 2015/16.

Splendid, cheers!

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Any sell on? If I was Arsenal and was looking at him against sonogo (?sp), Ulloa is a clear winner. Better touch, greater threat, more presence.

downham seagull

Dec 6, 2012
Norfolk

Nothing on goals scored? I suppose he will only accumulate appearances if he is scoring at a good rate which sounds like a brilliant bit to deal making on our part

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here