Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] The Sun Succeeds In Finding A New Low

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Its basically a daily comic for complete imbeciles. The fact that it is still the biggest selling rag in the country is something that mildly depresses me. I would actually be embarrassed to be seen buying it, or reading it.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
To be honest, my first thought when they announced the game had been abandoned was one of surprise. But then when I thought about it I could see that if the guys life was in the balance and each teams' medics were involved for a prolonged period then - yes - abandon it and replay it at a later date.

The Sun have obviously weighed it up and thought "No, abandonment is not acceptable, we'll run with that story" which - at the very least - is an insult to the family and friends of the deceased, it also guarantees their circulation will tank in Bolton and it comes just after the Tom Lockyer incident, so awful timing.

The day these red top rags bite the dust cannot come soon enough.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Its basically a daily comic for complete imbeciles. The fact that it is still the biggest selling rag in the country is something that mildly depresses me. I would actually be embarrassed to be seen buying it, or reading it.
I remember being in my village store once and seeing an older guy at the counter with copy in hand. My heart genuinely sinks when I see anyone buying it. After all the harm it has done.

Seeing that chap buying it was like your 8 year old still shitting themself. You'd have thought that stage was long gone.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Who on earth buys this rag?

absolutely appalling
I'm afraid people do and if you do you're part of the problem.

Hideous media outlet, one of many from the Murdochs that have polluted our world

ClemFandango

Oct 2, 2023
No
Are any of those tabloids any better than each other? Tabloids write this guff all the time. It was just this weekend the Sun got "unlucky" with it

Look at the record of the Daily Mirror? Look at the grotesque distortions of the truth that come from the Express and the Mail. They've all hacked phones, they've all engaged in gutter journalism with a view to pushing their agenda.

It's my sincerely held view, that our nations greatest enemy are the proprietors of these tabloid papers. Nobody has done more to poison our nation and no one stands as more of a clear threat to our national cohesion and prosperity than this handful of offshore billionairenewspapers any more

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Out of interest, do people think games should now be abandoned every time some falls ill? Genuine question
I take it you are new to this site so you can come on here for a wind up.

if you need an answer to your “ genuine question” I think perhaps you are the problem

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I take it you are new to this site so you can come on here for a wind up.

if you need an answer to your “ genuine question” I think perhaps you are the problem
I don't think Clem is new to this site. When you've been around a while you do smell a resurrection now and then

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Are any of those tabloids any better than each other? Tabloids write this guff all the time. It was just this weekend the Sun got "unlucky" with it

Look at the record of the Daily Mirror? Look at the grotesque distortions of the truth that come from the Express and the Mail. They've all hacked phones, they've all engaged in gutter journalism with a view to pushing their agenda.

It's my sincerely held view, that our nations greatest enemy are the proprietors of these tabloid papers. Nobody has done more to poison our nation and no one stands as more of a clear threat to our national cohesion and prosperity than this handful of offshore billionaires.
I agree. In my lifetime I think the The Sun group has generally been the worst. The Mail and Express tend to be a bit more subtle, but equally as vicious.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Out of interest, do people think games should now be abandoned every time some falls ill? Genuine question
There was a match a short while back where some fans invaded the pitch to get attention for a fellow fan having an episode of some sort. What came out of that is that everything was in hand with stadium staff, and that the accepted policy in these situations is that if a fan can receive treatment without interrupting the game, the game should continue.

Given that this match was abandoned, it would suggest that they couldn't provide treatment for the fan without interrupting the game. (someone above notes that the team medical personnel were involved in delivering treatment for the fan).

Even if that is not the case, it is at best crass and insensitive to frame the issue in the way the Sun did. Would you be happy if your loved one died and a national newspaper reduced it to an "illness" while complaining that a football game was postponed, as if the game was stopped for someone who had a light cough?

ClemFandango

Oct 2, 2023
There was a match a short while back where some fans invaded the pitch to get attention for a fellow fan having an episode of some sort. What came out of that is that everything was in hand with stadium staff, and that the accepted policy in these situations is that if a fan can receive treatment without interrupting the game, the game should continue.

Given that this match was abandoned, it would suggest that they couldn't provide treatment for the fan without interrupting the game. (someone above notes that the team medical personnel were involved in delivering treatment for the fan).

Even if that is not the case, it is at best crass and insensitive to frame the issue in the way the Sun did. Would you be happy if your loved one died and a national newspaper reduced it to an "illness" while complaining that a football game was postponed, as if the game was stopped for someone who had a light cough?
My question was not about the article. Back in the day, the emergency services and St John's ambulances dealt with spectators falling ill and the game continued. Statistically, it's very likely for these kinds of things to happen. But there seems to be a trend towards abandoning games altogether. Why is that?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
My question was not about the article. Back in the day, the emergency services and St John's ambulances dealt with spectators falling ill and the game continued. Statistically, it's very likely for these kinds of things to happen. But there seems to be a trend towards abandoning games altogether. Why is that?
What other matches have been abandoned because a fan died?

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Yes, it was us chanting Seagulls, but it was definitely Millwall that were accused in the article. I was livid when I read it, and wrote in to the Sun to set the record straight.
As did I. He also sat in the middle of nowhere and then claimed racism as no-one sat next to him.

Been watching the Stuart Millard channel recommended on here and the Gulf Aid concert they put on was up there with The Sun's lows. Davidson in full Chalky mode. A black stand up talking about having to go mug people and not living next door to Pakistanis. John Inman introducing lots of "dear friends" who make gay jokes. Naked male balloon dancers waving their bits about. And a comeback from retirement from Mike Yarwood who died on his arse due to stage fright and an audience too thick to get his political jokes. And Vera Lynn following Davidson who had been getting the crowd singing Dambusters and making machine gun noises. Despite Germany being in the coalition on our side in the conflict in question.

Throw in the random Page 3 girls who wandered on for no reason and you have a wet dream for a couple of posters on here.

ClemFandango

Oct 2, 2023
What other matches have been abandoned because a fan died?
Leyton vs Lincoln City in October 2023. My point is this, stewards and paramedics are required to be at matches by law exactly to deal with these horrendous situations. EFL guidance for example is that matches shouldn’t be abandoned.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003

When I purchased it I used to wrap it inside a copy of 'Big and Juicy Asian Babes'.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Millions of people not reading this thread will disagree and enjoy the Sun. That is the world we live in, anyone over the age of 18 who hasn’t grasped this yet has some catching up to do.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Leyton vs Lincoln City in October 2023. My point is this, stewards and paramedics are required to be at matches by law exactly to deal with these horrendous situations. EFL guidance for example is that matches shouldn’t be abandoned.
Which was abandoned because of a pitch invasion. An invasion that happened because the ref was continuing the game and allowing the stadium staff to treat the fan, in line with policy. You can't keep a match going when fans are sitting on the pitch.

So we have had one match abandoned because of . Not a trend.

The policy is described:

Supporters are asked not to alert players or staff on the pitch as in most cases the crowd medical team will be able to provide medical care as the match continues.​
Should a situation arise where there is a need for the match to be halted, a decision will be taken between the crowd medical team, the ground safety team and the match officials with the information relayed to the supporters at the ground.​

If necessary the match can be halted.

We have one example of a match being halted because of a fan needing treatment. (And one example of a pitch invasion because fans thought it was needed causing a match to be halted). This is not a trend we need to worry about. And if the people who know the stadium, facilities, policies, and all the necessary information around an incident and the particulat needs of the supporter in question thinks that it needs to be stopped, who are we to suggest otherwise.

All this, though, is just a distraction from what the thread was started about - the appalling attitude shown by the Sun to a fan dying at a game.

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017
I think the medical teams are probably the best people to judge! I try and get seats in a place were there will be minimal disruption if the med teams have to pop over but I have the benefit of foresight. Think how densely packed stands and rows are & if I were sitting in the wrong place, there would be major disruption. The likelihood of me dying is quite minimal but what your're not considering is that if the medical teams come over and can't find a pulse, at that moment I'm sort of technically dead. I haven't read the story but I think there are protocols that mean you can't just stretcher a dead person off.
As for The Sun, I'm embarrassed by the fact that my elderly parents still buy it. One of my friends needed newspaper for their puppy, it's not good enough for a puppy to piss on, they buy The Argus as well so I asked them to save that, which sort of makes it up to standard for a puppy to piss on. :unsure:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here