Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Solution To Petrol?

JEM

Jul 5, 2003
Bevendean
Human Shit as Fuel Source

Thai scientists have developed a process by which human excrement can be turned to fuel, dubbed "bio-oil". This processed poo juice is capable of powering automobiles, which will be quite handy considering that feces is nearly always a buyer's market. The fuel is produced by a nitrogen gas "blast", a rather unusual approach as earth's air is 78% nitrogen. Poo conversion is still too expensive to use for the time being, however.

And I thought catalytic converters smelled bad. Imagine what one of these fuel processing babys might smell like.

Jul 5, 2003
Manchester.
Read an artical not to long ago that they than can run cars on water!, but the goverment have swept the idea under the carpet because they wouldn't be able to charge tax and paid the inventer millions to stay silent.

You proberly think I've had a few beers today and the sun has taken it's toll on me but I believe the artical because we all know that one day the oil will dry up and they will have to find another solution to petrol.

I love the idea of water instead of petrol but the goverment will find a way of taxing us all another way, the wankers.

Raphael Meade

Jul 5, 2003
Shoreham/LA
you can run a diesel car on vegetable oil. it works perfectly well but there was a crackdown on it a few months back, because as you say it is isn't taxed.

you can however, register with the appropriate authorities, fill your car up with oil from tesco's then fill out a tax return each month and send a cheque for the fuel duty off to the govt. The duty on this is less than petrol (about 25p a litre if my memory serves me correctly). This together with oil costing about 44p a litre means slightly cheaper fuel than petrol.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
the link dosent work.

the water thing is not quite how it seems. Youve probably heard of hydrogen fueled cars, the idea with water based is that you extract the hydrogen as your going along. You dont have the problems of storing raw hydrogen, but as you say its a little tricky to charge excise duty. But as i understand it, it was only a proof of concept as you need some power source to initialy split the hydrogen frm he oxygen.

Raphael Meade

Jul 5, 2003
Shoreham/LA
p.s. with regards to farangs post, you can't run normal cars on water but they have recently developed a fuel cell that can be powered by water.

at present hydrogen fuelled buses are being given a go in a few places, most notably perth, australia and seem to be going down quite nicely, the only stuff it chucks out the exhaust is water, so a big plus on the environmental side too...

sorry, seemed to post the same time as beroth..! the hydrogen powered vehicles use a hydrogen fuel cell that does all the hard work for you.

Last edited:

Raphael Meade said:
you can run a diesel car on vegetable oil. it works perfectly well but there was a crackdown on it a few months back, because as you say it is isn't taxed.

you can however, register with the appropriate authorities, fill your car up with oil from tesco's then fill out a tax return each month and send a cheque for the fuel duty off to the govt. The duty on this is less than petrol (about 25p a litre if my memory serves me correctly). This together with oil costing about 44p a litre means slightly cheaper fuel than petrol.

Why tell them?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Raphael, i think theres some hydrogen powered buses in the UK too, somewhere like Oxford. And there was apparently a few cabs running round London with hydrogen fuel cells.

Shame this stuff isnt more widly available. The vegtable oil thing is fantastic from an environmental point of view as the oil can be produced sustainably (grow some more rape seed rather than dig up ancient oil). Fuel cells date from the 60's (used in space programs) and somthing to easily power your house can be bought for about £4k ( a replacement lump for your focus will cost about £2k)

Problem isnt governments but distribution. The oil companies own the distibution channel for car fuel, and since they cant patent/corner market in these fuels, they're understandibly not too interested in allowing their distribution through the forecourts.

Raphael Meade

Jul 5, 2003
Shoreham/LA
it is starting to get more publicity and money into it. all the major oil companies are now investing huge amounts of money into these 'new' alternatives such as hydrogen fuel cells, etc and even george dubya put aside a fair old wad in his last state of the union.

there was even a piece of radio 5 on saturday night, a bloke who uses the veggie oil to power his car was talking about how he went about it and gave an address for his website where it tells you how you can do it.

Eddie the Seagull

Jul 6, 2003
Crowborough
CAFC Matt said:
Can you imagine instead of saying "I am going to get sme petrol" you say "I am going to get some Shit" :eek: :lolol:

That's what Managers say when they sign players from Palarse.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here