Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Finance] ******** The Scam Thread *********

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
All those Equity Release Calculator ads that pop up on your timeline? Every damn one makes you fill in your contact details before they even PRETEND to calculate anything at all. Pure scamming ****s

Personally I think these are the next PPI claims waiting to happen, given that you are making no capital repayments and its compounded interest. I wouldn't be surprised that if a few years there will be children left with owing large amounts of money on the property after their parents pass on, or need to go into care,

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
My parents in law ran out of liquid funds, but were both receiving 24/7 permanent live in care in their large detached home in T.Wells. Not for a second did I consider equity release, it really really is the last resort, and the advice framework around selling it should reflect that.

I paid for their care for nearly two years, until they had sadly both passed away peacefully. At the outset we wrote our own loan agreement, signed by both parents in law, and both executors/beneficiaries, such that I was legally able to be reimbursed interest free as a legitimate debt, before the proceeds of the Will were distributed. It was a lot of money, but I estimate we probably saved about £15k relative to going down the equity release route.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Personally I think these are the next PPI claims waiting to happen, given that you are making no capital repayments and its compounded interest. I wouldn't be surprised that if a few years there will be children left with owing large amounts of money on the property after their parents pass on, or need to go into care,

Think you're 100% right about it being the next PPI scam. Except the bit about the children being left in debt. The way I read it is the debt dies with the person. As does the inheritance. Nowt left for kids. Having said that, I guess it might just about make sense for somebody that's got nobody to leave stuff to

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
All those Equity Release Calculator ads that pop up on your timeline? Every damn one makes you fill in your contact details before they even PRETEND to calculate anything at all. Pure scamming ****s

reckon EQ Release will end up as the ‘have you been mis-sold’ claim of the future.

oops, beaten to it :blush:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Another one is interest only mortgages.

Mortgagors are paranoid, belatedly in recent years ‘touching base’ with mortgagees, to check how your plans to repay are faring.

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
Have a few texts recently, I guess on the back of Brexit, from Royal Mail claiming an unpaid shipping fee of £2.99 is to be paid on a parcel and giving you a link to pay it.

Not having any parcels, looked into it, and link is a phishing website. Was from a personal phone number, with the number being searched and reported 300 times according to who-calls.me.uk. Number ends ********8431 has been searched routinely from Brighton. Stay clear.

Have a few texts recently, I guess on the back of Brexit, from Royal Mail claiming an unpaid shipping fee of £2.99 is to be paid on a parcel and giving you a link to pay it.

Not having any parcels, looked into it, and link is a phishing website. Was from a personal phone number, with the number being searched and reported 300 times according to who-calls.me.uk. Number ends ********8431 has been searched routinely from Brighton. Stay clear.

Got a similar one for £2 from 07737959421.

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
Just received an email and looks like I will be able to retire very soon :thumbsup:

Mr. Kim Leang <postgres@kikaku.nakamoto-plan.com>
Fri 05/03/2021 09:31
Greeting!

I am contacting you to receive and share with me an abandoned fund ( $21,537.000.00 ) left in our bank by a deceased customer. I was going through the Internet search when I found your email address. My name is Mr. Kim Leang.

I want to utilize this opportunity and make use of this fund if I should present your name to the bank to stand as his business associate/ trustee for the fund to be released to you via Visa card for easy withdrawals in any VISA ATM machine anywhere in the World.

The bank will also give you international online transfer options. With these you can transfer the funds without any risk.

Should you be interested in working with me in this project? Please reply back and let's benefit from this golden opportunity.You are my first contact.. I shall wait a few days and if I do not hear from you, I shall look for another person.

Thanks and have a nice day,
Mr. Kim Leang

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Just received an email and looks like I will be able to retire very soon :thumbsup:

Mr. Kim Leang <postgres@kikaku.nakamoto-plan.com>
Fri 05/03/2021 09:31
Greeting!

I am contacting you to receive and share with me an abandoned fund ( $21,537.000.00 ) left in our bank by a deceased customer. I was going through the Internet search when I found your email address. My name is Mr. Kim Leang.

I want to utilize this opportunity and make use of this fund if I should present your name to the bank to stand as his business associate/ trustee for the fund to be released to you via Visa card for easy withdrawals in any VISA ATM machine anywhere in the World.

The bank will also give you international online transfer options. With these you can transfer the funds without any risk.

Should you be interested in working with me in this project? Please reply back and let's benefit from this golden opportunity.You are my first contact.. I shall wait a few days and if I do not hear from you, I shall look for another person.

Thanks and have a nice day,
Mr. Kim Leang

Sounds plausible to me. Customers overpaying by 8 figures, then dying and no one wants the money back.

Dirty Dave

Aug 28, 2006
Worthing
Just received the following text:

Royal Mail: Your package has a £2.99 shipping fee, to pay this now visit royal-mail-fee-due.com. Package will be returned to sender if unpaid.

Clearly a scam if anyone receives this

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
Just received the following text:

Royal Mail: Your package has a £2.99 shipping fee, to pay this now visit royal-mail-fee-due.com. Package will be returned to sender if unpaid.

Clearly a scam if anyone receives this

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

I think Royal Mail had a warning regarding this on their website.

Jul 7, 2003
Seems like the home insulation scammers are back targeting Sussex after a few months off. Same guy tried me twice in three days. You would have thought that he would have learned from the first time when I let him speak for a while before using the Air Horn app I downloaded to see these types off but no, he tried again and got the same treatment:lolol:

i have first hand experience with this after my father (who was 75 at the time) remortgaged the house for rewiring and a new roof etc. They offered a no repayment loan (payments optional) which suited my dad at the time but it quickly became apparent this is a bad idea. Interest only the loan was going up 1k every four months and my father was never going to afford it as its nearly half his pension. hence i had to start paying. This is now like noose round our neck, Im never going to raise the money myself to pay off the loan but if i dont make the payments the loan will DOUBLE in just 13 years :eek:

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Looks 100% genuine.

I've just emailed her a copy of my passport, and all my online banking details and passwords. Apparently she needs them to be able to transfer me my money.

Can't wait – this will be life-changing for me and my family! :clap::clap::clap:

My Name is Sheryll Goedert (Managing Member of Vacation Life LLC). I am the winner of $396.9 million Powerball jackpot. I won on Jan 29, 2020.

This Winning is a blessing so we decided to give back to the society which means we are officially notifying you that you have been selected as one of the Beneficiaries of 2020 VACATION LIFE LLC Social Responsibility Cash Aid Program.

Your e-mail address was randomly chosen by the Topaz Ballot System.

You have been awarded the sum of 1.500.000 USD by VACATION LIFE LLC. I only Hope you will be able to help others around you. Email me on (sheryll@goerdert.com) for more information on how to get the donated amount

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here