Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Shrimps

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
we were the shrimps when I started but dolphins was also used - the two seemed synonomous through the 50's/60's (I have an idea Southend were also the shrimps or shrimpers) until we mutated into seagulls in the 70's

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Yes,we've at times been Shrimps,Dolphins and Seagulls.

Since 1901 we've always been The Albion.

Langley

Mar 10, 2008
Waltham Chase, Hants
We were certainly the Shrimps when I started supporting Albion in 1948, I believe that we changed to Dolphins when the species were introduced into the aquarium, but cannot remember the date.

Can you imagine the ribbing we would get if we were still the Shrimps.
The Shrimpers would have been better, but thats already taken.

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
It's something to be proud of that we fans changed the name to Seagulls by sheer force of people power. With a little help from Palace of course. Constantly chanting Seagulls until it became the norm.

Robdinho

Jul 26, 2004
Can you imagine the ribbing we would get if we were still the Shrimps.
The Shrimpers would have been better, but thats already taken.

Morecambe are The Shrimps.
Not the most heroic of nicknames!
Morecambe_FC_(2010).jpg

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
We were the 'Shrimps',Morecambe a non league club were also the 'Shrimps',Southend were the 'Shrimpers,think we changed to the Dolphins sometime in the middle 60s....then onto the 'Seagulls'.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
I seem to recall us changing to Dolphins when Bamber started rejigging the commercial side of the club away from the old Supporters Club. Whilst Shrimps was an acknowledged nickname, I don't recall it actually being used other than in a couple of press reports. We were the Dolphins for only about a year 'cos noone liked it and Seagulls got adopted by the north stand, and it stuck.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
we were the shrimps when I started but dolphins was also used - the two seemed synonomous through the 50's/60's (I have an idea Southend were also the shrimps or shrimpers) until we mutated into seagulls in the 70's

We were the 'Shrimps',Morecambe a non league club were also the 'Shrimps',Southend were the 'Shrimpers,think we changed to the Dolphins sometime in the middle 60s....then onto the 'Seagulls'.
They still are.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I read somewhere that we were known as the Twins for a short time many years ago, as we were the only league team named after two towns.
I do remember somebody on the Chicken Run back in the 1960s shouting "Come on the twin towns!" Always stuck with me for some reason, although I don't think I heard it again.

And yes, I remember us being called The Shrimps, although unlike Seagulls or Dolphins I don't think it was ever an 'official' nickname. Also at that time the reserves had their own nickname - The Lambs.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
I seem to recall us changing to Dolphins when Bamber started rejigging the commercial side of the club away from the old Supporters Club. Whilst Shrimps was an acknowledged nickname, I don't recall it actually being used other than in a couple of press reports. We were the Dolphins for only about a year 'cos noone liked it and Seagulls got adopted by the north stand, and it stuck.

This is correct. We were The Shrimps until Bamber's team named us The Dolphins and produced loads of scarves but nobody bought them because the fans named us The Seagulls to compete with The Eagles.

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011

From Gracefull dolphins to the vermin that are seagulls the guys that thought that one up want shagging,even the pundits take the piss .:albion2:

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I at that time the reserves had their own nickname - The Lambs.

I think reserves everywhere used to be called that - I was never sure if it was because they were young and frolicksome or more likely were headed to the slaughter :lol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here