Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Ukraine/Russia Situation

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Yes, but im not sure that now is the right time to continue
It will at the very least give the suffering Ukrainian population some reassurance that they are not alone, that they have some friends, it will also be a message to your mate in Red Square.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
My concern isnt for my 'mate' in Red Square (running a Ukrainian nightclub at weekends, tends to put me more with the Ukrainians, than Russians), but more for British boys and girls, being involved in yet another war, that has **** all to do with us. Would you be happy for your children to be fighting there in the future? Political, not military exercises are required at the moment.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
My concern isnt for my 'mate' in Red Square (running a Ukrainian nightclub at weekends, tends to put me more with the Ukrainians, than Russians), but more for British boys and girls, being involved in yet another war, that has **** all to do with us. Would you be happy for your children to be fighting there in the future? Political, not military exercises are required at the moment.
As you know, they have and they will again if asked to by HM Gov.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Well, god bless them... Id make sure my kids didnt.

Funnily enough, one of the things thats noticeable at our place since all this really turned nasty, is less trouble.
before all these latest troubles began, we used to have major brawls going on in the place, and it was described to me as 'City Ukrainians' against 'Country' Ukrainians. Have spoken to gf, and she says yes, when referring to the 'Country Ukrainians' they were meaning East Ukrainians. Obviously a long standing issue.
Also reported in media here is the presence of Slovaks fighting for the pro-Russians and the worry that Czechs could well be also.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Also reported in media here is the presence of Slovaks fighting for the pro-Russians and the worry that Czechs could well be also.

Well, that is dull in the extreme, did they learn nothing from the decades of Soviet repression and austerity......?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Political, not military exercises are required at the moment.
Military exercises would be political. They wouldn't be at war, they would be sending a message. Regardless of whether we agree/disagree with the message, that is politics.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Well, that is dull in the extreme, did they learn nothing from the decades of Soviet repression and austerity......?

Think the pro Russian forces consider themselves 'freedom fighters' against, what they consider, a fascist regime rather than Soviets.
Saw some piece recently about who is joining the fight. Mercenaries on both sides.
All sorts with the pro Russians. Slovaks, Bulgarians, Serbs, Germans, even French!

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Sounds like a repeat of the Spanish civil war......but who is Franco?

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Military exercises would be political. They wouldn't be at war, they would be sending a message. Regardless of whether we agree/disagree with the message, that is politics.

Ill make sure my kids are not the message, but youre right in a sense. I would rather they sit down and talk. Maybe the sanctions will achieve that.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Impossible to make a judgement on this without really knowing what's going on. Long ago I gave up believing a lot of what came out of a politicians mouth, no matter what side they represented.

I'm a Dove ... I really hope someone is trying to sit down with Putin understand what he sees as the end game (and why) and looking for a way to try and defuse this.

I really don't see how providing more weaponry to the Ukrainians is going to help at all. The problem with the military approach (as I see it) is that it becomes an all or nothing solution and I can't for the life of me see that being an outcome to this

I can see what you mean, but this is history repeating itself.
What would have happened if Hitler were left alone.
Ukraine are a part of NATO I believe, so should expect full support, including military.
Putin seems convinced that the west will do nothing and so far he is proved right, IMHO.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Ukraine are a part of NATO I believe, so should expect full support, including military.
Putin seems convinced that the west will do nothing and so far he is proved right, IMHO.

For me the stakes have raised hugely since 1939. If the super powers get involved in an armed conflict with each other I doubt it will be moving huge numbers of troops across Europe, it would escalate rapidly I think

Ukraine aren't a part of NATO ... I'm not sure quickly putting them in is sensible either

Should we stand up to Putin? I'm not sure it's that black and white. I think we need to understand what he's really after and I've not seen anything conclusive about that, just a load of assumption most of which could be credible in isolation

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia

Ukraine are not members of Nato . If they were , we would be at war with Russia now

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here