Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] The Ryder Cup

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Americans got the broom out and went with youth. Europe will now need to do the same. Feel sorry for Rahm - must have an extremely sore back.

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
Hoping this free £5 bet comes in… 664C7360-BDC1-4F21-8924-0A6B3DBD9E95.jpeg

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Americans got the broom out and went with youth. Europe will now need to do the same. Feel sorry for Rahm - must have an extremely sore back.

Nine players weren't selected in the conventional sense - they qualified by performance, so are you suggesting that the qualification criteria is changed?

With the three captain picks, hindsight is a wonderful thing, but if you're going to criticise the selection of Poulter, you'd have to also criticise the selection of Garcia. Both in their 40s and not at their prime, but capable of raising their game in this unique format.

The top 12 world-ranked Europeans currently are:

1. Jon Rahm
14. Viktor Hovland
15. Rory McIlroy
19. Tyrrell Hatton
24. Paul Casey
27. Matt Fitzpatrick
35. Lee Westwood
37. Tommy Fleetwood
42. Shane Lowry
43. Sergio Garcia
44. Justin Rose
50. Ian Poulter

All but Rose, who would also fail your "in with youth" test, made the team. Who are you suggesting should have been selected?

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Nine players weren't selected in the conventional sense - they qualified by performance, so are you suggesting that the qualification criteria is changed?

With the three captain picks, hindsight is a wonderful thing, but if you're going to criticise the selection of Poulter, you'd have to also criticise the selection of Garcia. Both in their 40s and not at their prime, but capable of raising their game in this unique format.

The top 12 world-ranked Europeans currently are:

1. Jon Rahm
14. Viktor Hovland
15. Rory McIlroy
19. Tyrrell Hatton
24. Paul Casey
27. Matt Fitzpatrick
35. Lee Westwood
37. Tommy Fleetwood
42. Shane Lowry
43. Sergio Garcia
44. Justin Rose
50. Ian Poulter

All but Rose, who would also fail your "in with youth" test, made the team. Who are you suggesting should have been selected?

You’re right. The post was a general reaction to seeing Europe getting hammered. Nevertheless, if Harrington and his vice captains had had six picks, like Stricker, it’s doubtful the team would’ve been any different to the one picked. US just played great golf.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
You’re right. The post was a general reaction to seeing Europe getting hammered. Nevertheless, if Harrington and his vice captains had had six picks, like Stricker, it’s doubtful the team would’ve been any different to the one picked. US just played great golf.

Apologies - that reply was somewhat more confrontational than intended.

I *love* the Ryder Cup - I actually applied for tickets for this one (which was before the world went crazy), and I'm as gutted as anyone that the three days of viewing I was looking forward to was a complete non-event.

Whilst the American team is nearly always (possibly always always) better than the European team on paper, we seem to have had the ability to perform better than the sum of our parts, whilst the Americans often under-perform. This time that wasn't the case though, and they were simply better all the way through. I'm not sure there was anything we could have done to have been in with a credible shout, which is a massive shame.

Roll on Rome...

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The best Americans are simply far better at golf than the best Europeans just now. They now totally dominate leaderboards at majors.

Plus home advantage.

This was very predictable, I hope no one enriched the bookies with a sizeable bet on Europe.

No need for blood letting or the blame game. We’re just miles behind them.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Predictable outcome.

Maybe not by quite that scoreline but in terms of teams right now it was a total mismatch.

The US right now not only have some of the top golfers in the world but they also had 8/9 of them absolutely bang in form which was always going to be a struggle.

However 2 years is a long time In golf, whilst I’m sure a fair chunk of that American side will be in Rome they might not be quite so fortunate with their form. Justin Thomas for example was in free fall not so long ago and has turned it round.

I can see the Europeans taking a huge knee jerk and changing their selection policy to have more wildcards which might not be a bad thing, might allow them to pick some form players rather than some who did a lot of their qualification over 12 months before the event.

Hats off to the Americans, dominated and deserved it.

Go again in 2 years

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Box office viewing from the States for 3 days, if you love golf you can't have not loved the quality of their golf, sensational. Brooks, Bryson et al were a joy to watch. It's been a very long time since they've won in Europe but they will be hell bent on putting that right in 2 years time, whilst it should be closer and we can alter the course to our advantage I can't see anything but another American romp.

HalfaSeatOn

Mar 17, 2014
North West Sussex
If you’re in the top 50 in the world, you are capable of beating anyone ON YOUR DAY. As good as the US are, just not enough european players in form to make it their day.

HalfaSeatOn

Mar 17, 2014
North West Sussex
As a golf fan, fed mainly on the Majors and PGA tour, I don’t have the partisanship like football. Morikawa my favourite golfer for example. It was still a great golfing event in my eyes just not a very competitive one.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here