Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Sad Demise Of The F A Cup...

Jan 30, 2008
A replay and a mid week trip to bradford v millwall???
ha ha , don't forget your half and half scarf???, my brother in law went to the old Den to see Bradford years back when they heard his accent they took him to a police officer and told him to put him in with the Bradford fans bless em:angel: are you in with the youth top tier:D
regards
DR

jamie the seagull

Jul 27, 2011
Team's do not take the cup seriously anymore so neither do I (based on number of 1st team players rested).
£10 on Saturday....they would not charge that for a league game.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The FA Cup is a great competition until your side gets knocked out, after which is becomes a bit 'meh'. I never missed a final from 1975 to 1996, after that I've not been that fussed.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I think in recent years it's moved closer to its old self - teams taking it more seriously etc... Hopefully it can get back to how it was but I doubt it...

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
On the contrary, I'd be very pleased to see us go through. A win's a win, and it'll do the players (and Hughton) good to get a victory in his first game, especially following on from the performance at Fulham. I know what you're saying about distractions, but I don't think the season is so far advanced yet that we should turn down the lift that a little cup run might give everyone.

If we lose, it's no great drama, but if we win, it should keep the positive vibe going.

Absolutely this!!

The REF

Jun 30, 2012
yes it's a free go for CH...enjoy it if we win ,learn something if we lose etc.
regarding the overall theme of this thread...have to say the FA cup is nothing like as good as it once was.
One example : 5th round 14 Feb 1976 Stamford Bridge when 2nd div Chelsea hosted 3rd div Palace....over 54000 crowd great game decided by a delicate free kick from Peter ( ex manager) Taylor after a shocking dive from Alan Whittle. Jimmy Hill in shock over a chelsea fan who's kung fu kick on a palace fan should in no doubt result in the loss of his pocket money. Palace under Malcolm Allison went on to lose 2 0 to Saints ,again at the Bridge in the semi-final , ...Bobby Stokes scored the only goal as saints beat Man U in Final.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
It's probably lost for the top teams as they get to Europe etc but for me it's another chance to get to grounds I haven't been to yet, I now follow Bury's FA results and hope they get to the third round!

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Much as I normally object to games being shifted to odd kick off times at the whim of the TV companies, I'll admit the BBC's coverage of the early rounds of the cup this year has been excellent.

For those who've missed it, they've shifted a number of games to the Sunday so they can have a SkySports style, rolling scores show, and it's been brilliant. I never knew how compelling it could be to watch Aldershot v Pompey on the scores ticker, while they had cameras and regular updates from all the grounds. Felt like proper old school cup day once again.

That said, their coverage of Arsenal v Hull this weekend isn't likely to excite many people. But nonetheless, there are a few really classic cup ties in prospect. Wimbledon v Liverpool. Shrewsbury (I think it's Shrewsbury?? Someone like that) v Everton. Dover against Palace.

Great stuff.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Correction. No idea where I got that Shrewsbury game from :lol:

But Blyth Spartans v Birmingham, Tranmere v Swansea, West Brom v Gateshead, Yeovil v Man United: textbook FA Cup :clap:

I bet Stuart Pearce isn't exactly looking forward to a trip to Rochdale either. That could finish him off if Forest were to lose there.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I can't wait for my very favouritiest commentary cliche:-

'Chelsea (whoever) certainly don't want a replay'.

Well Mr Commentator if that actually was the case, Terry would just boot the ball into his own net when the clock strikes 90 mins.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
On the contrary, I'd be very pleased to see us go through. A win's a win, and it'll do the players (and Hughton) good to get a victory in his first game, especially following on from the performance at Fulham. I know what you're saying about distractions, but I don't think the season is so far advanced yet that we should turn down the lift that a little cup run might give everyone.

If we lose, it's no great drama, but if we win, it should keep the positive vibe going.

Also winning/drawing might give us a bit of confidence as we go into our league game with the same side in a fortnight rather than the memories of 2 defeats

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I can't wait for my very favouritiest commentary cliche:-

'Chelsea (whoever) certainly don't want a replay'.

Well Mr Commentator if that actually was the case, Terry would just boot the ball into his own net when the clock strikes 90 mins.

Just a point of order: I don't think John Terry needs the FA Cup to encourage him to boot the ball into his own net.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
The FA are completely to blame for this.

Our game away to Burnley has been moved to Monday night.

It's not on tv, they just moved it which makes it impossible to get back to London after the game by train.

I would love for Spurs to win the FA cup, but the FA have made it further down the list of prioritys with clubs by scheduling

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Yep, can't argue that some of the less interesting games (eg Burnley v Spurs, Hull v the Arse) have been moved unnecessarily.

When I said the BBC changing the early round games was good, that was because it gave an increased profile to clubs (Aldershot, Hartlepool, Weston Super Mare) that would never normally get on TV.

But nobody outside North London or Lancashire cares about Burnley or Spurs, so that's just an annoyance for their fans.

Yoda

English & European
Speaking of the FA Cup, but slightly off topic, does anyone remember this bad boy of a board game?
pic1235618_md.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here