Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Second Investec Ashes Test, England v Australia, Lords

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Yes well we could skittle them for 22 like Lancs did to Essex.

You're being PICKY. I guess I could have said "I'd expect Australia to overhaul 300 quite comfortably" but it would've taken longer.

And that would be a LUNATIC suggestion. The Aussies have given no indication whatsoever that they will overhaul 300 comfortably. I think it would take quite an effort for them to get over 300, on account of them being a bit shithouse and our best bowlers being very, very good.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
So much depends on Anderson and Broad doing some early damage. Broad will go for plenty I reckon, but that's OK if he's taking wickets.

And if they do take wickets, this is going to be tight. If not, I don't see Bresnan doing an awful lot and that will be one end regularly left open and I can see Australia getting 450-500 on this track and in this heat.

Those three wickets from Smith last night could prove critical, as two of them were just batsmen throwing their wickets away.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
And that would be a LUNATIC suggestion. The Aussies have given no indication whatsoever that they will overhaul 300 comfortably. I think it would take quite an effort for them to get over 300, on account of them being a bit shithouse and our best bowlers being very, very good.
You think Australia exceeding 300 with ease is a LUNATIC suggestion? It might be incorrect but "lunacy" is pure arrogance on your part. Apart from anything else, Australia usually win here.

Our two best bowlers are indeed good, but Broad is patchy and Bresnan is a trundler - teams that truly dominate test matches regularly normally have tandem bowlers who between them are very difficult to score against. Broad can bowl really well, but he also bowls some dross in spells.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

You're aware how many runs Clarke has scored over the last 12 months!?

They've started with caution, playing patiently, carefully and punishing the odd ball. This is a very ominous start. This new ball will lose it's potency in under 20 overs, if it doesn't really reverse, this could be a long day in the field.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
Thank god for that - I was worried Watson was going to take this by the scruff of the neck. Another couple in the first half hour after lunch would nice as well

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
You think Australia exceeding 300 with ease is a LUNATIC suggestion? It might be incorrect but "lunacy" is pure arrogance on your part. Apart from anything else, Australia usually win here.

I didn't say the possibility of them exceeding it was lunacy. I said EXPECTING them to is. Evidence from this series so far suggests they probably won't. They might.

"Usually" winning here means little - how often have the Ausses played at Lord's in the last couple of years? Plenty of their players are new to all this, it's a new side basically.

In the first test we saw an incredibly weak Aussie side raise their game for the occasion. England played comfortably below par and still won.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Huge wicket. I think England will be happy with their morning's work. Watson has the capability to put runs on the board, but with Rogers scratching around for 12 in 12.4 overs, Khawaja under pressure and the ball still new England will feel they have a great chance to rip into that batting line-up.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here