Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Somme

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Its difficult to even comprehend almost 20,000 dead in the first few hours. Horrific.

stream_img.jpg

http://www.itv.com/news/westcountry...-figures-commemorate-the-battle-of-the-somme/

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Never been able to get my head around what they went through. It is a loss too great to comprehend.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Much the same here.

I have done my usual and taken myself away from the rest of the office. I had a meeting cancelled but kept the room booking to have some quiet time.

I am only 28, many my age do the silence and leave it there but I have so much admiration for the men and boys that fought for us all those years ago, it is something that, if asked to do today, I doubt I could.

On days like these I will usually spend half an hour or so doing some research and reading accounts of the people there. It always puts a lot of things into perspective

RIP
Thanks to this thread have just spent the last ten minutes looking at the incredible footage of the ghosts installation. Privilege for those who got to witness that moving tribute firsthand.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Just watching the tribute to the fallen on the BBC, very moving, no words of mine can sum up adequately the loss of so many futures.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I have a letter sent to my great grandmother in June 2016 from her brother who was fighting on the eve of The Somme offensive. His address shows as "Somewhere in France" and he describes in one part - in a very matter of fact way - how the quartermaster's head was blown clean off his shoulders.

My great grandmother had two brothers, one of whom died and the other lived. I've often wondered which brother wrote the letter.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here