Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The South of England Show

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Went on a school trip many moons ago - quite enjoyed seeing how much free stuff I could get ( even if most of it was tat ).

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Went on a school trip many moons ago - quite enjoyed seeing how much free stuff I could get ( even if most of it was tat ).

My school deprived me of that joy, instead preferring to focus on HMS Victory & the Weald & Downland Open Air Museum.

Since1982

Sep 30, 2006
Burgess Hill
Went last year and enjoyed a few hours wandering around. Some great food stalls and marquees with plenty to taste. Loads of slightly dodgy stalls selling kitchen and garden appliances you never thought you would need (and having bought one or two it turns out I didn't really need them). Some interesting Showground events, not just cattle. Some quirky stuff as well. If we weren't busy with other stuff we'd go again this year.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
My school deprived me of that joy, instead preferring to focus on HMS Victory & the Weald & Downland Open Air Museum.

Oh yes, went to both of them as well. Surely you went to either Burwash or Blacklands as well ? EVERYONE went to one of those ?

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Oh yes, went to both of them as well. Surely you went to either Burwash or Blacklands as well ? EVERYONE went to one of those ?

Blacklands Farm for a bit of kayaking and rock climbing? Yes, yes we did that.

Not done Burwash though. What's there?

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
Blacklands Farm for a bit of kayaking and rock climbing? Yes, yes we did that.

Not done Burwash though. What's there?

Burwash was fairly similar - i.e. an activity centre - just not run by the girl guides. No idea if it still exists.

Went to the Bath and West Show last week which is 'kin huge - we didn't see all of it. Truly something for everyone, not just the the Barbour brigade and potential for stuffing yourself silly with free food samples. I would imagine that Ardingly is along the same lines but not as big

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Went to the Bath and West Show last week which is 'kin huge - we didn't see all of it. Truly something for everyone, not just the the Barbour brigade and potential for stuffing yourself silly with free food samples. I would imagine that Ardingly is along the same lines but not as big

Lots of organic alpaca milk frozen yoghurt?

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003

I have to say, that one is much better than I remember Ardingly being. Look out for the venison from Brockley Farm :thumbsup:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I used to go every year as a school trip... over 35 years ago though. I remember lots of stalls and a central field where the police dog handling display team, some motorcyclists (possibly the police again) who would drive around in a human pyramid display and the Red Devils jumping out a plane. I have a photo of me as a 9 year old wearing an England tracksuit with those big side-pocketed flares at this event.

The Stout Yeoman

Master Farter
Aug 14, 2003
59 Le Petomane Boulevard
I used to go every year as a school trip... over 35 years ago though. I remember lots of stalls and a central field where the police dog handling display team, some motorcyclists (possibly the police again) who would drive around in a human pyramid display and the Red Devils jumping out a plane. I have a photo of me as a 9 year old wearing an England tracksuit with those big side-pocketed flares at this event.
:needpics:

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Thanks for mentioning Edna, got the day off on Friday for my other half's birthday and been wondering what to do.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Sold :thumbsup:

I've just looked at the website and noticed there are beekeeping demonstrations. [MENTION=236]Papa Lazarou[/MENTION], are you reading this? :)

Interesting - I've seen such things at the Findon Sheep Fair before (it's MUCH more than just sheep). As honey bees are becoming very rare it's good that there are people out there specializing in apiary.

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
Thanks for mentioning Edna, got the day off on Friday for my other half's birthday and been wondering what to do.

You sure know how to treat a lady.

Jul 7, 2003
We went a couple of years ago when it coincided with half term as a way of keeping the kids occupied. Lots of different things to see and do as mentioned above but also showjumping, stunt bikes, fly fishing (kept the boy quiet for 15 minutes).

I wouldn't go every year but it made a nice day out and would go back again at some point.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
Went along today .. Lots of cows, pigs and sheep - horses too & Princess Anne ......

If you take your wife though beware.. This is for many a shopping experience, first & foremost.. Lots of retail therapy!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here