Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] The standard of Europa League refs

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
We possibly witnessed the first time a player has been booked for diving only for VAR to intervene and award a penalty :ROFLMAO:
Twice in one game to the same player

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
The first pen was ridiculous he checked his run and completely sold the defender.
Would have been in on goal if he hadn't been caught.

The most stonewall of stonewall pens.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
About the same quality as much of our passing.
I think that knowing that a bit of GBH was likely to be heading your way might make most of us move the ball quicker and less accurately :shrug:

AEK had thugs reminiscent of Wimbledon in their top flight days.

I fear for our players safety in Athens if we get another ref like tonight’s. It’s gonna be very hostile there.

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
Oh how I miss those old chants
who s the Wanker in the the black ( Pre prem kit changes for refs)
he s bald he s bent his arse is up for for rent Referee Referee
Im certain there were more Back in the day
Feel free to add those you recall
Need to remember that to have any impact in the European matches the “wanker in the black” chant (I’m not commenting on the other chant) would have to be translated into a different language. My Estonian isn’t up to scratch, so I wouldn’t have volunteered to have started the chant about tonight’s officials. We should probably seek volunteers on here to translate the chant for the next 5 matches.

Jim Van Winkle

Jul 14, 2010
Hawaii
Ref had a shocker. At least he got the train down from Thornton Heath on time.

Lamptey taken out by the corner flag and nothing given. FFS

He wasn’t interested in giving two clear penalty’s. Luckily VAR did its job.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
He wasn't just poor, he was so far out of his depth it was unbelievable. Totally guessing decisions (emphatically waving away a clear penalty and booking our player for diving on a clear penalty, for example), allowing them to carry on with their constant timewasting from the off, doing everything he could not to give a yellow in the first half then dishing them out at random in the second. f***ing woeful.

As said elsewhere though, not the reason we lost.

AlexBH

Nov 19, 2017
We’d have lost 3-0 without VAR as the ref was useless. Giving Pedro a booking for diving and then looking like a complete fool waving away the card and pointing to the spot. Honestly I can’t think of a single time a referee has booked a player for diving then given a penalty instead. For once I was grateful for VAR, never thought I’d say that at an Albion game cos I still blooming hate it and want it scrapped as it takes more away from the game than it gives.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I quite like him.

I wonder if they rely more on VAR for pens in UEFA games?
Indeed. I though the ref was pretty decent. Bookings for back chat. Used VAR well.

(We were a bit shit though. Not a lot of people appear to know that. I bet Debbie McGee does though)

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Indeed. I though the ref was pretty decent. Bookings for back chat. Used VAR well.
Refs don't choose to review a decision on the screen, of course.

They head to the screen, to take another look, because someone in their ear is telling them "you've f***ed that one right up mate".

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Once the ref had (eventually) given us 2 penalties he clearly wasn't going to give us anything else unless it involved an AEK player using weapons!

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Estonian refereeing rules:

Outright and repeated assault - minor ticking off
Getting clattered - yellow card for simulation
Questioning useless decision - attempt world record for ‘fastest yellow’

Last edited:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Not great is it.

Did his best not to give us a penalty on 2 occasions, then started throwing yellow cards around like confetti in the 2nd half.

For the first time that I can remember, I'm grateful for VAR.

For the first time since Man Utd at home last season. Not that long ago!
How about for the first time since Man Utd away? i.e. our LAST GAME - when VAR ruled out their goal because the ball went out of play.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Refs don't choose to review a decision on the screen, of course.

They head to the screen, to take another look, because someone in their ear is telling them "you've f***ed that one right up mate".
True enough :thumbsup:

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
How about for the first time since Man Utd away? i.e. our LAST GAME - when VAR ruled out their goal because the ball went out of play.
My memory's getting shorter by the day.

But let's move on. Who's looking forward to the first Europa game against AEK?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here