Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Sad Demise Of The F A Cup...

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Great programme on BBC3 (i think) last night from 9pm to 11.....50 greatest FA cup moments. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

Lots of great memories. It's hard to pick a favourite. For finals, the Southampton victory over Manchester United in 1976. Semi-Finals, remember Chesterfield being cheated out of a place in the final in 1997 ?

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
In terms of prestige it's recovered a bit. Face it there used to be 3 European competitions worth winning but now it's maybe one and a half. There's still only 3 domestic competitions you can win and I think I'm right in saying that no club has won the domestic treble. The pressure put on Man U to withdraw from the competition to play in some crap FIFA tournament was one of the biggest scandals/ mistakes in football.

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
I think it is a great competition. Do not think either Brighton or Brentford will field weakened teams and if they do I shall be furious! We don't have another game for a week ffs.

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
In terms of prestige it's recovered a bit. Face it there used to be 3 European competitions worth winning but now it's maybe one and a half. There's still only 3 domestic competitions you can win and I think I'm right in saying that no club has won the domestic treble. The pressure put on Man U to withdraw from the competition to play in some crap FIFA tournament was one of the biggest scandals/ mistakes in football.
Think Liverpool did the first season the europe ban came in?
The FA pressured Man Utd at the time to play in a World Club Championship in a vain attempt to get votes for a World Cup bid, or so I was told. It's the sort of thing they would do.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Another good point of note. The Manchester United saga was indeed a real blow to the competition.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Normally always look forward to the Cup,however in view of our present position in the league a quick exit would be safer,thinking particularly of injuries.

On the contrary, I'd be very pleased to see us go through. A win's a win, and it'll do the players (and Hughton) good to get a victory in his first game, especially following on from the performance at Fulham. I know what you're saying about distractions, but I don't think the season is so far advanced yet that we should turn down the lift that a little cup run might give everyone.

If we lose, it's no great drama, but if we win, it should keep the positive vibe going.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I remember holding my breath when Connor was put through, and the ecstasy when the ball hit the back of the net. Great memories.

I love the cup.

:)

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
the best cup competition in the world!

sure remember Leatherhead & Walton,but that's the cup

other games vivid in the memory

Pompey,Crawley,Arsenal,Palace (3 times!),Leeds & B'muff

on a footnote,scousers being done by southampton at highbury on the pitch

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I think it is a great competition. Do not think either Brighton or Brentford will field weakened teams and if they do I shall be furious! We don't have another game for a week ffs.

I'm going to guess you'll need to put your most furious trousers on for Saturday then.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Jimmy Case makes a good point in his book that he thinks most Albion fans wouldn't have swapped staying in the First Division in '83 for reaching the FA Cup Final. I'd agree with that. Those memories will live with me forever, whereas league positions for most clubs of our standing will always fluctuate. He feels it's a shame modern footballers seem to have lost sight of that.

(That said, he does rather undermine his own argument by talking extensively about our win over Liverpool in '84 being at Anfield, right down to the crowd being silent at the end. Hmmm. Sloppy mistake for the publishers to let through, along with spelling errors like 'Catlin' and, more understandably I suppose, 'Toppolino's').

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
First fa cup final I went to was dirty leeds vs arsenal in 1972 . Leeds won 1-0 . Good final.

Remember the finals well..cameras on the trains taking fans to Wembley, cup final "it's a knockout", jimmy hill getting fans to write cup final songs, cup final penalty shoot outs etc. now it's just another game that only the teams involved care about.

In my day there was two live games on every year.....European cup final and f a cup final. Now we even have shit conference games on live.

It's not the game I remember

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Its a great competition and i will be there Saturday. But times move on so my input is to give the winner a champions league place.

Guerrero

Jul 17, 2010
Near Alicante.Spain
Jimmy Case makes a good point in his book that he thinks most Albion fans wouldn't have swapped staying in the First Division in '83 for reaching the FA Cup Final. I'd agree with that. Those memories will live with me forever, whereas league positions for most clubs of our standing will always fluctuate. He feels it's a shame modern footballers seem to have lost sight of that.

(That said, he does rather undermine his own argument by talking extensively about our win over Liverpool in '84 being at Anfield, right down to the crowd being silent at the end. Hmmm. Sloppy mistake for the publishers to let through, along with spelling errors like 'Catlin' and, more understandably I suppose, 'Toppolino's').

Ask Hughton if he would rather stay up or make the FA Cup final.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
My first memory is 1970 (aged funnily enough, 7). Our family being from south London were all supporting Chelsea so, in my contrary fashion, I wanted Leeds to win (I foolishly followed them for about 3 years). That was my first taste of FA cup disappointment. Certainly not my last.

Yes, the Cup has lost the glamour for the reasons expressed in the article however, I still look forward to the competition. Never miss a home FA Cup tie and was lucky enough to go to Anfield back in 83. The premier league's chase for money and the same for Champions League have done for the FA Cup.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here