[Finance] ******** The Scam Thread *********

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
I have just had a call from an Indian chap who called himself Harry. He said my home appliance insurance has run out. I have never had any.

Bombardier

NSC Patron
Jul 22, 2004
Hove actually
I have just had a call from an Indian chap who called himself Harry. He said my home appliance insurance has run out. I have never had any.

Hurry up Arry, c'mon. We're going down the pub.............

Ooopppsss, wrong Harry

had a good one today - a cold call from "BT" from an Indian call centre. i usually just hang up as Im not with BT but thought i would play along. They clearly hadnt done their homework very well because she kept going on about a 25% discount on my monthly fee and free mobile calls. I asked about broadband being included and she said no its calls only but i could save £35pm (!!!???) if i paid 2 years up front. When i pointed out i get calls included for free already for £35pm with broadband (i dunno i guessed - im not with bt) i said to her does that mean i get it for free?

She thought about it for a second and then said - Yes you pay us £499 up front then its free for 2 years ??? So when i politely replied - "well its not free then" she hung up!. Shame i was hoping to drag the conversation out a bit longer. Scared to think how many people have fallen for this - maybe in the past when call packages were way more expensive but not recently. In fact i struggled to find a calls only package more than £24 a month anywhere.

warlingham seagull

Jul 28, 2004
Warlingham
A new on on me.
Latest email purports to come from gov.uk

You can claim £500 as a covid payment from the government if you click on this link....

Reported to gov.uk and microsoft as it comes from a hotmail address

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Bernie Madoff one of the biggest scammers of all time died today. He Madoff with nearly $65 Billion. The Ponzi scheme to end all Ponzi schemes

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
My wife had a call yesterday from some pr1ck in India. She let him babble in a wee while and then asked him “tell me, does your Mum know what you do for a living? and is she proud of you? Is she thrilled her little boy is conning poor vulnerable people out of their hard earned money?”.

He replied, well, I have to make a living for my family. She then asked “is your Gran alive”, yes he answered. She told him “Go and tell her about your job, and ask her if she’s proud of you stealing from people her age”. At that point he hung up.

arewethereyet?

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Had a brilliant one earlier today, my mobile was called and an automated message said it was the national crime agency, apparently my NI number has been used fraudulently and if I don’t press 1 to discuss it I will be arrested! Unbelievable, number blocked.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
had a good one today - a cold call from "BT" from an Indian call centre. i usually just hang up as Im not with BT but thought i would play along. They clearly hadnt done their homework very well because she kept going on about a 25% discount on my monthly fee and free mobile calls. I asked about broadband being included and she said no its calls only but i could save £35pm (!!!???) if i paid 2 years up front. When i pointed out i get calls included for free already for £35pm with broadband (i dunno i guessed - im not with bt) i said to her does that mean i get it for free?

She thought about it for a second and then said - Yes you pay us £499 up front then its free for 2 years ??? So when i politely replied - "well its not free then" she hung up!. Shame i was hoping to drag the conversation out a bit longer. Scared to think how many people have fallen for this - maybe in the past when call packages were way more expensive but not recently. In fact i struggled to find a calls only package more than £24 a month anywhere.

I love it when folk string them along.

You’ve given me ideas for when I next waste their time. I think I’ll play thick on percentages, asking for a 101% uplift, with an immediate 201% discount. And can I pay the next 25 years into their account in advance now “as I can you’re someone I can really trust”.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
My wife had a call yesterday from some pr1ck in India. She let him babble in a wee while and then asked him “tell me, does your Mum know what you do for a living? and is she proud of you? Is she thrilled her little boy is conning poor vulnerable people out of their hard earned money?”.

He replied, well, I have to make a living for my family. She then asked “is your Gran alive”, yes he answered. She told him “Go and tell her about your job, and ask her if she’s proud of you stealing from people her age”. At that point he hung up.

Bizarre! That's sounds like the exact conversation I had with a chap last week. Normally, I have a laugh and string them along but this time I also queried the morals of trying to con people. His response was it's the only job he could get. I then questioned how he would feel if it was his elderly mother who had her bank account cleaned out? At this point he broke cover and told me to feck off! Charming!

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Ive not seen an RIP thread on here for him yet.....and won’t hold my breath waiting for it

He was the grand daddy of them all. Makes a few Indians in Bangalore look like a bunch of amateurs.

I saw a few programs about him. He was supposedly audited by one of the big accountancy firms many times and they didn't come up with anything. They did ask some questions but he gave them some old flannel and they believed it and it went on for years - shows what a useless bunch of feckers these so called experts really are.

He also took full advantage of peoples greed, which is the mark of a good grifter. Those people must have realized that the returns he was offering were impossible in the market at that time but were suckered in by the promise of easy money. That also seems to be reason that there was no real sympathy for his victims.

The other thing was he almost got away with it. It was only really the 'too big to fail' financial crash of 2008 that finished him off. Some people suddenly needed liquidity so they needed to withdraw their money from him which of course was no longer there. This left him exposed.

You almost have to admire the guy. He pulled off one of the biggest Ponzi schemes in history in full view of all the regulatory bodies. What are the chances of similar schemes happening again in the future, pretty high I'd say based on people's greed and stupidity

Last edited:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
On our rarely used landline, we just had a call from "Online Support Ltd", 0207 etc.

The Indian sounding scammmer said that working Microsoft, they'd detected that my computer had been down for 24 hours. It hadn't.

I said "I'm very busy, so please can I pay them a very large sum to fix it all for me".

The scammer said there's no need for that at this stage, but I need to call another number (0208 etc) which he gave me. I couldn't be arsed to write it down.

I'm assuming the scam is that the return call will in fact be International and charged at a ridiculous rate?

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Not seen this yet.
Emails from Sainsburys, Tesco and all shopping outlets and online stores.
"Tell us about your Shopping experience and we will offer you an exclusive offer worth £90 or more ��"
From info@776-deutschrezension.club
Had it just been one company I might have clicked through* but I'm getting many every day.
*Of course not, but I would have checked first.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Screenshot_20210416-183256_Messages.jpg

Another cheap scam..........

3 cold calls from indian call centres today - must be having a binge before we all go back to work. ..

him=="Can i speak to Mr (x) please, this is David :)tosser:) from 'your broadband provider'"
me =="I'm his brother and i pay the bills now, how can i help"
him=="We've noticed an increase in traffic on his broadband recently and we would like to offer a one-time upgrade to give him more speed"
me=="AN increase in traffic, thats strange he died last week :sick: , maybe he's trying to communicate to me from beyond the grave"
him=="That's not funny sir, please don't joke about such things"
me=="I'm not joking"
him=="(lump in throat?) Ok sir, goodbye (hangs up!)"

there you go ! some of them are human...

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Here is a new one for me. Call on mobile phone from 'Santander'. Sounded reasonable. The usual 'can I go through a few security questions?'. I said that I am not going to provide my details over the phone. Bloke (who has a British 'Indian' accent, if its possible to invoke such a thing) said that's fine but he can't continue with the call and I should call the bank. Well I did and they told me they had not contacted me and the number I received the call from is not one of theirs. I typed it into google and there are several 'check that number sites'. On one there are hundreds of posts to say the number is legit. On another site it is much clearer that this is not a legitimate number: "Scam, Pretending to be santander bank, Santander does not use this number.".

I have given the number a call. Here is the number 08003890755. It goes to voicemail (which sounds like the usual Santander voicemail voice): "Santander called today. Unfortunately we were not able to get in touch with you".

So I guess the idea is I will get another call from them later, having 'satisfied myself' this is a legitimate caller, and provide them with inappropriate nfo. We shall see....

Stay safe!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports