Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The style/formation?

willyfantastic

Mar 1, 2009
Well we may have them, because they didn't go down with cramp, unlike the Sheff Wed players from 60 mins onwards........

In terms of the formation, it is pointless having a big pitch and playing narrow in the last third.

if the fullbacks push on then it isnt narrow....

if the wingers then tuck in, o grady has people to knock it down to. once they get the hang of it, it should work

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
if the fullbacks push on then it isnt narrow....

if the wingers then tuck in, o grady has people to knock it down to. once they get the hang of it, it should work

Don't agree, because yesterday Bruno only now and again got into the last third (mainly first half). By pushing the wingers inside, you are taking them out of their natural environment, and pushing them inside where there are less options and more opposition players. That happened time and time again yesterday with KLL.

The other weakness of the system is that if the FBs are pushed up, you are reliant on Crofts, JFC and /or Ince slotting in to provide cover. With the exception of Ince that leaves us very vulnerable in terms of pace if the ball is cleared.

In terms of picking up knock downs, that is what the midfield should be doing, by pushing on, but of course if they are slotting in for the full-backs, its not going to happen.

We'll see and I'm happy for you to bounce this post, but I really can't see it as a way forward.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Buckley from the start? You know he can't run anymore right?!

Nope, not right. WRONG!

Buckley ran OK against Derby until his hamstring twanged. Messi has hamstring problems as well. So did Michael Owen. Goes with the territory.

Midfielders have to find the pass though. Not the first pass that enters their head because they are playing too quickly.

I don't like the new style of football and I am beginning to wish I had not bought a season ticket. I liked the Poyet lop-sided 4-3-3 with one winger and one overlapping full back.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
If we are to get the best out of COG we need somebody to feed off of his knock downs either CMS or an attacking midfielder not Lua Lua we need him out wide he was wasted yesterday

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
If we are to get the best out of COG we need somebody to feed off of his knock downs either CMS or an attacking midfielder not Lua Lua we need him out wide he was wasted yesterday

Re COG ..wasn't that what Fenelon was supposing to be picking up...the 2 of them just didn't click ...re full backs I thought Bruno and Calde were our main threats

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
I thought our system had promise.

It was loose passing, hesitant shooting etc that was frustrating and which lost us the game, not the system.

I liked how positive we were, forward thinking, good movement.

How many of our decent positions led to a poor final ball or shot attempt, and how many of our passes were too SHORT, that was ridiculous. Those things aside I liked where and how we were wanting to play, and we shouldn't forget that we were the better side for most of the game

Maybe we are just seeing the bedding in of a new system, somewhat new team, new manager, new working environment for all the players at the training ground, early season rust, and so on.

Give it a few more games (and a prolific goalscorer) and I think people will start to really like what they see.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Not the first pass that enters their head because they are playing too quickly.

Saw us do that at least a couple of times yesterday.

Stumpy Tim

Formation seems to need some refining. Hypia is trying to fit players into the formation rather than the other way round. We have a wide pitch and played too narrow. We have two really good good wingers in Lua Lua and Buckley and played them too narrow today. We would be better playing 3-5-2 with Greer ( right) Dunk (Central) Hughes (left) at the back, Ince/Toko (defensive midfield), Bruno/Calde (right wing backs), Lua Lua/Chicksen (left wing backs)', combination from three of of Crofts/Stevens/Forster Caskey/March (central/attacking midfield) with two from O'Grady, Buckley/CMS/Fenelon up front. That's before we sign any more players to improve the first team. Must get rid of Agustein - he's having a laugh, and must be one of the worst players I have seen in an Albion shirt. A bad influence and a joker of a player so just pay him off to got rid.

Poor tactics like today will see Sami gone well before Christmas. Now 4 losses in a row including friendlies. Will Sami make it to 10 losses in a row as happened at Leverkusen?
I agree on the formation. 3-5-2 would suit the players we have. Not many managers play that way anymore

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Lualua & Buckley have had success from fullbacks supporting them and feed if them - or taking a man away by making a run thus freeing up space for the wingers. Just the fullbacks running down the wings simply won't work IMO. We need more width - painfully obvious I'm afraid....

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
There wasn't a style or formation

Summed up by every time LuaLua had the ball in his central midfield position (!!!!WTF) he looked up to the left wing to make a pass to himself....

No width at all....

Spot on. Painful viewing!

Kevlar

Dec 20, 2013
the spark in this system needs to come from the two wider/ deeper strikers
a lot of both creative and scoring responsibility on the Lua Lua and Fenelon positions.
with only 2 centre halfs and two full backs so far up it was going to be difficult
for the midfielders to hit the box

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Didn't like it at all unfortunately . Calderon is not a left winger at All and kaz always creates chances from the left wing so just don't get why when searching fir a goal he still wasn't instructed to hug the touch line . The positive wS overlaps had potential . Certainly wasn't the identity we've been used to and we just looked another team . Kemy sub wasn't good and CMS on the bench was odd although lots of rumours about him and SH falling out .

As for hyypia don't think I saw him get off the bench at all .

Only one game but hope hyypia will not stick with this formation . I think we will be hard pushed to get anything at Leeds so expecting a melt down on here .

Moral boosting win tue and a few goals would be just the ticket

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Anyone feel we try and make things a lot more complicated than they need to be??

We have wingers ... Lua Lua, Buckley (currently), March ... so why not play wingers as wingers instead of playing wing backs (who are really full backs) as wingers?? I don't get it.

And as a previous poster pointed out, that means that your defensive midfielders are covering the full/wing backs when they bomb (or in the case of ours, run quite fast) forward.

So your full/wing backs are playing where the wingers should be, the wingers are tucked inside, and the defensive midfielders are covering the full/wing backs. And what exactly does that achieve? Why not just have everyone play in their proper position? Hopes it makes some sense to someone, and in particular the players, because it doesn't make sense to me. I stand ready to have scorn poured upon me when we start winning regularly with this system, but it appears unnecessarily complicated.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
:bounce::bounce:

I'm just amazed Sami rigidly sticks to it rather than attempting other formations

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here