Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The UK is now back in recession it is official

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Where do I say that? Austerity here has only just begun. In the US they are still digging the hole, deeper and deeper... when austerity hits the US it will be like the 1930's.

What he is doing now is EXACTLY what they did in the 1930's and it worked.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
US absolutely ADORES these doom-laden threads. I have the horrible mental image of him playing with himself whilst creating the opening post.

Not really mate, the last 5 years have more or less wiped me out so I don't think I am enjoying it much but carry on with your mental image if it brings you pleasure. I was looking for a sensible discussion and exchange of views and it lasted 19 posts before the inevitable insults started flying around so that's pretty good really. Well done you.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Is it 'manageable' to be borrowing money to pay the interest on money you already owe?
I've no idea. But clearly someone thinks so. Why would you lend $1.2 trillion dollars if you didn't think there was a GOOD chance of getting it back?

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I've no idea. But clearly someone thinks so. Why would you lend $1.2 trillion dollars if you didn't think there was a GOOD chance of getting it back?

I'm with you on this one Simster. A country without growth is screwed. It is growth that will get us out of the poo ultimately.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
On the plus side it has made me reminisce about these

double-dip.png

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Until England stops becoming a country based on the service industry and more help is given to the manufacturing sector we are screwed. You need to have strong exports but successive government have never got a grasp to the crisis that is our dying manufacturing base. Green technology, development and manufacturing, however small it is, has to be an area we must invest more into. Using our strong design heritage and manufacturing for a product that has global reach which will only increase with time. Unfortunately we need Politicians with vision more then ever and we just don't have them.

Digweeds Trousers

May 17, 2004
Tunbridge Wells
Strangely though certain areas of business are booming despite the current difficulties. I guess it depends on what market you work in. What is interesting is the end of the 'broker market' that in many peoples eyes is being equated with the recession.

Having worked in Private Equity backed software houses from start-ups to listed businesses over the last 10 years it is so noticeable that eh rise of SaaS software and other platforms aimed at cutting out the middle-man or broker would have happened despite the recession - and arguably at a greater rate if the recession had not hit.

The explosion in social-based business applications over the last decade shows in my opinion that the internet has changed everything. From price, to value to implementation, everyone is now a consumer - and those consuer-driven expectations are now driving change in the way we do business.

I know it's not pleasant when the business an individual works in suffers from disruptive innovation -I was a money broker 10 years ago and could see what was happening - the world was beocming one of standardisation and unification - meaning the days of the expert broker was coming to an end.

Holidays - 2000 - travel agent in the high street.

2012 - expedia, last minute.com

Mortgages - 2000 - broker

2012 - choose any one of dozens of platforms

Personal banking, buying a car - all these different ways of sourcing a product are now exposed and laid bare on the internet.

It may not be to everyones liking but the social darwninism effect being seen in so many markets was coming regardless of the recession - value, cost and how easy you are to buy from is how you are judged today.

Even accountants are now investing heavily in software and technology to outsource basic auditing and filing / tagging. I guess one can either fight the irresistable winds of change or find a new way to work your market or find a new one.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Surely this should read "the department for snatching figures from the air thinks that the UK might be back in recession once the figures are available but once they have been fiddled around with it may mean that we aren't, and in any case 99% (myself included) cannot grasp how they work things like this out but will still go tut and look worried because the Mail and/or Express says that the should".

Certainly a more accurate statement than the original post.

Not sure when somebody's forecast became "actual/official" as by definition it is a pre-cursor to an event which may or may not actually occur. I am sure there will be other "forecasts" thast will be less suited to those who delight in doom and gloom and we will doubtless be made aware of various versions of the reality in due course. Still, at least it is something for those who want an excuse to reduce our credit rating to hang their hat on

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
I'm with you on this one Simster. A country without growth is screwed. It is growth that will get us out of the poo ultimately.

If you,the government,the finance people had of said-that's it it's over-UK OFFICIALLY OUT OF RECESSION , then i think an awful lot of sheep may have believed,they would have spread the word,others would think yes i will invest,spend and talk and act in a positive manner-

That would kick start the recovery,people would be up beat-tell a few white lies and the people will believe......ps going back to sleep now from my dream state..

Grendel

Jul 28, 2005
Seaford
These guys know what they are taking about. They have not just stuck a finger in the air and they have no agenda to peddle.

The OECD have consistently been wrong with their predictions on the UK economy. They predicted Q3 growth for 2011 would be 0.1%, it was 0.5%. They predicted a contraction of 0.03% in Q4 last year, it was 0.3%. They predicted growth for the whole of last year of 1.7% (later revised down to 1.3%), it was 0.7%. To say they know what they're talking about is stretching credibility more than a little.

This blind focus on growth is baloney.

Let's say that every UK company slashed their prices by 50% then we would have massive growth.

But virtually none of the companies would make a profit and without profit a company collapses.

What help is growth then?

Companies all over the world make the same mistake, they chase after growth when what they should be doing is to chase after profits.

There are only three things you can do to increase profits - sell more stuff, cut your costs or get better prices.

And the most effective of these three is to get better prices, certainly NOT to sell more.

Up to a couple of years ago I ran seminars on this very subject for big companies all over the world.

Digweeds Trousers

May 17, 2004
Tunbridge Wells
This blind focus on growth is baloney.

Let's say that every UK company slashed their prices by 50% then we would have massive growth.

But virtually none of the companies would make a profit and without profit a company collapses.

What help is growth then?

Companies all over the world make the same mistake, they chase after growth when what they should be doing is to chase after profits.

There are only three things you can do to increase profits - sell more stuff, cut your costs or get better prices.

And the most effective of these three is to get better prices, certainly NOT to sell more.

Up to a couple of years ago I ran seminars on this very subject for big companies all over the world.

That is a critical point in this argument i think. If you have the time or the inclination look at the financial reports of the some of the major retailers that have gone under in recent times - and discount the ones that were financially crippled before the recession.

Blacks Leisure is a case in point - from 2003-07 their revenue tripled - or something very close to that. They were driving increased footfall, shifting more items than in previous financial years - but the key was that they were fundamentally selling £10 notes for £5.

Top line revenue up - profitability through the floor with increasing coast base. It's inevitable that the end comes in that type of business model.

Woodingdeanseagulls

Jan 4, 2012
More than 50% of the UK's total trade is done with the European Union. That's equivalent to 5%-6% of British GDP.

So a deep recession in the rest of the EU will be having a direct hit to the demand for goods and services in the UK.

I'm not saying this is an excuse for slow growth compared to US (even though both economies are completely different), but the US is not as exposed to the economic Eurozone as we are.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here