Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Three Valleys

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Been to St Martin at Easter and the snow was good all the way down to the resort. There's always a bit of luck involved in going to a lower resort at Easter though; that year was decent for spring snow. Having said that, even if there's no snow at resort level, the lift from St Martin is a bubble and this goes directly onto a high speed 6 man chair that takes you up to >2000m.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
NOT MUCH IN THA WAY OF BLACKS IN TIGNES

Just to clarify TheFatBallBoy means black pistes; no need to start looking at property in Tignes Bushy.

Lovecake

Jul 23, 2011
Looking to get a weeks skiing at Easter in the three valleys and never been there before, so i thought i would ask advice on which resort.

We would like ski in/ski out, and the whole family are advanced skiers, so looking for nice long blacks, reds, and maybe a bit of guided off piste. We'll probably take a catered chalet, so restaurants/shops aren't particularly high on our wishlist and me and the wife are definitely too old for any hectic apres ski.

Had a look at St Martin de Belleville but it's only 1400 metres, so not sure if the snow will stay good. Any advice welcome

I did a ski season in Les Menuires in 2008 which is just below Val Thorens and just above St Martin. I'd recommend Val Thorens to go to at Easter time as it is that bit higher so you're likely to have better snow. Should easily be able to find a ski in ski out chalet there too as it's quite spread out and there are a couple of runs that go right through the middle of the village. You can always head down to St. Martin which has some incredible long blues/reds/blacks - make sure you do the run called Jerusalem if you go, was my favourite piste by a long way. if the snow is good enough and you also have Les Menuires which is decent too. Alternatively St Martin + Menuires are less popular and hence a bit cheaper than Val Thorens so you could stay down there and head up to VT whenever you want to (bear in mind a full valley pass is more expensive than just a VT one).

Whichever resort you choose to stay in doesnt really matter though as you do have access to the entire 3 valleys

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
I was there 3 weeks ago. There is absolutely loads of snow even at the lowest levels, so unless there's a major thaw it should be a long season.
St Martin is nice, although quiet (good) and has a direct connection via Gondola to the top of the ridge between it and the Meribel valley. Only possible problem could be if the links are closed due to high winds or fog - you are a bit limited around St Martin itself.

The 3 valleys though is absolutely vast - biggest ski area in the world. Meribel/Mottaret is the centre valley and therefore gets my vote as the best location from which to explore the whole area.

brighton_girl87

Jul 18, 2006
Get yourself in the Sphere bar for apres drinks, Scottish John run a good little gig in there :thumbsup:

Yeah Sphere is brilliant. I'm quite sad to be home, I'm going to try and plan another trip out there again before the end of season.

I'm also gutted I didn't get time to go to Free Ride and use that disgusting slide down to the toilets. Last time I was out there I couldn't get enough of it!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here