Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] The satisfactory completion of a job outside of your comfort zone

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
For those of you who have completed tasks, diy or otherwise.....attaboy:clap2:

i know through working with some right numpties, some blokes do not have an aptitude for manual labour or are tool box savvy, but half the battle is the vision of the finished article:thumbsup:

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Bicester Village wait and return from The Riverside Plaza Vauxhall, what a day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fitted a catch to a cupboard door today - ball bearing type purchased for £2.95 from an excellent local hardware shop who even showed me how to adjust it. Amazingly it fitted exactly into the same screw holes and works like a dream, every time I pass it I open and close it and smile inside. Why do my family keep calling me "sad". :)

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Jobs I've attempted and completed.
In 1980, I changed the clutch and gearbox on a Triumph Toledo with the only help coming from a Haynes manual
Last year I fitted our entire kitchen including underfloor heating.

The day job was, at the time of the first, an insurance broker and the latter, a driving instructor. Both jobs done because I'm a tight wad!!!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I put up a pan rack in 2006. It still makes me proud looking at it.

You're my hero.

I once put up a shelf above the sink.
It's ever so slightly off, I'm pretty sure only I can see it, but I can and it haunts me!!

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Sorted one of my customers gynaecological matters out with just basic carpentry tools.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
So, I turned the second to last screw and 90 or 180 degrees and BOOM .... water everywhere.

I ran downstairs and turned off the water and sat and realised I was right, I should never be doing this sh!t. Bloke turned up, puts some sort of sleeve thing on it and I flogged the bloody house, never again have I tried anything similar.

Bit severe moving just because of a leak

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Is rather rewarding, isn't it?

Not being particularly Alpha (and somewhat intimidated by my 'this afternoon I'm going to build an office in my garden' neighbour) it's rare that I embark on a task, with everything required ready, a clear understanding of what needs to be done and most crucially of all, it going pretty much too plan.

Sure the 5 minute job took about 3 hours, but old Mickey 'Magnolia' Angelo, didn't hurry perfection so why should I?

Anyone else recently spent back from a task and thought:-

'Shiver me timbers, I've done a bloody good job on that'.

Good thread. Nice and cheery :cheers:

Anything outside my comfort zone, I plan carefully. When it comes off, the feeling is great. Most things outside my comfort zone require long term planning, accomodation for contingency, and acceptance of a sometimes wide level of uncertainty, all of which stress the absolute shit out of me.

Getting the extension built was probably my biggest nightmare challenge, and it took me a year after the job was done, to finally look at it without expecting it to collapse, be able to consider it lovely and worth the absurd inflated expense and.....exhale :lolol:

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Bit severe moving just because of a leak

It wasn't just the leek, is was the carrots and turnips too, they were a veggielanty group!

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
I don't usually attempt any diy tasks as I hate them and am pretty useless at them, so I pay someone to do it for me. However, I did google how to change a thingamyjig in the cistern 'cos the bog wouldn't flush and it still works. I have also got rid of an air lock in the hot water by connecting the washing machine's cold water supply to the hot water supply and giving it a quick blast.I seriously wouldn't trust myself with anything more complicated.
That me done.???:D

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I don't usually attempt any diy tasks as I hate them and am pretty useless at them, so I pay someone to do it for me.

There is definitely a balance to be struck on this.

Whilst there is absolutely huge satisfaction to be had, in resolving some things yourself, you do have to pick your battles - there's little point spending a day toiling on something you don't enjoy, don't have the proper tools for, and are unlikely to do well anyway, if you could pay a skilled tradesman to do properly - at the cost of less than a day's worth of your own wages.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
For those who indulge in a little DIY ( no sniggering, I mean home improvements, etc) get yourself a multi tool. I got one for Christmas, best bit of kit I have ever owned.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
There is definitely a balance to be struck on this.

Whilst there is absolutely huge satisfaction to be had, in resolving some things yourself, you do have to pick your battles - there's little point spending a day toiling on something you don't enjoy, don't have the proper tools for, and are unlikely to do well anyway, if you could pay a skilled tradesman to do properly - at the cost of less than a day's worth of your own wages.

Couldn't agree more.
I am retired and have plenty of time on my hands, but little diy ability and virtually no proper tools.
What I have done, is cultivate a small number of reliable tradesmen who charge reasonable prices and live locally. It works well and often these guys and girls can recommend someone they know if another trade is required.
P.S.Luckily, my daughter's other half is an electrician and this has helped more than a bit.:smile:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here