Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Stranglers are back !

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
and riding high at number 31 in the charts with " Big Thing Coming " and a new album out soon.

This song is back to their best and could have been on the Black & White Album from 1978. JJ Burnel's chugging bass and Dave Greenfield's rippling keyboards with Jet Black's thundering percussion.

Rock & Roll !.

Anyone else excited ?.

Turgid

Dec 5, 2003
Wadhurst
Is Hugh with them? Now that would be exciting. Without him all I can say is that I am mildly interested.

Jameson

I saw them at the Brighton Centre (supporting UB40) before Christmas - and they were bloody ace. I had never seen them live before, although they were on of my favourites back in the 70's.

I would definitely go again and will look out for the album :clap2:

Who is the lead singer these days? Did not really know who he was. Not one of the original line up?

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Saw them play Guilfest last year and they were very good. I hadn't realised exactly how many of their tracks I knew, it was pretty much the soundtrack to my childhood.

marvin

Jul 5, 2003
The corner quietly rusting
Jameson said:

Who is the lead singer these days? Did not really know who he was. Not one of the original line up?

Paul Roberts

There's absolutely no point to The Stranglers without Hugh Cornwell.

alan partridge

Jul 7, 2003
Linton Travel Tavern
WhitleyDennis said:
There's absolutely no point to The Stranglers without Hugh Cornwell.

i dunno. if you took away dave greenfields keyboards then i would say there is no point, but i'm mildly curious to hear this new stuff:)

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
The Stranglers unique sound comes particularly from the rippling keyboards of Dave Greenfield imho. Listen to the new single they are there in all their full glory.

Turgid

Dec 5, 2003
Wadhurst
I must admit I find myself arguing with myself on this one.

I have always maintained that the Stranglers without Hugh were simply not the Stranglers. However, I have recently rediscovered The Undertones who are just as good without Fergal, so I guess I should give the Hughless Stranglers a go.

I have fond memories of both bands, having seen them both at the top of their careers. Will never forget seeing The Stranglers at Guildford. Everyone was frisked on the front door and all 'weapons' were confiscated. I have never seen such a large collection of bullet belts in one place!

Jean Jacque also gave us a demonstration of his martial arts skills using a disruptive member of the audience as a practice dummy, whilst still maintaining the bass line of Peaches. I was so inspired that I bought a bass guitar and formed a band - never helped me win a fight though.....

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
My dad used to listen to them loudly.

Always the Sun, and the album it is on, are classics.

Turgid

Dec 5, 2003
Wadhurst
Sweden is one of my favourites - "let me tell you about Sweden

Only country where the clouds are interesting" - on Black and White I believe

and - Men in Black on La Folie - "human flesh is porky meat...hehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehe"

I have drifted in a haze of memories........happy daze.........

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here