Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Southern Railway Key ticket

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
I was toying with the idea of getting one, but I couldn't see any real advantage for me. If for example I used it on football days, coming from the east, I would surely have to tap out at Lewes, then in again going home, else the card would get 'confused'? Don't need to be faffing about doing that.

Having read the teething issue's with the things on here, that has made my mind up.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
I was toying with the idea of getting one, but I couldn't see any real advantage for me. If for example I used it on football days, coming from the east, I would surely have to tap out and in at Lewes, else the card would get 'confused'? Don't need to be faffing about doing that.

Having read the teething issue's with the things on here, that has made my mind up.

At the risk of sounding like the Key card helpline - While the southern site tells you to tap in and out, you actually don't have to. It doesn't work like the Oyster card....

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
That is very frustrating but for future reference, if that happens again, go to the machine and hit the 'Buy Smartcard ticket' or whatever it is, tap your card and it will load up there and then.....

Thanks for the tip, of course it would have been useful if the Southern worker at the gate had told me that.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
At the risk of sounding like the Key card helpline - While the southern site tells you to tap in and out, you actually don't have to. It doesn't work like the Oyster card....

But I presume you will have to when the flexible tickets come in

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Oh, the Brighton and Hove bus/Metrobus key cards will be linked with the Southern key later this year, so only 1 card would be needed. Think plus bus already works on it

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I just loaded my first journey on to mine, will be interested to see how it pans out.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
I live in London and the Oyster card is actually incredibly easy and much more intuitive now than when it started. It now refunds you if you forget to tap out working out where you got off sometimes.

The overall problem which I assume is the same with the key card is that TOCs don't work together. Ken and I think Boris after him spent years trying to get the rail companies to accept Oyster because it meant a financial loss to them as the key reason for it was to save the commuter money which they then lost. All a legacy of privatisation of the rail system. If Oyster is anything to go by then it will be sorted out at some point but don't put any money on when or it being soon.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Oh, the Brighton and Hove bus/Metrobus key cards will be linked with the Southern key later this year, so only 1 card would be needed. Think plus bus already works on it

All three are part of the Go Ahead empire , so in theory if they can link these up regionally there shouldn't be anything to stop them eventually rolling it out on a national basis.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
All three are part of the Go Ahead empire , so in theory if they can link these up regionally there shouldn't be anything to stop them eventually rolling it out on a national basis.

Pretty much, a lot hinges on the new Thameslink franchise too - rumours ive heard are that Go Ahead are one of the 2 main frontrunners, if they win it then expect the key to be rolled out possibly up to Bedford, Cambridge and Peterborough, maybe also on London Midland all the way up to Birmingham, Crewe and Liverpool too. This is more likely to happen before a national card, but even then - this is miles off. Might just be 1 single card for all GA transport too.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
The Southern Key is utterly useless if commuting to London, as doesn't include London Bridge, Waterloo, or any intermediate stations which the standard London terminals season ticket provides for. Also as mentioned not intergrated with Oyster or local buses.
Also not valid as a gold card to get discounts.

Until it completely matches the card ticket avoid at all costs

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
TfL want to replace Oyster in the next couple of years with contactless "wave and pay" to minimise costs. Passengers (customers ?) will be able to use debit/credit cards , smartphones or the smartcard successor to Oyster.

Indeed something the company I work for are very interested in.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
What do you know about paying for public transport?

As you know I don't however we provide a huge amount of options to pay for it.

Nice try at a wind up

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here