Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Story of The Jam

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Astonishing songwriting and singing talent. With B-sides that are way more eloquent than most bands' A-sides...

Zen Frenzy

Jul 2, 2013
Withdean
Saw them a few times including their last ever concert at the Brighton Centre. Still got the T-shirt at the bottom of the scabby pile of clothes I can no longer fit into but can't bring myself to throw out.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
The synchronicity and serendipity of those years will never be surpassed in my lifetime. Weller/Foxton wrote such great lyrics and melodies that will never be emulated. In a time where we had the three day week, power cuts, the winter of discontent, there still even bomb damage from the second world war in Brighton that had not been repaired, these guys and others sang about what they saw. I saw the Jam many, many times at Brighton and in and around London, they had a very loyal fan base, but above all they were icons of a certain generation, power, aggression and thoughtful lyrics. I still go to see From the Jam with Bruce Foxton and Russell Hastings and the music is as great today as it was then. My favourite amongst others, 'Absolute Beginners'

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Just missed out on their gigs as too young, but at the time and ever since, adore:

That's Entertainment - get goose bumps at the initial guitar, and Weller's singing
Eton Rifles
Town Called Malice
Going Underground
The Bitterest Pill
Down the Tube Station

Weller's singing voice is unique and brilliant

Did get to see the Style Council, due to a friend, but they weren't my cup of tea.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Did get to see the Style Council, due to a friend, but they weren't my cup of tea.

For the first three years, they were every bit as brilliant as The Jam, I think. Different, though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here